This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Discussion on Becoming Mrs. Lewis

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Discussion on Becoming Mrs. Lewis

Postby Col Klink » Dec 17, 2018 1:52 pm

I glanced at the book "Becoming Mrs. Lewis" by Patti Callahan. At the beginning, there's a quote from the Chronicles of Narnia. But...here it is.

To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness in yourself.
Aslan, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C.S. Lewis.

#-o =)) Not only did this author use a quote from the movies and attribute it to the books, she didn't even get the character who said it right! You'd think if an author were really interested in Lewis, they'd be a little more careful. I wasn't that interested in the book anyway but that misquote right off the bat really turned me off of it.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Hilariously Annoying Misquote in Becoming Mrs. Lewis

Postby coracle » Dec 17, 2018 3:26 pm

This is worth sending to William O'Flaherty, whose collected misquotes - supposedly by Lewis.

He's on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/techwilliam
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Col Klink » Dec 17, 2018 5:34 pm

This is worth sending to William O'Flaherty, whose collected misquotes - supposedly by Lewis.

I suspect someone has already shown it to him. Or if they haven't yet, they will soon.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Dec 22, 2018 11:09 am

So-o-o, I just received this book as a Christmas present. That quote was glaring me in the face almost as soon as I opened it! While I have been curious about Becoming Mrs. Lewis, there are some significant red flags going up ... this quote being one of them. Another flag is that I do not see any recognized Lewis scholars endorsing at the front of the book.

I'm going to read it sometime in the New Year, but I am already apprehensive about the author related to this particular subject matter.

How far have you read, Col Klink?

Indeed, William O'Flaherty is the man. ;)) His book, The Misquotable C.S. Lewis: What He Didn’t Say, What He Actually Said, and Why It Matters is in our Lewis library, and is quite fascinating. And disturbing. :P Sure glad he has written such a book.
johobbit

Postby Col Klink » Dec 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I wasn't really planning to read the book, Johobbit. I'm not that interested in biographies or romance novels. But I'm a fan of Till We Have Faces which was dedicated to Joy Davidman. So when I happened on the book in a bookstore, I thought I'd glance at it. I was in a hurry though so I only read a couple of pages.

It'd be interesting to see if the book talks about Till We Have Faces and any connections between her life and it. I hope you enjoy the book. Or if you don't, I hope you can enjoy making fun of it. Feel free to do so on this forum so I can join you.
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Dec 22, 2018 8:12 pm

;)) It's a deal.

I have no interest in romance novels, but biography is my favourite genre. However, this seems much more like the former, from the brief glance I have had. And it is written in 1st person, which I usually don't enjoy. :p

I'll keep an eye open for any references to Till We Have Faces.

I must admit I am not going into reading it with a very positive impression. 8-} ;))
johobbit

Postby fledge1 » Apr 17, 2019 10:55 am

johobbit wrote:;))
I must admit I am not going into reading it with a very positive impression. 8-} ;))

Did you read it? Thoughts? Someone said I should get it but we thought it was an actual biography. I did not even look at it yet.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm

I have not yet, fledge1. There are so many books ahead of it that I would rather read. :P But I will sometime, and post here after I do. Might be a year or so from now though. ;)) I prefer bios to novels, and this one is the latter, so I keep putting off picking it up.
johobbit

Postby Cleander » Apr 18, 2019 7:24 pm

I flipped through it at Hobby Lobby this weekend. (The misquote at the beginning made me remember this thread.) Mind you, I didn't read it thoroughly, but what I did see made me think it was a little... forced. Callahan was basically trying to fictionalize Jack and Joy's relationship, with a lot of made-up dialogue interjected between paraphrases of Lewis quotes. Their letters were there, but I wasn't sure if they were real ones or not. One or two sounded like passages from Mere Christianity. But that could just be because Lewis was the author of both the letters and the book. :D
Overall my impression was somewhat negative. But maybe you'll like it anyway. ;)
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wild rose » Apr 20, 2019 2:49 am

Wow, that is some misquote. You would think writer's would try to get their facts straight before they publish. Or at least their editors would try and do some research, they are editors after all. I'm curious to know what the book is about. I didn't ever hear of it. Though I don't know if I'd actually pay money for it, with a misquote like that it doesn't sound very promising.

If you ever get around to reading it, Jo, please share what you thought. (If that's not asking too much)

And it's amazing how much poor C.S. Lewis gets misquoted ;))
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Col Klink » May 12, 2019 10:21 am

I suppose I should say that the main character is supposed to be Joy Davidman, not C. S. Lewis. So it would have been worse if they misquoted her.
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » May 12, 2019 12:47 pm

If the author called her Joy Davidman, that wasn't correct, as she was still Joy Gresham.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 01, 2019 7:32 am

We've been talking to the publisher. This misquote will be removed from the 2020 paperback edition.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby coracle » Aug 01, 2019 12:48 pm

That's good to hear; were they doing it anyway, or did you persuade them?

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Courtenay » Oct 16, 2019 2:19 am

I agree, good to hear!

On the topic of Becoming Mrs Lewis, I was wondering, has anyone here read it? I read a favourable review of it online and was intrigued, but I'm wondering whether it would be worth the read — it could be a wonderful imagined insight into a truly great relationship, or a load of invented tosh, or anything in between, after all.

If any NarniaWebbers have read it, what did you think, and would you recommend it to others? :)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Courtenay » Oct 25, 2019 5:53 am

Right, I've decided to take the plunge and read Becoming Mrs Lewis for myself — I've bought the 2019 HarperCollins paperback (published in the UK), and guess what, as far as I can see, it doesn't include that misquote! The only quote in the front of it is from J.R.R. Tolkien's On Fairy-Stories, and all the quotes at the beginnings of chapters seem to be from Joy's own poems (presumably accurately quoted).

As I haven't come across anyone else here who's read it, I'll be happy to give a review (there's a discussion thread for books we've read in The Spare Oom, isn't there?) — don't know yet whether it's one to be recommended or to be avoided like the plague, but there's only one way to find out...
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next