Books: 2nd Edition

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: Books: 2nd Edition

Postby Avra » Mar 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: Robin Hobb
I read a book of hers over 10 years ago at the library, and have wanted to reread it ever since. Unfortunately, I clean forgot a) the title and b) the author’s name. I just now rediscovered it: it was The Blue Sword!
I did this before with a book called The Best of All Possible World’s by Karen Lord. Thankfully, that only took me half a decade to rediscover, instead of the entire decade.
Anybody else ever done that?
Sheldon: A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink. The bartender replies "for you, no charge".

Proud sister of an Aspie (Aspergers)
Hannah's Scribblings
Avra
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby flambeau » Mar 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Well, here I am, posting for the first time in *checks notes* almost four years. :ymblushing: I don't even know where to start on what I've been reading in that amount of time, so I guess I'll just give an update on what I've done so far this year. I'm planning on reading 52 books this year; I started out strong, lost all motivation in February for life-related reasons, and am just starting to get my reading feet under me again.

1: Caraval, Stephanie Garber. I can't say I was impressed. The story concept could have been cool, but I felt the execution was lacking and the author's prose was much too purple for my tastes. I won't be continuing the series. 2/5.
2: Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel. I enjoyed it well enough, but came away with more questions about the world-building than answers. Decent writing though, so I'll give it a 3.5/5.
3: The Talented Mr. Ripley, Patricia Highsmith. Creepy, but so, so good if you like dark and twisted characters. I enjoy them in moderation and Tom Ripley certainly makes an impression. 4/5.
4: Maisie Dobbs, Jacqueline Winspear. I didn't find it engaging at first and I figured out the mystery plot pretty quickly, but I'm glad I stuck with it because I really liked the ending. Will be continuing the series. 4/5.
5: Close Range, Annie Proulx. I picked this one up at work because I was in the mood for short stories. The writing was very moody and atmospheric, but I didn't much care for the stories themselves. 3/5 because it kept my attention and distracted me from things I didn't want to think about.
6: This Savage Song, Victoria Schwab. I really enjoy Schwab's work and this was no exception. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where monsters exist and humans fight one another for control, the question of what truly makes someone a monster is an appropriate one (this is a recurring theme in her work so if that's a question you find intriguing then I'd recommend giving her novels a try. Vicious is a personal favorite). 4/5.
7: The Archived, Victoria Schwab. Ghosthunting teenagers trying to solve a mystery that someone doesn't want them to solve. It was an enjoyable read and I've already borrowed the sequel from the library. 4/5.

The reading list never gets any shorter, but I'm hoping to make a dent in it. I miss the days when I could read 150 books in a year with no trouble.

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 18, 2019 1:09 pm

flambeau! :ymhug: It's so nice to see on you on the forum. :)

Due to family stuff it took longer for me to finish The Sky Above Us than I thought possible, but I did finish it Sunday afternoon. I liked Adler and Violet better than Wyatt and Dorothy (main characters in The Sea Before Us), but I think the pacing of the plot was better in The Sea Before Us. Love/hate the parallel stories in each book of the series, if all the books are available to would be super cool...but now it's almost a year until the final book will be released and I need to know now how the brothers are all three reconciled. /:)

My next fiction read is Searching For You (Orphan Train #3) by Jody Hedlund.

Still reading Spearhead by Adam Makos, it's harder to read than most of the WWII nonfiction I have read. It's very well written, just a hard subject. The people seem more real in this book than a lot of what I've read and oh, there are so many deaths.

SnowAngel
"The person who understands the lovingkindness of God
is always ready to persistently seek, ask, and knock on the door
that opens up to a world they have done nothing to deserve."
~Michael Card

SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Previous