This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 11, 2019 5:53 pm

My ancestry is mainly European(Celtic, Scandinavian, and German), but I am 1/4th Japanese, and one of my great-grandfathers was Jewish I believe. Only influence that has on me when I play is that I'll usually wait to destroy the Japanese til last if I'm up against them.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 12, 2019 10:45 am

Oh and check your settings for the AI player when you start a new game in the Steam HD edition. There's the option of AI or Original AI when you're choosing the settings/options for the new game. Original AI is how the actual game played, AI is the newer meaner HD version of AI apparently. Because when you play Nomad scenario, in original AI only one opposing villager will start building the town center. In AI, all of them do it together so you don't have a chance to pick off the villagers one by one before they get it built. I think my least favorite scenario is Metropolis, because it may sound easy to start with 3 town centers and more villagers, but your enemies also do, and you have to destroy each one to win.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 12, 2019 11:39 am

Definitely gonna check that AI setting out!(sick of losing X( ).
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Oops meant to say that the HD version of AI is smarter and meaner, not newer and meaner, oh well. I'm trying out the other gameplay options, like Turbo Random Map, King of the Hill, Wonder Race, etc...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 13, 2019 10:28 am

Okay I decided to try the Death Match in the Black Forest on my desktop(so it's the original Conquerors expansion, not the HD version), and it is hard. I'm on moderate/standard difficulty, and the other civs are just NOT cooperating...
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 13, 2019 5:44 pm

The problem with Black Forest can often be just getting lost in the trees. You can't always find resources (except for wood) and you never know where your enemy is. For this reason, I like to set the visibility to reveal everything. This also allows me to watch my enemies and study their movements and progress.. though that may not be entirely fair. 8-|
And yes, enemy civs rarely cooperate. ;)
Do you have allies? Sometimes they may as well be enemies for all the help they provide...
I'm gonna try out that AI setting and see how things go. Thanks for the tip BTW!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Oh I always set the Reveal Map setting to All Visible myself, I don't care if it's 'fair', I'm playing to win! B-) B-)

And you're welcome. :)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 14, 2019 8:56 am

OK, apparently the AI was already set to original, which seems to indicate that... I really just need to practice more!
Which civ do you find the hardest to fight against?
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 14, 2019 9:58 am

Never really thought about it, since in most cases, using All Visible and supply cheat codes means it doesn't really matter who I'm fighting against, they're going down. Probably the Chinese, since they start out with more villagers and need less resources for researching, which is why I'm trying them now in the Black Forest Death Match...just trying to find a map where I get a lake in my original territory first.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am

For me it probably goes between the Huns (for obvious reasons) and the Goths (those Huskarls are tougher than they look). I'm trying to wean myself off of cheat-code dependency and it's hard. AI units seem to have individual lives; they move around and start fighting at the same time, can go in all different directions, and seem to actually seek out where to go.(And that's on original setting). Meanwhile my units have to be ordered one at a time (or one group at a time). Frustrating how fast the enemy can move both physically and progressively because of that. X( X( X( X(
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm

I've been doing 4 enemy civs per game, but now I'm gonna try the Black Forest Death Match with just two. I don't care if that's considered 'easy', I won't be using cheat codes, that's one advantage of Death Match, you don't have to bulk up your supplies much.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I've mostly played with just one enemy, but am going to start playing multiples soon. (right now though, one seems to be hard enough).
Do you usually start in Post-Imperial Age or Dark Age? It would seem that your resources even in Death Match would get drained too easy with aging up... although that's exactly what I've been doing. 8-|
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 14, 2019 4:30 pm

I start in Dark Age. Aging up really isn't that draining on your food, you start with so much already, and I use castles as my main defensive force, so I just need lots of stone which isn't too hard, since I always set my resources to high as well when starting a game. If I win my death match against two civs, will let you know. B-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Yay, I won! It was touch and go for a while there though, but I was lucky. My strategy was have a map where the other civs can only get to me through 'narrow' paths, and I had a villager standing by so when I hit Feudal Age, they could build a stone wall to keep the enemy at bay until I hit Castle Age, then with two more villagers helping, I built a castle on my side of the wall, then on the other when the first castle could protect the villagers. Then you hit Imperial Age and get bombard towers to help protect the castles. The green civ was Henry Tudor I think...they had built near a lake, so when I had cleared a safe zone on one side, I built a dock and got some (cannon) galleons to take out as many of their buildings as possible. They didn't even upgrade their militia! I had already taken out the red civ.

So I get them to waste their forces trying to take out my walls and castles, and then they can't rebuild such a massive force before I lay waste to them myself! Muhahaha! :| :ymparty: :ymdevil:
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Good going! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: I have a game going in Mongolia against the Saracens, and although no fighting has happened yet, I'm feeling rather pessimistic about it; they aged up faster than I did because as the Huns I'd had the brilliant idea to build 20 militia and go on the attack, hoping to end the game in Dark Age, but they aged up and built 40 or so men at arms, so my plans kinda got changed. :( Still building up to the big battle, but it's up in the air as to who will win.
It's funny how we kind of own this thread! 8-} Maybe we need to make it a new one!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Jan 16, 2019 4:24 am

Ok, I tried winning in Dark Age again, and it worked!!!
The key seems to be to use a smaller map; that way the enemy can't progress as much before you reach them. I just built a handful of barracks, turned out about 40 militia, and attacked until they surrendered. What helped is that I went up to Feudal Age during the attack, so I could upgrade my militia to men at arms in the middle of the fight! This time the enemy didn't age up in time, so I slaughtered their dozen or so militia with ease!! :ympeace: :ympeace: \:D/ \:D/
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext