This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Extended Edition

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Extended Edition

Postby jewel » Mar 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Tonight I'm finished watching the Extended Edition the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I have seen it before but it's been a little while.
I have several questions on this post including do you prefer the extended edition or theatrical? I personally preferred the extended because of the additional scenes of the battle.
Next, would like to see Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader released as an extended edition! I most certainly would! Of course, I am not sure if there is much footage they deleted from the Theatrical editions.
Last, what scene from the Narnia books do you wish most would have been added into the movies? For me it was the scene in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in which the small Lamb turns into the great lion Aslan.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Extended Edition

Postby Col Klink » Mar 02, 2019 10:18 pm

I like the part of the extended edition where the Pevensies and the beavers walk by the stone table during spring and the part with the harpies (I think) during the battle. I don't remember liking any of the other parts they added though.

Technically, this scene is in the LWW movie but I really wish the scene of the statues being restored to life had been slower paced. I just loved Lewis' description of that in the book and was so looking forward to seeing it in the movie. What we got felt very anti-climactic. :(

I also wish the character of Capsian's nurse had been in the PC movie as well as the transformation of Beruna. I felt like in the movie it was a lot clearer what the Narnians were fighting against than what they were fighting for which made the ending less satisfying. Restoring those things to the plot would have helped that.

I also wish that Reepicheep's response to Aslan's accusation that he thinks too much about his honor from the book had been kept. It would have made Reepicheep a more multidimensional character
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepi » Mar 03, 2019 5:21 am

Some versions of PC that were shown on TV had some of the deleted scenes added back in, but this was only a few of the deleted scenes that are available on the special features that didn't have any CG.

Generally, I like what they did with the LWW extended edition, but it's obvious the added parts didn't receive nearly as much polish as the rest of the movie - especially the harpies and gryphons during the added battle scenes.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Cleander » Mar 03, 2019 3:27 pm

I actually just got the Extended Edition on DVD! So far I've just been watching the bonus stuff though. We're planning to maybe watch it as part of Easter celebrations. Looking forward to the extra spring shots! :D :ymapplause:
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Col Klink » Mar 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I forgot to write about the Prince Caspian deleted scenes. It's been a while since I watched them on YouTube (I only have the dvd which doesn't have many special features) but I remember thinking two of them should have stayed.

I think the scene with Prunaprismia and Miraz the morning after their baby is born should have stayed. The later scene where Prunaprismia learns that Miraz killed his brother to gain the throne feels really awkward to me. She's barely been in the movie up until then and suddenly she has this big dramatic scene. Then she barely does anything for the rest of it. Keeping that early scene with her would have made that one flow much better.

I also really feel the scene with Peter and Caspian talking before the duel with Miraz should have stayed. And I'm not just saying that because it has stuff from the book. OK, I'm partly saying that because it has stuff from the book. ;) But it makes the plot that the filmmakers were going for work much better. It makes Peter come across much more likeable and it sets up the idea that Caspian needs to unite the Telmarines and the Narnians. This would have made Peter giving Caspian the opportunity to kill Miraz and Caspian's response make much more sense.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Apr 21, 2019 7:05 pm

Well, I finally watched the extended version of LWW!
I guess I'd give it an 8. I loved seeing more of Narnia, (especially that weird rock-city-like place they go through near Tumnus' house) and the extra battle footage was interesting. Good to see Peter using something other than a sword (which was considered more of a sidearm in the Middle Ages and would often have been drawn after the first weapon was lost or used, like a javelin, lance, or battle-axe.) It was also interesting to see those creepy bat-looking creatures return, since in the normal version I think you just see one at the Stone Table... and then he disappears during the battle.
I must say I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have more transition shots of the coming of spring. I appreciated the extra footage of spring after it came, but there were still maybe just two brief shots of snow melting. Almost as if spring came in 10 seconds.
The extra interaction with the kids was good, though. The scene on the train seems to suggest that Edmund's not ENTIRELY bad, which fits with Lewis' idea that his school had ruined him.
It's only about 8 minutes more, but those 8 minutes are definitely worth watching!!

P.S.- Happy Easter!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby jayce76 » Apr 22, 2019 1:10 pm

jewel wrote:Tonight I'm finished watching the Extended Edition the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I have seen it before but it's been a little while.
I have several questions on this post including do you prefer the extended edition or theatrical? I personally preferred the extended because of the additional scenes of the battle.

Not a lotta extra footage in either of those. But still a fun watch. I haven't been able to find the E.E of those movies on Blu-Ray Disc. Only the theatrical cuts. Weird. :|
jayce76
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Yes, and I always thought that there should have been an extended edition of Prince Caspian! I think would have been great!
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Perhaps for the 15th anniversary?...
Andrew Adamson hasn't exactly forgotten about these films, so I'd say it's still possible he could come out with an Extended Edition for Prince Caspian.
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby De_De » Jun 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Just found out there's an extended edition of LWW from this thread :-o
I won't be able to get it in Russia any time soon, so I'm off to look for it online so I can join in the discission :D
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Skilletdude » Jun 27, 2019 10:17 am

I can't exactly call the extended edition a cash grab, since apparently it has some quality special features that I haven't seen. But the extended film itself was pretty underwhelming for me.

The added battle sequences had noticeably rougher CGI, and the other scenes were not exactly extensive or essential (making snow angels, Lucy seeing a frozen fish in the lake, etc.) And the added footage made for awkward soundtrack edits.

In the end, I didn't buy it for those reasons.
Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.
Skilletdude
Moderator Emeritus