This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby Squareoflinoleum » Mar 18, 2019 8:16 am

Hey all!

A little about me, I grew up with the Narnia books. Mainly, I loved listening to them as books on tape as a kid (not the dramatized version though). I really enjoyed the movies when they came out. Well, Voyage of the Dawn Treader was a mess as far as movies goes. But anyway, I'm excited now to see what Netflix will do with the franchise. As for some non-Narnia facts, I'm an Electrician by trade and have about a year to go to finish my apprenticeship. And, I love music. I took piano as a kid and still play now, though not quite at the level I used to (I went to grade 9 RCM for all those who know what that means). Anyways, I look forward to chatting with you all in the future!
Squareoflinoleum
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Phill Lytle » Mar 18, 2019 8:36 am

johobbit wrote:Ditto Rose's comment about you joining after having lurked for so long, Phill Lytle! Do your kids enjoy the Chronicles too? :)

My kids do enjoy them, especially my eldest.
"Every tear will be redeemed in the hands of God." - J.J. Heller

Rambling Ever On - Finding Truth, Beauty, and Joy in Life
Phill Lytle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi there, Squareoflinoleum!
That's one of the most interesting names I've seen on here. Perhaps you'll tell us about its origins?

Anyway, welcome!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » Mar 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Wonderful, Phill Lytle! :D

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Squareoflinoleum. I ditto coracle's query about your username. It is very unique and fun, but what is the story behind it?

And, I love music. I took piano as a kid and still play now, though not quite at the level I used to (I went to grade 9 RCM for all those who know what that means).

I have my grade 9 RCM, as well! *high fives* I took a bit of grade 10 at university, and received the equivalent level through Waterloo U, rather than through RCM. It was tough, but so worth it. And I can relate: I have sadly lost so much over the years—mainly technique—with not keeping up hours of practicing each day. :P Still, I enjoy sitting down and playing for my own pleasure, as well as at church services sometimes.

All the best in your electrical apprenticeship! Glad to have you here! :) (And ditto about the VotDT movie. 8-| )
johobbit

Postby Squareoflinoleum » Mar 20, 2019 8:12 am

coracle wrote:Hi there, Squareoflinoleum!
That's one of the most interesting names I've seen on here. Perhaps you'll tell us about its origins?

Haha. The origin has two parts that goe back to my childhood. First, I love the Asterix series of comics and have collected most of them. In those comics, for those who don't know, the authors really enjoyed giving the characters interesting and funny names. For instance, one of the main side characters in the story, a druid, his name is "getafix"! :p Or some of the names are way out there, like "herendethelesson"! =)) Second, I loved playing video games as a kid too, FPS's like Battlefield 2 and the like. So, for my gamer handle, I chose Squareoflinoleum. I've stuck with it ever since! :)

coracle wrote:I have my grade 9 RCM, as well! *high fives* I took a bit of grade 10 at university, and received the equivalent level through Waterloo U, rather than through RCM. It was tough, but so worth it. And I can relate: I have sadly lost so much over the years—mainly technique—with not keeping up hours of practicing each day. :P Still, I enjoy sitting down and playing for my own pleasure, as well as at church services sometimes.

Thanks. It is hard to maintain one's piano after school. But, it's not too bad. While I'm not at the same level anymore, I definitely try to keep it up where I can. Church is one area I do that. Around Christmas, I play accompaniment on the piano for a Christmas choir. That really helps keep me sharp, pun intended! ;)
Squareoflinoleum
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Jonathan Paravel » Jun 28, 2019 1:38 am

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Jonathan Paravel.

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King (But not a High King)

3. Family (single/married/kids): Single

4. Occupation: I am a disability support worker and I also teach beginners piano to a couple kids. I have been a primary school teacher in the past.

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: It was either in 2004 or 2005 but I don't know for sure. I remember seeing a news article about the 2005 LWW film and shortly after that, I found NarniaWeb. I posted a very very tiny bit on the NarniaWeb forum about 2005 under the name the3rdkid. I have checked the news on Narniaweb every couple of months over the years. However it has been since about August 2017 that I have become much more involved. I have listened to all the Talking Beasts Podcasts since then. I enjoy commenting on the Podcast pages. I am also an active member of the Talking Beasts FB page. For a time (in 2018) I went by the name "Jonathan Paper". However in the last 6 months, I changed my FB username to "Jonathan Paravel" - because I wanted to take off my real name. So, since I was posting on the Talking Beasts FB page as "Jonathan Paravel", I changed my name to that when posting on Narniaweb.

This might sound confusing! So basically if anyone (somehow) remembers the name "Jonathan Paper", that is me. But now not.

I enjoy the debates, discussions and opinions about Narnia screen adaptations. I enjoy being part of a fan group. And I love Narnia :)

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Age 7 or 8. I read them on my mother's 1970s box set which she had never read herself. The box set cover had coloured pictures which looked very similar to the illustrations by Pauline Baynes. It depicted an assortment of Narnias characters walking somewhere in a grassy glen. There were nymphs, animals and Puddleglum. I think on the top or bottom of the box there was a guinea pig with a ring attached :). Now I own a recently-published hardcover box set which has the colour Baynes illustrations throughout.

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: At least 3 times each... but I am not sure.

8. Favorite of the Chronicles: The Horse and His Boy. The reason? Because it is an exciting story which is heartwarming but also is more complex than a lot of children's books.

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I play piano. I can improvise in a personal style based on classical music and film scores. I have sung to 20,000 people in a stadium (a capella) in a small choir of 7 people. That was singing the Australian National Anthem at my university's graduation ceremony.
Evacuating London and The Battle by Harry Gregson-Williams are some of the best film score ever written.
I too was changed when I met the Lion.
Jonathan Paravel
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby fantasia » Jun 28, 2019 8:20 am

Super excited to have you on the forum Jonathan! I've seen you on the FB pages for quite some time, though I'm not terribly active on there myself.

I posted a very very tiny bit on the NarniaWeb forum about 2005 under the name the3rdkid.
You know, it's so funny, I remember the "old" users better than the ones who were here during our busiest time and had way more posts and activity. That time kind of blurs for me. ;)) I definitely remember your username though.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jun 28, 2019 11:34 am

Welcome, officially, to the NarniaWeb forum, Jonathan Paravel . Really glad to have you join the community here. :D
johobbit

Postby coracle » Jun 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Hello again, just realised I hadn't revisited this thread so never knew how Squareoflinoleum got their name. Now I do!
(Did you know that the writers of Asterix wrote in French? There were strict rules about any translations: there had to be the same number of puns in each section (page?) but not necessarily in the same place, and the names had to be funny for the translation language, not direct translations of the original. I'm a real fan of the books, and was once a Roman soldier in a play of one of them).

The second quote you included was from Jo Hobbit, not me, by the way. :)

Jonathan Paravel
, welcome back! - although it sounds as if you never left. Not sure whether I remember your first username, but I was around back then, so I will have seen you.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 28, 2019 8:06 pm

A hearty welcome to you, Jonathan Paravel! :-h Always good to see you in the comments section or on fb, so it's great to have you on the forum as well! And I think I remember your username from way-back-when as well, although I was but a humble lurker in those distant days. ;))

Enjoy exploring the forum, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby The Old Maid » Jul 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Well, I'm back in the neighborhood, if you'll have me :ymhug:

(Although I won't always be here weekly ...)

By the way, I tried to send a PM to a mod and my PM system is acting up. I thought maybe the recipient's inbox was full, but then I couldn't save the draft either. All I got was an error message saying

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at web@sparkweb.net to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache Server at forum.narniaweb.com Port 443

Just wondering if I was the only one. Stranger still is that I could send a test message to myself, just not to someone else.
It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone
The Old Maid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Jul 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Wow, hi, The Old Maid! :-h It's been awhile, yes, indeedy. I hope you have been well. :)

Thanks for mentioning this issue. Hopefully someone will look into that soon.
johobbit

Postby The Old Maid » Jul 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi yourself!

Turns out I can't send a PM to you either. There are four choices: load, save draft, preview, or submit. I get the same error message on all of them.

Anyhow, my site crashed and I rebuilt it. Then added some. Without taking over the thread, basically this is what I've been up to: https://potluck2point0.wordpress.com/20 ... o-find-it/ ...

It's exhausting! :-o

Great go see everyone again!
It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone
The Old Maid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jul 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello The Old Maid! Good to see you again. :D

I'm sorry your PMs aren't working. I will say real fast a small group of us are working to update the forum to a more mobile friendly site. I'm not sure how close we are, but it's definitely coming together. So at this time we're not fixing broken things, and ironically, several things seem to be breaking... :-s :-?

Hopefully in the very near future we'll have a shiny, new, error-free forum!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 04, 2019 9:57 am

Popping in to say hi to TheOldMaid! Good to see you on the forums again! :-h (And good luck with building your site... you have my sympathy! ;)))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Will_Wise » Jul 25, 2019 5:54 pm

1. Name: Will Wise
2. King or Queen of Narnia: King
3. Family: Single
4. Occupation: Historian/Grad Student
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Found the site the year the LWW movie came out, and Lurked here for years.
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: ten. I found the books in my elementary school library, read all of them before 5th grade was over.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Dozens of times over the years.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Prince Caspian. It was good seeing the Pevinsies one last time!
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I LOVE collecting comics, playing retro video games, and reading. I also do some fanfic writing for various fanfics on the side.
Will_Wise
NarniaWeb Newbie

PreviousNext