This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Accents in the New Series

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Accents in the New Series

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 25, 2019 5:05 pm

coracle wrote:Puddleglum32, the Hispanic accents were an unfortunate mixture of accents, making it unrealistic - if they were all from the same stock, why did they speak differently? ;)

No problem! Sounds like Australia. Or worse, UK. ;) :D Professor 'Enery 'Iggins well might sing "Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?" It is a wonder that the lyrics of that song never even mention what in Victorian times were called "The Antipodes"
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby aragorn2 » Mar 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Thank you, Coracle! We'll see :)

Honestly, if a mishmash of Mediterranean accents was the price we had to pay to get the fantastic trio of Sergio Castellitto, Pierfrancesco Favino and Damian Alcazar, I think it was well worth it.

Every scene with any of those guys is just fantastic.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Mar 07, 2019 1:21 pm

They were certainly wonderful performers.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm actually kind of glad they got rid of the whole accent thing for VDT. I'm not sure what I would think of Ben Barnes talking with a Spanish accent for the whole thing. :|
Would an Eastern kind of accent work for Jadis, BTW?
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby JFG II » Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Accents in the new Narnia series: I’m not interested in the typical English movie accents for the Narnian characters, and not even for the kids. I’m genuinely open to all sorts of UK dialects so long as they fit the characters (Ex.: In LotR, Pippin is Scottish sounding, which makes little sense for Hobbits but works wonderfully for his character :P).

Just for The Magician’s Nephew, the Accents should reflect where the characters came from:
Digory is a well-off country boy who moved to London. Polly is a typical middle-class London girl. Uncle Andrew is of unknown English lineage, probably well educated. Jadis is of unknownable royal non-English lineage with streaks of cruelty, and happens to speak English. Aslan is Himself, yet he’s surrounded by all kinds of animals, many of them from Africa and Asia.

I hope the new filmmakers get creative!!!
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Cleander wrote:I'm actually kind of glad they got rid of the whole accent thing for VDT. I'm not sure what I would think of Ben Barnes talking with a Spanish accent for the whole thing. :|
Would an Eastern kind of accent work for Jadis, BTW?

Actually they didn't quite. In VDT the film crew were working mainly on Australia/New Zealand sets & locations, where even any Aussie extras they used surely knew enough not to sound too idiomatically Australian. The Dawn Treader, itself, partially dismantled, was housed in a warehouse at Movie World at Coomera on the Gold Coast, south of Brisbane.

Speaking of Australians, there was one, Cate Blanchette, who spoke in this terrible voice for some depictions of Galadriel. Something like that for Jadis might scare the audience to its wits though. I doubt that an Eastern accent would be appropriate.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Previous