This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What should the Narnia flag look like in the new series?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

What should the Narnia flag look like in the new series?

Postby Cleander » Jan 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey everyone,
Just a random thought for discussion while we're waiting for some real news about the Netflix Narnia series:
As a flag buff, the design of the Narnia banners interests me; I was intrigued by the fact that both Walden and the BBC changed the color scheme of the flag from the way it's described in the book, possibly because a red lion on a green background doesn't always stand out immediately from a distance. (In fact, this actually violates one of the rules of traditional [English] heraldry: basic colors, like red, green, black, blue of purple can never be placed on top of each other, but only on top of metallic colors, like yellow/gold or silver/white. And Brits were largely in charge of both these productions, so it's possible they were aware of this problem, even if C.S Lewis wasn't aware of it or didn't care /:) .)
The designers of the new series may not think the same way. After all, a red lion on a green ground still looks attractive. And Walden's red lion on a yellow ground looked WAY too much like the Royal Lion Rampant flag of Scotland.
So, what do you think? Should Netflix go with a by-the-book version of the flag, or come up with its own colors?
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: What should the Narnia flag look like in the new series?

Postby Narnian88 » Jan 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I say go by the book.
I see what you're saying about traditional heraldry, but Narnia is a different world. Not sure they would know or follow such things from our world.
Plus they'd have to use the colors they've got, being in the medieval period and all.

I really, really doubt they'd use colors or designs that have already appeared on screen. If there are complaints, all they have to say is "it's in the book." =;
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." - VDT
Narnian88
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jewel » Jan 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Make it green with a red lion. That be like the Welsh, only a lion in place of a dragon.
I'd be fine if they kept it the same as in the other movies.
On the other hand, since you bring it up, it maybe smart and wise for the company to try something different.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cleander » Jan 10, 2019 4:27 am

I was just thinking that they could easily use two different flag designs in the series- the green one for the Golden Age, and a different one for the later years after Caspian's reign. Perhaps a white or silvery background would look good, since it would resemble Peter's shield.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie