This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby Kalta79 » Dec 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah, that's one drawback of AoE, it's not turn based and you gotta pay attention. That's one advantage Age of Kings had, you could order your units to do stuff, or your buildings to either research or produce units while the game is paused so you had a slight edge against your opponents. I love building my castles and letting my enemies waste themselves trying to destroy them. Have lots of fun submerging yourself back in it, Cleander, just remember to come up for air once in a while :-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Hope you are having fun with AoE, Cleander. I've been playing it again myself, mainly on the Pilgrims scenario, since it's pretty much the easiest one to get achievements on, since the AI opponents tend to not leave their starting islands and run out of resources rather quickly, so I just set up shop on Turkey Island(my own name for the biggest one) and pick off the AI civs when I feel like it B-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes, I'm having fun with it, Kalta. Right now I'm embroiled in a standard game as the Britons in the Black Forest, just to kind of get used to it again. The main challenge is just getting around all the annoying tree barriers!
I'm not sure that I've heard of the Pilgrim Scenario. Is that like an online mod or do you just have a more updated version? (I have the HD edition).
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 08, 2019 6:26 pm

It's part of the Conquerors expansion for AoE II, you'll have it in your version too. When you start new game, you select Custom in the Map Style box, then Pilgrims in the Location box that appears beneath it. They have lots of interesting custom ones, like Capricious which alters the resources, you can have tons of everything, or lots of all but one resource which is meager...as the title says, it's capricious.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Definitely going to check that out! Right after I finish my current game, which isn't going too well right now... the scurvy Franks keep destroying everything I throw at them. X(
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am

My strategy has always been to build castles/bombard towers on the outskirts of an opponent's territory, and get them to waste most(if not all) of their forces trying to destroy them, then build another castle closer to their town center. Once their settlement is pretty much abolished(or converted using monks) and they abdicate, I move onto the next. I'm so boring, I really haven't changed my strategy in all the years I've been playing. Of course that requires lots of stones and some gold(for the bombard towers at least). On my desktop which has the original version(Steam HD version is on my laptop), I can use the cheat codes to bulk up my supplies since there's no achievements(Steam won't count 'em if you use the cheats). Still working on beating the Gold Rush scenario by getting all the gold first!
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm

That's a strategy I've never even heard of, but it seems worth a shot... I've been playing in Death Match right now, so I don't need cheat codes because the game starts with huge resources. I'm loving how cheap castles are! :D :D The Frank's have been attacking me with swarms of Paladins and rams, reducing about a third of my town to ruins, but I plan to use a guerrilla strategy- build new buildings elsewhere in the forest, and slowly build the biggest army of halberdiers and onagers that I possibly can. Archers would seem like a good idea because I'm the Britons, but they actually just get slaughtered when the enemy closes with them. Not a pretty sight.
I usually played as the Huns in the past just to get the game going faster, but now that I have Aoe2 again I'm trying to learn how to play the basic, old fashioned way.
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm

I don't think I've played death match that I remember...did regicide once I think.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Death Match is for people who want to fight. You start with resources in the neighborhood of 10,000, so you can start building immediately. Of course most of that gets eaten up with aging up and improvements if you start in Dark Age, but it gets you moving and battle ready much faster. And your armies have a better chance (I think) of getting REALLY HUGE!! :D :D :D
Regicide is cool if you want a fast game that you can win with a single blow. It's just crazy though that that really hefty king can walk faster than some horse units... =))
Good luck with the gold rush! (You might find "robin hood" helpful there if you know what I mean. ;) That is unless you're playing fair....)
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Oh, I just 'rock on' in Gold Rush to build castles all around the gold piles to make sure all the other civs die if they try and encroach :-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Ooh, that might work... so long as the enemy doesn't build too many trebuchets :-s .
I'm gonna try and use my massive halb army strategy in a minute. Let yon pesky foemen beware! X(
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 10, 2019 6:40 pm

I usually beat them to the trebuchets, if not, I just have some knights/calvary holed up in my castles to take 'em out B-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Man, you thought of everything!
My halb swarm is growing slowly; Black Forest is probably the absolute best map to do this because of the excessive amount of wood available. If you have wood, you can build farms, which give you food... and that's all 500 halberdiers need. Just wood and food and lots of it!
Do you have a favorite civ that you play all the time?
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Well since Reno is my favorite FFVII character, I've been playing the Turks pretty much all the time lately.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 11, 2019 12:50 pm

The Turks are definitely my favorite civ!... in Age 3. ;)
My favorite civs in Aoe2 used to be the Teutons and the Vikings, mainly because my ancestors on one side were actually Teutons and Vikings, but when I first installed The Conquerors, the Huns kind of took over as my new official civ. (Actually I have some Hungarian ancestry on the other side, so possibly I have some Hun ancestors. Or maybe Magyar... :D ). Really though, the fact that they don't need houses was a bit more interesting to me than ancestry.
My 400-something halberdiers failed last night. :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( I'm beginning to notice a problem in the way my men fight; when I move them up in formation and order them to attack, half of them go, and half of them freeze for a second, and then waddle around like confused penguins, not even fighting the enemies who are chasing/attacking them. Some even go the other direction. My men got slaughtered by a force half their number because of this; the enemy would finish off one group that was actually fighting, and then go on to the others that weren't.
Have you ever had this happen? Do you know what causes it?
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm

I've tried AoE 3, but I'm not that fond of it, it's not like an upgrade of a game I already know(was easy to play AoE 2 if you played the first game), it's like being confronted with a brand new game that I don't really understand and therefore have no reason to like it.

I don't think I've had that problem, but then I don't use such big numbers. I've rarely used more than 5 troops at a time. It might be something to do with the command 'stances' you can have them in down below in the control bar(where research options appear when you click on a building). Only thing I can think of, like I said, I don't often attack with troops, I just bait them into getting slaughtered by my castles/bombard towers. Trebuchets to take out their castles(and gates so I can build my own in their place and they can't use it) if need be.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext