Who should play Jadis, the White Witch?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Who should play Jadis, the White Witch?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Since Narnia on Netflix is very likely to begin either with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or The Magician's Nephew, one character we can hope to see cast relatively soon is Jadis, the dreaded White Witch of Narnia. Who should play her?

I'll get the ball rolling: I haven't seen much of her work outside of 2005's Pride and Prejudice, but I think Rosamund Pike could be a good choice. She's 5'9" and can have a very intimidating look about her, imo. She's usually blonde, though, and I would hope they would give her black hair for the role; more in line with the book illustrations and more removed from Tilda Swinton's interpretation.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Who should play Jadis, the White Witch?

Postby PrinceRillianIX » Dec 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Now, bare with me on this one. As I'm editing some stuff together, the White Witch for me at the moment is Emily Blunt.

I know. I know. She has already played a character quite similar to the White Witch when she played Freya in The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016), but it's just a suggestion. I will probably think of more realistic suggestions as we get closer to production.

Here is the actress playing the ice witch in The Huntsman:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E-YoScQyXmI/V_vy3lQ_PlI/AAAAAAAAJiY/ZlT9lD1DVn4bNsxAu6fRbtvoB4SqJ5WogCK4B/s1600/04_Freya_02.jpg

As for The Magician's Nephew, there are a few scenes with Emily Blunt as Freya, but prior to her becoming an ice witch. Here she is:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i3tf69Rwi5A/V_vxL6qievI/AAAAAAAAJiE/xp9h9iUqkIgYgr8qnVOZIDRMy29ptXYkACK4B/s1600/04_Freya_01.jpg
PrinceRillianIX
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 29, 2018 5:54 pm

I think Emily Blunt could be good, but I imagine the people at Disney would be somewhat horrified if she played one of the most notorious villains in children's literature after portraying Mary Poppins... they might pay her to not play the White Witch. ;)) I also wonder if she'd want to take on another ice queen role after already playing one previously, but from what I can tell (at least from Wikipedia's summary of Winter's War) Jadis is a pretty different character.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Cleander » Dec 31, 2018 10:53 am

I'm not sure if racial origin was ever an issue in casting, but I was just thinking that even though one might imagine Jadis being white (in a double sense :p ) it might actually add something to cast someone of, say, Asian origin. (If the actress had straight black hair she would better resemble the Paulinr Baynes illuatrations). We don't have to assume that Jadis is white; after all, she is of a different race than the Narnian humans.
" Return and sit with me in my ravings..."
Cleander
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia_kitty » Dec 31, 2018 2:27 pm

I'd thought of that, particularly since she's originally from Charn. My concern would be that if she was anything other than Caucasian, there would be all the obnoxious racism concerns.
Maybe she can be green-skinned in MN and then turn white for LWW. :P ;))
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby PrinceRillianIX » Jan 01, 2019 6:42 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I think Emily Blunt could be good, but I imagine the people at Disney would be somewhat horrified if she played one of the most notorious villains in children's literature after portraying Mary Poppins... they might pay her to not play the White Witch. ;)) I also wonder if she'd want to take on another ice queen role after already playing one previously, but from what I can tell (at least from Wikipedia's summary of Winter's War) Jadis is a pretty different character.

I couldn't agree more that it would be a long-shot if Emily Blunt was to be cast, but maybe her character can be used as inspiration? I did some research and found some concept art that was made for the character of Freya in The Huntsman: Winter's War and it looks sooooo good!

PrinceRillianIX
NarniaWeb Regular