This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Japanese Narnia Edition with special artwork

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Japanese Narnia Edition with special artwork

Postby Reepi » Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm

There is a new edition of Narnia being published in Japan since last year. What's so interesting about that? They replaced all the art!

In this new edition, they replaced Pauline Baynes' art with new artwork in the typical manga style.

It's certainly unusual to see the characters being depicted that way. You can see a preview here: https://tsubasabunko.jp/product/Narnia
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Japanese Narnia Edition with special artwork

Postby coracle » Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm hoping it will turn out to be a hoax.
I just can't accept all the characters looking lke identically-faced baby dolls.
( 8-|
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby fantasia » Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Former member stardf was posting about these on FB yesterday. I don't think they're a hoax, just .... manga-fied to fit in with the Japanese culture. :))

I'm not a huge fan of the art style myself, but I am quite intrigued by the fact that it looks like Aslan has a crown of thorns....
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby coracle » Nov 21, 2018 7:13 am

I am following this up with the C.S.Lewis company - at the moment it doesn't seem that they are authorised.

It is so different from anything done before, and they are not the official publishers.

I need someone who can read Japanese to search their website to find more information.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 22, 2018 9:17 am

It seems odd to the English speaking culture. . . but I can see this really appealing to Japanese children.

I'm more concerned with getting this classic story into their hands, so that the next generation can feel the magic that shaped my childhood. If this will do it, more than what their culture might consider "stuffy, English illustrations" then I am fine with it :)
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby coracle » Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Still "under investigation" - i.e. no update from the Estate yet.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie