This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 17, 2019 1:20 am

Welcome Blackstar!!!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Narnian78 » Feb 20, 2019 5:49 am

My user name is Narnian78, but I am the same person who posts under the comments as Larry W.

I have read the Chronicles of Narnia at least four times. I remember taking a C. S. Lewis course in college many years ago and really enjoyed it. My favorite book of the series is Voyage of the Dawn Treader because I love stories about sea voyages, and in Narnia they are combined with fantasy.

My age is near retirement. I have a college education with a B. A. Degree. My occupation is in food service, which has nothing to do with my degree.

My hobbies are collecting lighthouses (mostly of Michigan), birding, amateur astronomy, and reading books.

Before I came here I posted on the Into the Wardrobe website forums (which closed in 2010). I also posted messages on The Stone Table forums, a website which is now gone.
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Col Klink » Feb 20, 2019 9:04 am

I am the same person who posts under the comments as Larry W.

It's nice that more and more people from the comments section are going on the forums.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Welcome, Narnian78! Glad that your wanderings through Narnian cyberspace eventually led you to NarniaWeb, and now, from the comments section to the forum. :)

If you like amateur astronomy, I bet you'd enjoy the Space thread here in the Spare Oom!

If you have any questions, please ask, and enjoy exploring all the discussions here. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Narnian78 » Feb 21, 2019 4:45 am

Thanks Rose Tree Dryad. I'm still amazed by pictures of the planets that were taken the Voyager spacecraft so many years ago and the more recent space probes. I wonder how many more planets astronomers will find (including those orbiting around other suns). I love astronomy books and have a number of them at home.
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Feb 21, 2019 5:08 am

Welcome to the forum, Narnian78! It's good to have you here. :)

In conjunction (pun intended ;) ) with Rose's good suggestion for the Space thread, also take note of Astronomy topic, which some of us frequent. As for reading (which many of us treasure, too), check out Books!

My age is near retirement.

You're not the only one. ;)) There are a very few of us who hover around there too. B-)

A warm welcome to you!
:)
johobbit

Postby Narnian78 » Feb 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks johobbit. That thread is really interesting. The book I am now reading is The Narnian a biography of C. S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs. Probably some of the people here have read this. I am enjoying it so far. The book has over three hundred pages and is a very detailed account of Lewis life.
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Feb 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Welcome, Narnian78, from another of those members beginning to think about retiring. ;)) (And who is also interested in astronomy and spaceflight).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Narnian78 » Feb 22, 2019 6:15 am

stargazer wrote:Welcome, Narnian78, from another of those members beginning to think about retiring. ;)) (And who is also interested in astronomy and spaceflight).

Stargazer:

I remember that Christmas message from Apollo 8 very well. During the next summer the Apollo 11 moon landing was even more exciting. It's hard to believe that fifty years have passed since those events. :)
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Feb 22, 2019 6:32 am

It certainly is, Narnian78!

Narnian78 wrote:The book I am now reading is The Narnian a biography of C. S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs.

Excellent! Yes, I have read—and gleaned from—that bio on Lewis. If we mention this in the Books topic sometime, there may be a few who chime in. B-) But it has been some years for me, and I think I need a re-read. ;))
johobbit

Postby coracle » Feb 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi Larry W, I probably knew you on Into the Wardrobe too but I can't find your name in my memory! I was always known as carol, and posted from about 1999 to the closing of the forums. They were the support to me that NarniaWeb quickly became, with many friends, some of whom I met in 2000 - 2002.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Narnian78 » Feb 22, 2019 10:25 pm

coracle wrote:Hi Larry W, I probably knew you on Into the Wardrobe too but I can't find your name in my memory! I was always known as carol, and posted from about 1999 to the closing of the forums. They were the support to me that NarniaWeb quickly became, with many friends, some of whom I met in 2000 - 2002.

Yes, coracle, I believe I remember you posting there. My user name was Larry W. on the Into the Wardrobe forums. They have kept old messages, although some of them won't show up on my computer (which is rather old). I also posted on The Stone Table website as Ramandu . That website to my knowledge is now sadly gone. (I'm not sure if anyone from there has come here.) And I have posted a few times on the Facebook page of Into the Wardrobe.

I'm glad to see that former posters on those websites have made it here.
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby JFG II » Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am

Greetings to all who read this!

1. Name (please avoid your real full name):
There once was a boy called Jake, and he almost deserved it. ;)

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl):
Not High King. More like Younger Brother of High Queen. ;)

3. Family (single/married/kids):
Lots of sibs and relatives. Single. Quiet like Tolkien, bull-headed like Lewis. ;)

4. Occupation:
Assistant carpenter/laborer, who does all the heavy lifting 'cause my back's not all messed up (not yet). :( I like it, but I should try and get a degree before 20's are up. :)

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb:
A few years ago, I was looking for Silver Chair news, and I got to rely on the site's knowledge.

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles:
9 years old I read LWW, I read the rest of the series around 12.

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles:
Not much. Did a lot of flipping-through and skipping around for years. Mostly heard the books on audio growing up, but I re-read the whole series recently.

8. Favorite of the Chronicles:
LWW & SC, my first two loves. ;)

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you:
Hobbies: Biking, filmmaking, theatergoing, book-reading, sometimes drawing & painting, writing, researching, sometimes model & sculpter-making, hanging out with family and friends. Would love dancing if people my age actually did that sort of thing. Yah. :)
Interestings: My friends call me Jake the Snake or Rattlesnake Jake. :D
Just calling me Rattlesnake (or worse yet, Rattle) gets on my nerves. :(

That's my shpheel. Glad to be hear! :D
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 24, 2019 10:39 am

Welcome to the forums, JFG II! :-h (Or should I say Rattlesnake Jake... cool nickname!) Glad to see that you've found your way here from the comments section. :)

Here's a few Spare Oom links you might enjoy, based on your interests:

Acting and Live Theatre
Writer's World
Books: 2nd Edition

Enjoy exploring the forum, and let us know if you have any questions!
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby stargazer » Feb 25, 2019 11:18 am

Welcome, JFG II. I enjoyed the humor in your introduction. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, JFG II! And I ditto the appreciation for the humour shown in your various responses. B-)
johobbit

PreviousNext