This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Tiny Tidbits of news...

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Tiny Tidbits of news...

Postby fantasia » Nov 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Going to go ahead and open this thread because I'm bored and that rarely happens :P . I know the news posters are working on a story that should hopefully go up in the next couple days. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and post this here.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... te-1156933

Racheline Benveniste, 35
Manager, original features, Netflix

Benveniste likes to say her big break came when trying to persuade Mike Medavoy to hire her as an assistant even though she "had no idea what I was doing." Still, she hoped her English accent would get her through. "And it kind of did," she jokes. That gig led to others, including her lengthy stint at Warner Bros. before settling at Netflix in 2016. At the streaming giant, Benveniste has helped shape the movie slate with a collection of family films and franchises, including the upcoming holiday movie The Christmas Chronicles, starring Kurt Russell. Among her biggest endeavors, however, will be overseeing the new Chronicles of Narnia franchise. In October, Netflix picked up the rights to C.S. Lewis' classic book series with plans for a cinematic universe spanning TV and film. The London native, whose mother is American and father Egyptian, has also worked tirelessly to bring the upcoming rom-com Always Be My Maybe, starring Ali Wong and Randall Park, to the streamer.

And Rose-Tree found this on Racheline's Linked In profile....
Projects in development include a live action CARMEN SANDIEGO starring Gina Rodriguez, a live action adaption of C.S Lewis' THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and YA thriller TELL ME EVERYTHING , being adapted by Leslye Headland for herself to direct.

So there you go. I guess we have the official Netflix rep on board? And we now know it's going to be live action. Good to hear things are moving along. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Tiny Tidbits of news...

Postby Col Klink » Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Cool to be getting even a little bit of news. Can't wait for the news story.

Like I said in the live action vs animation topic, I think live action is generally preferable. (Maybe if there were more live action versions of the books which I really liked, I'd be interested in animated adaptations. But since I expect only one cinematic adaptation of each book in my lifetime, I'd rather they be live action except for the special effects.)

I wonder if the Narnia series really will be the biggest project or if they just said that because it sounded more interesting that way.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Yay! Now there's a thread for the bits and pieces I run across when I'm dissolving into a fit of googles. :P ;))

Aside from the live action aspect, this is also interesting to me because it seems like they're already laying out the groundwork for movies. Racheline Benveniste only has experience working with feature films; she doesn't have any links to television. So this doesn't appear to be a situation where they're first and foremost making a television show, with an eye to eventually add films to the franchise. (Like The Walking Dead and their recently announced movie trilogy, for instance.) So I'm guessing we can expect a movie of some kind in the relatively near future. (Perhaps a MN movie, followed by a television series about the Pevensie adventures?)

Also, the LinkedIn page doesn't say an adaptation of a particular book, it says The Chronicles of Narnia... yeah, not going to read too much into that at this point, but it does make one wonder if they're thinking a movie franchise of the seven books, with spin-off television shows.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Cleander » Feb 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Her LinkedIn says that she is currently "building out" the Narnia "universe," but what that actually means is left unclear. The word "spinoffs" comes readily to mind, though. 8-|
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm not making assumptions either way until I hear official news.

Just some food for thought though, how would YOU word it if you were building out Narnia from Magician's Nephew to Last Battle? From Charn to Archenland to Calorman (sp?) to the VDT Islands?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Cleander » Feb 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Well, "elaborating," "detailing," or "mapping out" might be good words to choose. Filling in the chinks or gaps that Lewis' concise style left in the world that he created, and such.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Individual Books: Better as Shows or Movies?

Postby hogglestock » Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm

For what it's worth, Douglas Gresham spoke a little about Netflix today at his master class at the Logos Theater. He didn't say anything about feature-length movies but spoke positively about the multi-episode series because "you can put the whole book in." Also, he mentioned extrapolating action like the battle of Charn. He said they were still in the negotiation stage with Netflix.
~Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen.~
hogglestock
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Cleander » Feb 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Good to hear SOME news at least! Thanks!
I'm actually kind of glad to hear that they might show the battle of Charn. It's a very interesting scene that I think would make a tremendous opening for MN. Maybe they could have a blinding flash when Jadis speaks the Deplorable Word, right before the scene cuts to Victorian England!
Or so I imagined it. :D
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby hogglestock » Feb 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Glad there was some news to share! I have to say I automatically cringe a little when I hear people talking about adding things that aren't in the books. But something like Charn is way different than what's been done to other books [cough-Hobbit-cough]. And it could be cool. :)
hogglestock
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Feb 27, 2019 7:37 pm

hogglestock wrote:For what it's worth, Douglas Gresham spoke a little about Netflix today at his master class at the Logos Theater. He didn't say anything about feature-length movies but spoke positively about the multi-episode series because "you can put the whole book in." Also, he mentioned extrapolating action like the battle of Charn. He said they were still in the negotiation stage with Netflix.

The negotiation part doesn't surprise me as they'll have a lot of prep work (overall plan for series, budget, order, etc) before going into production for any adaptation. I do find it interesting that he specifically mentioned Charn. Is Netflix going to launch its Narnia universe with MN?

Thanks for the little tidbit of information!
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby hogglestock » Feb 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Is Netflix going to launch its Narnia universe with MN?

He threw out that idea as an example of things that could be fleshed out from the books--but that is the example he gave, so who knows? :)
hogglestock
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Feb 27, 2019 8:15 pm

I'm too lazy to look right now, but SOMEONE has mentioned a whole spinoff series involving Charn. So the idea of the destruction of Charn being fleshed out for the series makes perfect sense. It's mentioned in the book, lets see it on screen. :)
I'm more intrigued by the implications (or interpretation) that they seem to be leaning towards a SERIES rather than movies. Within the context of Netflix, I think that will work well. Just wondering how they'll split them up? With the mention of Charn as something definitely being discussed, I do suspect both MN and LWW will be in season one. Maybe all of season one? Maybe only part of season one?

Very interesting.... Thanks for sharing hogglestock!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby shastastwin » Feb 27, 2019 9:09 pm

If they proceed with a series-only format or focus, I foresee one of two possibilities happening: either a straightforward books-to-episodes series a la A Series of Unfortunate Events, with 1-3 books per season OR (and maybe more likely?) a sort of anthology format (very popular nowadays) wherein each season tells the story of a single book, with allowances for crossover and buildup where applicable (so season one might be LWW, then season 2 MN or HHB to touch off the connections there, then back to PC or what have you). The latter option leaves more room for flexibility in the order of the stories and doesn't require them to stick to publication vs chronological order. With the ASOUE route, I think they'd just about have to stick to one order or the other more or less and run with it.

The possibility of more about Charn excites me because that's always one corner of Narnian-related history and worldbuilding that's tickled my fancy.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn