This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Podcasts

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Podcasts

Postby fledge1 » Oct 08, 2018 8:21 am

I have to take a road trip tomorrow, and was looking for some good podcasts. I have a few more from Talking Beasts I need to listen too, however it is over 8 hour drive. So what are some great podcasts worth listening too?

If this needs to be moved or deleted just let me know. I was not sure if it was already ever talked about. I could not find it but did not look very hard!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Podcasts

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 08, 2018 9:36 am

Now why didn't I think about starting a podcast thread before now? I love podcasts. ;))

If you haven't checked out The Lamp-post Listener yet, I highly recommend that! It's two "Narnia novices" going through The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe one chapter at a time and it's really good. They may say that they aren't Narnia experts, but the story analysis is great and it's fun to experience LWW again through fresh perspectives. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby fledge1 » Oct 08, 2018 9:51 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Now why didn't I think about starting a podcast thread before now? I love podcasts. ;))

I was nervous someone already did and this would be an annoying repeat! I will for sure check them out while I drive tomorrow. I love them as well just never know where to look for them. Thanks!!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Oct 11, 2018 8:04 am

I'm not a podcast person :"> Probably should explore them more because some of the ones I hear about sound very interesting.

I do like Mike Rowe's "The Way I Heard It."
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Podcasts are my favorite thing for road trips, though I’m more into the audio drama side of the fandom. Got into them through Welcome to Night Vale and now my poor phone’s memory is clogged with all of the ones I’ve subscribed to, but haven’t tried yet. Lately I’ve been bingeing Dark Ages, a workplace comedy about a magical museum, and Spooked, a podcast where people share their encounters with the supernatural. I like to listen to that one with all the lights off to try to freak myself out.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby fledge1 » Oct 16, 2018 8:29 am

You can listen to audio drama on podcasts?? That sounds awesome, what are some good ones? And not sure I would be able to listen to the supernatural ones in the dark haha.
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Nov 01, 2018 1:35 am

Audio drama podcasts are pretty big right now. Marvel did one this year called Wolverine: The Dark that I’m listening to right now. Richard Armitage voices Wolverine and it’s really good. There’s a good variety of genres too. There’s space operas like Eos 10 , Girl in Space, StarTripper!!!, and Wolf 359, fake true crime podcasts like Arden and Limetown, and late night AM radio-type shows like King Falls AM and Welcome to Night Vale. If you like superheroes, there’s The Bright Sessions, which follows people with powers and a mysterious therapist. Alice Isn’t Dead is a spooky road trip mystery. Ars Paradoxica is a time travel Cold War spy thriller. The Big Loop is an anthology series that ranges from comedy to SFF.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby fledge1 » Nov 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I am going to for sure check those out!
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Feb 01, 2019 7:40 am

Random question. Is there a way to listen to podcasts I follow on my computer or do I have to from my phone?
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AJAiken » Feb 08, 2019 5:38 am

I listen to a couple of podcasts through iTunes on my computer, and I've also listened to some online through a web browser. I'm sure there are other ways, too.

My favourite podcast is The Bancroft Brothers Animation Podcast, which is really for people who work in animation or those who are really into animated movies. Tom and Tony Bancroft are twins who both worked at Disney on various projects, and they often have big names from the industry on their show. It's great for anyone who's looking to study animation, character design, or get into other artistic/filmmaking pursuits!
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Col Klink » Feb 08, 2019 7:34 am

Speaking of animation, I really enjoy http://www.disneystoryoriginspodcast.com/

I enjoy looking at Disney animation. I think it looks better than other studio's animation for some reason even if the movie doesn't do anything for me particularly. And I like reading old fairy tales and fantasy stories, the source material for many Disney movies, even better. This podcaster has a really good sense of pacing and storytelling so I usually enjoy listening to him tell the stories (of both the movies and their sources) even though I often am already familiar with both. New episodes don't appear that often but there should be enough episodes to keep you busy for a while.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am

I just discovered several other podcasts, and one is based on the Screwtape Letters. Really good if you are interested.
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » Apr 01, 2019 9:34 pm

If you like art, The Lonely Palette is excellent.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fledge1 » Apr 02, 2019 7:39 am

mm1991 wrote:If you like art, The Lonely Palette is excellent.

I might check that out today while at work. Does it just talk about different types of art? I have been listening to one on Miniature Horses of all things. We breed them and use them for therapy so it has been interesting.
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » Apr 03, 2019 10:17 pm

fledge1 wrote:I might check that out today while at work. Does it just talk about different types of art? I have been listening to one on Miniature Horses of all things. We breed them and use them for therapy so it has been interesting.

The host works as an adjunct at Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and it's aimed at people who may not really know much about art history (although it can be good if you know art too, I've discovered some good facts through the podcast). There are 39 episodes so far and each one revolves around a single piece of art. For example, episode 10 is about Piet Mondrian's Composition with Red, Yellow, and Blue. Every episode starts with museum-goers telling their opinion while looking at the piece in front of them. Then she discusses the life of the artist, what compelled him to make this piece, what is was suppose to mean vs how it was perceived by the world, why should we even care about any of this, etc. She covers a wide range of art pieces, including ones from Picasso, Paul Cezanne, Yoko Ono, Andy Warhol, etc. The latest episode is on Wassily Kandinsky who is one of my favorite artists of all time! :D
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic