This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What book should you read SECOND????

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which one after LWW?

Prince Caspian (publication)
67%
Magician's Nephew (prequel)
33%
Horse and His Boy (chronological)
No votes

Total votes : 15

What book should you read SECOND????

Postby fantasia » Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm

The discussion over which book to read first has been had many, many times. But I can't think of a time when I've heard the debate of which one should be second, at least not if your reading in publication order.

I'm wrapping up LWW with my kids tomorrow :D and I doubt I'll get to any other Narnia books any time soon, but I am curious as to which one you all think I should read next?

Prince Caspian -- In publication order, this one is next, and it carries on the story of the Pevensies right after their adventures in LWW.

Magician's Nephew -- The prequel, answers many of the LWW questions, like who is the professor? Where did the witch come from? Why did the Pevensie children have to save Narnia? How cool is that wardrobe!

The Horse and His Boy -- If you're reading Chronologically, this one comes in right before the last chapter of LWW, but I'm not stopping LWW tomorrow to read HHB. ;) ;)) So coming right after LWW adds in a Pevensie adventure from the time they're king and queen.

For both MN and HHB, neither really fit well any place else in the series, not if you're reading in publication order, so what do you all think? Which book should be read after LWW and why?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: What book should you read SECOND????

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 13, 2018 4:19 pm

"Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia." The reason is expressed in the often-forgotten subtitle.

I think the emotions the Pevensies feel when they return and discover that Narnia is not what they expected are shared more deeply by the reader if it is also our return to Narnia. We are in there shoes more.

I also think the 1300 year time jump is more shocking (as it should be) if you read PC as book #2. If you read it as #3 or #4, you've already done a little time jumping.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Cleander » Dec 13, 2018 5:44 pm

It all depends on whether you're reading chronologically or publication order. MN should always be followed by the LWW if you're following the timeline... but if you're reading in publication order (for the first time, mind) I think PC is the best second choice (as opposed to second best :D ), mainly for the reason Glumpuddle just gave, but also because we keep the progression of Narnia's creation intact, with it starting out kind of simplistic at first and gradually getting more solid and complex. If you read HHB second, and then go to PC, you might experience a slight change in the overall tone and style. You go from the long (but fascinating) sequence of political maneuvers in HHB to a more fairy-tale-ish, simple story in PC, which might slightly confuse new readers.
I say all this, but again, I just read whichever book I feel like at the time. 8-|
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Col Klink » Dec 14, 2018 7:23 am

Well, Prince Caspian is the most logical choice but when I was a kid, I tried reading it after The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and I got bored and didn't finish it.

After that, I read either The Magician's Nephew or The Horse and his Boy and I loved them. Sometimes I wonder if the reason most people aren't familiar with the Narnia books besides LWW is because they try to read PC, get bored and don't read further.

I guess if I were you, I'd start reading Prince Caspian to them and ask them if they wanted to switch to another book if they get bored.

P.S.
I really do like Prince Caspian. Honestly.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 15, 2018 8:40 am

Col Klink wrote:when I was a kid, I tried reading it after The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and I got bored and didn't finish it.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say the same thing. I kinda struggled with it too towards the end. And that might be a good enough reason to save PC for later, I'll admit.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby shastastwin » Dec 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I think I would choose PC for a first-time read-through, if only for the reasons Glumpuddle mentioned: the readers' emotions track better with the Pevensies if this is the second adventure. I think having HHB come in later (after SC, where the characters first receive a mention) and MN right before LB both work really well, even if they do break up Eustace's stories a bit.

So my vote is stick with Publication order.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 15, 2018 4:08 pm

I think another benefit to reading in Publication Order is that HHB is a neat surprise to the reader. The first four books progress chronologically and you don't expect to learn much more about the Pevensies' rule in the Golden Age, so discovering HHB is kind of like finding a hidden tome from the distant past. Lewis teases so many little stories in CoN that we can only wonder about today, but the tease about HHB in SC actually pays off!

Also, for those who listen to Talking Beasts, think about Rilian's — the podcasting prince Rilian — experience of wonder when he discovered there was a book about the beginning of Narnia. If you read HHB straight after LWW, it's not going to feel like an amazing archeological find. And the same goes for MN, too. Reading those two later in the series makes you appreciate them a lot more, I think.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 16, 2018 9:34 am

I think having LWW read first is the main reason why I'm in favour of introducing new readers to Narnia with publication order. Beyond that, I don't think it matters too much in which order you read the rest, provided that LB is last.

I think there's a logic to going with LWW > PC > VDT > SC because its chronological, but I could easily see MN working well if read earlier so that LWW is still fresh in the reader's mind.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 16, 2018 6:31 pm

I read MN after LWW, and it felt very logical for me to read the prequel. If memory serves me correctly, I read LWW AGAIN after reading MN, and then continued in publication order.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod