This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Netflix means new Pevensies

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Netflix means new Pevensies

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 11, 2018 12:04 am

While I'm excited about Netflix developing a new and complete adaptation to the Narnia world, the one thing I know that will be a challenge is winning me over with a new cast for the Pevensies, especially Lucy and Edmund.

I'm curious to see what everyone else's thoughts are on this. Did you like the Walden cast? How would you like to see them portrayed differently? What challenges do you think are ahead for Netflix by recasting these kids, if any?
https://www.instagram.com/_montyjose_art/
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Netflix means new Pevensies

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 11, 2018 6:54 am

Oh, this is going to be a fun thread! If my memory serves me right Susan was supposed to have dark hair, while Lucy was more blond. I don't think Lewis mentions the boys' hair color. Problem is, I really liked the brunette Lucy. Since we can't have Georgie Henley shrink and play Lucy again, ;)) I'd like to have her at least kept a brunette (Pauline Baynes didn't help by drawing Lucy as dark-haired). Also, I would like Polly to be blond, and I think the leads should be unique in appearance. However, I would be interested in a blond Susan. Thanks again Pauline! Seriously, though, I can only come up with one illustration where she is pictured blond, but that image has stuck. There was also a picture book with a blond Susan and I quite like it. Unfortunately, it's so hard to speculate on actual actors due to uncertainty and the fact that they grow up so fast! However, I can't wait to see all the suggestions!
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 11, 2018 10:26 am

That’s interesting you brought up physical appearance. I wasn’t even thinking about that too much but it makes total sense! Despite Lewis’s description, I’ve always seen Lucy as brunette. And there’s no topping Georgie’s performance; it’s hard enough to find good child actors in general and I wonder if this batch of filmmakers is willing to go through as rigorous a casting process as Adamson did.

I was just thinking yesterday about Susan, though, while listening to The Lamppost Listener. The Walden film portrays her as very practical, which is accurate to the books, but I realized (since I haven’t read LWW in years), she’s more... sassy, I suppose? The book depicts her as more motherly and, wouldn’t you know it, gentle! Haha I’d like to them stick to those qualities better this time. I think that could make for some character development/depiction that’s a bit more unique for a character her age, especially nowadays.
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Col Klink » Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am

I'd like it if the characters had similar hair color to what they had in the books because Lewis gives so few physical details about the main characters that when he does, I feel like they should include those details. But I'm definitely not saying they should cast based on appearances over ability.

The Walden film portrays (Susan) as very practical, which is accurate to the books, but I realized (since I haven’t read LWW in years), she’s more... sassy, I suppose? The book depicts her as more motherly and, wouldn’t you know it, gentle! Haha I’d like to them stick to those qualities better this time.

I liked Susan being sarcastic in the Walden Media movies because I think Anna Popplewell has (or had anyway) the best comedic timing of the Pevensie actors. (Of the leads, only Will Poulter had as good or better.) It really made her scenes fun to watch. But of course Anna Popplewell will not being playing Susan in any new adaptation so I'm not saying they should try to make the character particularly smart alecky.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

Col Klink wrote:I liked Susan being sarcastic in the Walden Media movies because I think Anna Popplewell has (or had anyway) the best comedic timing of the Pevensie actors. (Of the leads, only Will Poulter had as good or better.) It really made her scenes fun to watch. But of course Anna Popplewell will not being playing Susan in any new adaptation so I'm not saying they should try to make the character particularly smart alecky.

I’m right there with you. I loved Anna’s portrayal of Susan. But I also believe moving forward, there needs to be a change. And this is true to all the characters, each to varying (and yet faithful) degrees. If not for the sake of faithful adaptation, then for the sake of separating Netflix’s world from Walden’s. Having the two too similar is dangerous, running the risk of being a dull rehash.

By the way, I love all the casting in Walden’s LWW. There isn’t a single character depiction I’m unsatisfied with in that particular film. At least, none I can think of haha
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 12, 2018 3:12 am

Monty Jose wrote:That’s interesting you brought up physical appearance. I wasn’t even thinking about that too much but it makes total sense!

Monty Jose wrote:By the way, I love all the casting in Walden’s LWW. There isn’t a single character depiction I’m unsatisfied with in that particular film. At least, none I can think of haha

I guess that's why I went to appearance, because I couldn't really pick at anything else. Peter's protective older brother attitude, Susan trying to mother them all, Ed struggling, and Lucy was just perfect.

Monty Jose wrote:she’s more... sassy, I suppose? The book depicts her as more motherly and, wouldn’t you know it, gentle! Haha I’d like to them stick to those qualities better this time.

