This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Turkish Delight

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Turkish Delight

Postby Cleander » Jan 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Hello everyone,
Something amazing happened this week. It was all so sudden; I would never have seen it coming. I was in TJ Maxx, wandering in the clearance section, and I came across a shelf where they had fancy, little-known candies and confections on sale. And there, in the middle of it all, was a box labeled TURKISH DELIGHT.
You probably know the rest. (I bought it. Amazingly it was only $1.50 :) ).
This was the first time I've ever had Turkish Delight. And, as some of you could probably have told me, I wasn't all that impressed at first. It was OK while in the mouth, but it had a weird aftertaste. Strangely though, I'm liking it more as I continue to eat it. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Or maybe I need to stop before I end up betraying my siblings or something. :D
What were your first impressions of Turkish Delight?
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Turkish Delight

Postby Sir Edmond the just » Jan 11, 2019 2:20 pm

I love turkish delight, every year for cristmas my mom and dad get it fore me.
“Awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew
Sir Edmond the just
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Jan 11, 2019 2:27 pm

That is really cool, Cleander! And yes, betraying your siblings might not be the wisest route to go. :))

My mom made Turkish Delight when we were young (mainly because of Narnia). I never developed a taste for it, but always had a bit, just because. B-) The little powdered squares always looked so pretty, but I agree, the aftertaste is iffy. :P I made them once, myself, and they turned out quite well. Our own kids tried it, but certainly didn't love the stuff. Still, it was a fun adventure. I do remember well one ingredient: rosehip, I think it was called, which I believe partially gave Turkish Delight that very distinct flavour.
johobbit

Postby coracle » Jan 13, 2019 8:54 am

Haha, keep us posted, Cleander, on your gradual enchantment by Turkish Delight!

I love the real stuff, but I'm happy to enjoy the mild, chocolate-coated, gelatine version.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 13, 2019 2:29 pm

The best place to enjoy Turkish Delight is in Istanbul where in the Grand Bazaar they have whole shops selling different flavours of Turkish Delight. :D At Christmas I received as a present, a small box of assorted Turkish Delight pieces, flavoured with not only the traditional Rose, but also other pieces with Mint or Lemon. I enjoyed all three flavours very much, especially the Mint. Fortunately I've no siblings who might suffer for my actions. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Cleander » Jan 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Well, there's only 5 pieces left... no, make that 4. :D
The brand was Loquamania, which I believe is actually Turkish (from the word ''lokum'', which means Turkish Delight in... Turkish). It has a caramel flavoring, so I suspect I might not be getting the real experience (not sure that I WANT the real experience just now). But overall the caramel is okay.
I've been trying to get my siblings to taste it, but without success. They remember very well what happens afterwards....
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 14, 2019 2:35 am

Fry's Turkish Delight (turkish delight covered in milk chocolate) has been on sale in everywhere that sells sweets in the UK for as long as I can remember (at least 50 years). I love it and I've never had any unpleasant aftertaste. The TV commercials for it (again, going back at least 50 years) feature a jingle that just about everyone in the UK knows. Howard Shore ripped it off in the score for Lord Of The Rings: the bit that goes "daaaaa, da da da daaaaa" (if you're in A minor, the notes are A (half note), G E G (three triplets making up a half note), A (half note)). The first time I saw The Fellowship Of The Ring in the cinema, every time that phrase came up, I would sing "FRY'S TURKISH DELIGHT!!!" It's amazing I didn't get thrown out.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fledge1 » Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

That is really cool. I went and looked and here they didnt have any. So my question is:
Is it better to buy it for find a recipe and make it? I know one has been posted before but could someone post it again or message it to me? I would like to make it for my kids and some of the college kids in the dorm and have a Narnia party!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby puddleglum32 » Feb 03, 2019 11:19 pm

I have tried it on multiple occasions, each time thinking "well surely this time I am going to love it" and each time I very much dislike it. Like you, I have bought store Turkish Delight and haven't tried to make it. I live in the southeast USA and it is not a very popular desert. I do enjoy watching all the Turkish Delight Skander got to enjoy while filming LWW and hoping one day I will too.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian78 » Feb 23, 2019 8:14 am

From the pictures I have seen of Turkish Delight it looks like the bars made by the bakery of the food service where I work. I don't think I have ever tried it, and I don't bake on my own. Gelatin is okay if you don't think about where it comes from. I wonder if I should suggest that the bakers make it. I don't know if college students would like it. It's a college food service where I work (and it's at the college I graduated from so many years ago). I don't think the students would be tempted by the Turkish Delight so easily as Edmund was (unless there was some special magic in it). :)
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby mm1991 » Apr 01, 2019 9:30 pm

I've never tried it but it's always been on my bucketlist. It might be harder now that I'm trying to be vegan but I won't give up no matter what! =))
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm

King_Erlian wrote:Fry's Turkish Delight (turkish delight covered in milk chocolate) has been on sale in everywhere that sells sweets in the UK for as long as I can remember (at least 50 years). I love it and I've never had any unpleasant aftertaste. The TV commercials for it (again, going back at least 50 years) feature a jingle that just about everyone in the UK knows. Howard Shore ripped it off in the score for Lord Of The Rings: the bit that goes "daaaaa, da da da daaaaa" (if you're in A minor, the notes are A (half note), G E G (three triplets making up a half note), A (half note)). The first time I saw The Fellowship Of The Ring in the cinema, every time that phrase came up, I would sing "FRY'S TURKISH DELIGHT!!!" It's amazing I didn't get thrown out.

Yes, we can get Fry's Turkish Delight bars in Australia. Cadbury's, which took over Fry's Turkish Delight bars is a major firm in Australia with a factory in Hobart, Tasmania. At Easter we can look forward to Turkish Delight Easter Egg boxes, & some ice cream sellers near the movies in our main shopping mall have been known to sell Turkish Delight flavoured ice creams. Cadbury's were sponsors of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, & were offering prizes like a trip to London on their chocolate bars in 2010 & 2011.

For those who want to buy authentic Turkish delight the best varieties are supplied by Turkish immigrants who use their own recipes, rather than others using gelatin. Turkey is famously a mainly Muslim country, though it has a Christian minority, plus expats from other countries. The Muslim faith suggests food restrictions, such as using halal foods & ingredients in cooking. Gelatin is not considered halal by Muslims. Instead, citric acid or fruit juices, like lemon, in particular, or even orange, with lots of pectin in them are used for setting jams, jellies & sweets such as Turkish delight, such as in the recipe you can find here

Usually these sorts of Turkish delight are coated in icing sugar, which some might find a bit too sweet. Another thing to watch out is what sort of sugar you normally use. Our sugar mainly comes from Queensland sugar cane, as is probably also true in the Caribbean & Southern United States, maybe, though I am not as sure of the latter. I do know elsewhere that beet sugar is used extensively elsewhere in the world. In one recipe I did see, someone suggested using beet sugar.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot