The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby fantasia » Mar 13, 2019 1:03 pm

I REALLY want to see Apollo 11. It's not here though. I'm sure it'll turn up on Netflix or Amazon Prime at some point... or even on "old fashioned" dvds. ;))

Re: AJ's post. I'll probably take a pass on HtTYD3 then. I've seen too many sequels that I don't care for and it even casts the original that I love into a less desirable category. (Pirates of the Caribbean as an example.) And... I'm tired of sequels.

As for Captain Marvel, I haven't seen it yet, and I am interested, but thanks to the reviews I'll be going in with low expectations and I'll probably end up liking it a lot. :)) I tend to find I often go against the grain.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby starkat » Mar 13, 2019 1:41 pm

I hope y'all get to see it. I'm not surprised Houston has it due to being home of the center the mission was run out of. It's one of the few films I'd recommend for families with kids because the way it's cut together, it keeps it moving.

I'm probably going to wait to see Captain Marvel till it hits DVD because of finances and the fact the main reason I want to see it is the piece of Nick Fury's history.
starkat

Postby stargazer » Mar 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Apollo 11 is here but I'll likely end up seeing it (perhaps this upcoming week) in a non-IMAX theater.

I'll probably wait for the DVD of Captain Marvel.
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » Mar 18, 2019 1:24 pm

fantasia wrote:As for Captain Marvel, I haven't seen it yet, and I am interested, but thanks to the reviews I'll be going in with low expectations and I'll probably end up liking it a lot. :)) I tend to find I often go against the grain.

I just saw it this weekend and that was more or less my response, though I'm not sure I'd say I liked it "a lot". Then again, I'm not entirely sure I'd say I didn't. ;)) I guess the best way to describe it is that the movie kept me entertained and interested the entire time, which is honestly more than I can say about many of the recent Marvel movies. However, I wouldn't say I was engaged emotionally, not the way I want to be in a really good movie. I still cheer at several moments in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (admittedly my favorite movie, not just Marvel movie), but even watching Captain Marvel for the first time I never really did that.

I do have a couple of gripes, which are fairly significant spoilers:
1) I thought the "reveal" of how Nick Fury lost his eye was completely underwhelming. I'd prefer not to know over having it be that. Plus, well, it doesn't really mesh well with what he says in Winter Soldier about it: "The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Maybe he was lying then to sell his point to Cap, but still.
2) I could feel the corner the writers were trying to write themselves out of at the end of the movie, after the Accusers showed up. I feel like they knew that justifying Captain Marvel fighting them off without making her too overpowered was nearly impossible, so the one warhead she turns around completely destroys all the others, and the Accusers decide to run away and never (never?!) return after they see what she can do.

For those who might want to see it because Avengers: Endgame is coming out so soon:
SHOW SPOILER "Possible minor spoilers"
frankly, I'm not sure that's necessary. There's an end credits scene, but it honestly is a scene that had to happen eventually, somehow or another. I suspect that the most you'll need to be able to understand from this movie is that Captain Marvel knew Nick Fury ~25 years prior when she first became a hero. And she's really, really powerful.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Previous