I definitely agree on that. She was almost obnoxious at times, and then mellowed out when they met Aslan. That's her arc in the book PC more than LWW. So I'd like to see a more child-like, trusting Susan in LWW, then have the attitude crop up and be overcome in PC.

I'm ok with probably having teen actors. Netflix is a very teen oriented platform, and I don't really mind having some of the actors be older as long as Lucy and Ed are younger.
I think their ages are supposed to be 13, 12, 10, and 8, but I would be ok if they were as old as 16, 15, 13, and 10. I guess that's pretty close to the actors ages in the Walden movie.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 16, 2018 11:08 am

I'm also okay tweaking their ages like in Walden, but no older than they did in Walden! Haha. Being one of five kids with 15 years between the oldest and the youngest, it feels more natural to me when the ages are spread out a bit more instead of clumped so closely. Not saying that's bad or it doesn't happen, but I think for Peter and Susan's benefit it could be spread out more. It might make the maturity they have to show a bit more believable. On the flipside, you can also say their experiences are forcing them to grow up faster than in a time of peace where they don't feel obligated to take up the role of father and mother to their younger siblings. So it depends on how you play it.

Okay, so how about Lucy? I love, love, love Georgie Henley's performance. I like how she added some teasing, slightly mischievous, playful personality to her character and it worked! (The only time I can think of in the books where that's present is in PC and she uses the line towards Edmund "That's because our heads have something in them.") Lucy's depiction in the book is much different, at least in my mind. Or maybe I should say her character/personality isn't as rounded out. Is that something they should change again?
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Oct 16, 2018 2:14 pm

I have seen some 20th century kids' classics ruined by casting mid teenagers in roles written as pre-teens. It makes a mockery of some of the comments and actions of the younger children when a 17 or 18 year old is playing the character.

I'm currently working on some filming with a very natural young actor, aged 8, the same age that Georgie was when cast. I think it would be wise of Netflix to plot out their child characters' ageing carefully.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm

coracle wrote:I'm currently working on some filming with a very natural young actor, aged 8, the same age that Georgie was when cast. I think it would be wise of Netflix to plot out their child characters' ageing carefully.

I agree. I'm mostly speaking in terms of Peter and Susan. 16 is my cap for Peter. (As for the children in the other books [Digory/Polly, Shasta/Aravis, Eustace/Jill], I would want them around Edmund's age tops.)
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Cleander » Oct 27, 2018 11:45 am

I don't know if a reappearance of the first Pevs as adults is possible in a separate series... but it would be such a great Easter egg in the Horse and His Boy when they get to doing that story. ;;)
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby PrinceRillianIX » Dec 18, 2018 4:50 pm

These are my choices for the casting of the Pevensie children, I'm aware that both Fionn and Florence are in their early 20's, with Florence being 22 and Fionn being 21, but I believe that both could pull this off.

Fionn Whitehead (Dunkirk) as Peter Pevensie
Florence Pugh (Lady Macbeth) as Susan Pevensie
Lewis MacDougall (A Monster Calls) as Edmund Pevensie
Beau Gadsdon (Rogue One) as Lucy Pevensie

Let me know what you think.
PrinceRillianIX
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm

*chuckles*

First of all PrinceRillianIX, welcome to NarniaWeb! :D

I liked the ages of the Pevensie actors in Walden's LWW. But once we rolled around to PC, Ben Barnes as Caspian was much too old in my opinion (but he worked perfectly for VDT!)
So your suggestions for Edmund and Lucy is about the age I'd like Peter and Susan. :)
Good suggestions though! I'm so out of touch with young actors and actresses I have nothing to offer. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby PrinceRillianIX » Dec 20, 2018 10:45 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:*chuckles*

First of all PrinceRillianIX, welcome to NarniaWeb! :D

I liked the ages of the Pevensie actors in Walden's LWW. But once we rolled around to PC, Ben Barnes as Caspian was much too old in my opinion (but he worked perfectly for VDT!)
So your suggestions for Edmund and Lucy is about the age I'd like Peter and Susan. :)
Good suggestions though! I'm so out of touch with young actors and actresses I have nothing to offer. :P

I think these suggestions are more based on who I imagine when I think of the Netflix adaptation, I'm sure none of the suggestions I make for these films/series will never actually end up being true or anywhere near the actual casting. Although I do still think these ages could work, firstly, Fionn Whitehead (21) and Florence Pugh (22) have the perfect look where they blend between mid-teens and early adulthood.

As for Edmund and Lucy, I personally think their ages are perfect. Beau Gadsdon is only 10 years old, and could easily portray Lucy. Lewis MacDougall, on the other hand, is 16 years old and looks younger so could easily pull of the role of Edmund. Here's some images of the actors I chose for the Pevensie's:

Lucy: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A8zlKdPZ-oI/Wcvc1Flz_EI/AAAAAAAAMoQ/2ncB2HLvg7sPJcn8nWrRnqvgIYY40AjqgCLcBGAs/s1600/GadsdonBeau_RogueOne_YoungJyn.jpg
Edmund:http://focusmicrosites.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/uploads/1470104577_amonstercalls_sigourneyweaver_felicityjones_jabayona_lm_bio1.jpg
Peter: https://www.sundaypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2017/07/596e25efb29c4-900x540.jpg
Susan: https://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/Florence-Pugh-Outlaw-King.jpg

I also really want someone like Beau Gadsdon cast as Lucy Pevensie, because I had a revelation of casting an actress I really liked from King Arthur: Legend of the Sword as an older Lucy, who would appear at the ending of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and cameo in A Horse and His Boy. She could also play older Lucy when she returns to Narnia in The Last Battle. The actress is Millie Brady, here's an image: https://66.media.tumblr.com/b124af543e5f4da823bbdc4a16e099e1/tumblr_oy179icoST1u15jt3o1_500.png
PrinceRillianIX
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Lewis MacDougall was actually someone I had hoped might be cast as Eustace in The Silver Chair, PrinceRilianIX, although development for that movie dragged out for so long that he's already visibly aged out of the role, imo. (I was hoping for a Eustace that looked no older than 13.) I can also imagine him playing Edmund, appearance-wise, but he really does (did) look like the picture of Eustace in my mind's eye.

I can imagine Fionn Whitehead as an older Peter, but for some reason, Rabadash comes to my mind when I look at photos of him! (Sorry, Fionn. ;)))

I'm a bit torn when it comes to the ages of the Pevensies. I do want Lucy to be around seven or so, but I don't think Peter should appear any younger than thirteen, and hopefully tallish for his age as well, just because I don't want it to look completely absurd for him to go to battle against the towering White Witch. At the same time, though, I really don't want for Susan and Peter to look like young adults in PC, so it's a fine line to walk. That's one benefit to casting twenty-something actors, if they can truly pass for young teens: you don't have to worry about growth spurts.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby PrinceRillianIX » Dec 20, 2018 4:06 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Lewis MacDougall was actually someone I had hoped might be cast as Eustace in The Silver Chair, PrinceRilianIX, although development for that movie dragged out for so long that he's already visibly aged out of the role, imo. (I was hoping for a Eustace that looked no older than 13.) I can also imagine him playing Edmund, appearance-wise, but he really does (did) look like the picture of Eustace in my mind's eye.

I can imagine Fionn Whitehead as an older Peter, but for some reason, Rabadash comes to my mind when I look at photos of him! (Sorry, Fionn. ;)))

I'm a bit torn when it comes to the ages of the Pevensies. I do want Lucy to be around seven or so, but I don't think Peter should appear any younger than thirteen, and hopefully tallish for his age as well, just because I don't want it to look completely absurd for him to go to battle against the towering White Witch. At the same time, though, I really don't want for Susan and Peter to look like young adults in PC, so it's a fine line to walk. That's one benefit to casting twenty-something actors, if they can truly pass for young teens: you don't have to worry about growth spurts.

I definitely see Fionn as an older Peter, I'm also a massive fan of Florence Pugh so I can't not cast her as Susan. As for Eustace, I would actually cast Fionn Elliot, he's only a month younger than Lewis MacDougall, and I've also envisioned Eustace as blonde despite the book's illustration. Here's an image of Fionn Elliot:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/12/09/22/472A672300000578-0-image-a-39_1512858026721.jpg
PrinceRillianIX
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby JFG II » Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm

The real challenge of casting new actors and actresses in the roles of Peter, Edmund, Susan & Lucy Pevensie has to do with the producers’ foresight: “Will they work in LWW, and PC, and then VDT, and then LB? We they be young enough to reprise their roles? Will they be OLD enough to reprise their roles in LB?” Personally, I think their is a very real danger that a TV series will cause the kids to be cast too old. I can’t imagine any girl over 9 playing Lucy in LWW and living up to Georgie Henly, or a girl over 13 playing Lucy in VDT and not making it silly like the Walden-Fox film. (The Walden-Fox movie was silly on a great many fronts, the extreme ages of the child actors playing the children being one of them.) Sticking with the C.S. Lewis timeline (even if it’s not always reliable) where the age of the kids are concerned, is best.
LWW & PC: Lucy (8-9) Edmund (10-11) Susan (12-13) Peter (13-14)...
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Next