This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Sep 29, 2018 12:09 am

Speaking of chilly...

Snow flurries were reported Friday in northern Minnesota, and almost the entire state is under frost or freeze warnings tonight. (It's 2 am local time and the temperature is already down to 39F/4C under clear skies). The growing season will probably end tonight.

The average date of first frost is October 1, so we're on track, though the average date of first freeze is a little later.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby SSBN_Dawn_Treader » Sep 29, 2018 8:04 am

Splitting logs for the mood reminds me of an old movie with Adriano Cellentano, in which the actor plays a man who isn't interested in relations with women and talks with a priest :

AC : So, as I was saying, I'm not interested in women...
P : but when you, well, want to spend time with a woman, what do you do?
AC : I split wood. It calms my nerves.
P : Oh? That's great, I'm glad it helps you!
AC : And you, what do you do?
P : Me?
AC : Yes, when you're too interested in women.
P : Well, I .... I just ring the bells of the church.
AC : And does it happen often?

And then the screen cuts to a close look at the hands of the priest... scarred and burned by the rope of the bells!

... Sorry for the off-topic story. The weather here's overcast but warm, which is a nice change of pace before the storm : the last couple of days were cold and wet, and soon we'll have 5 months of snow!
SSBN_Dawn_Treader
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 30, 2018 3:06 pm

stargazer wrote:Speaking of chilly...The average date of first frost is October 1

It is only mid-autumn though in the North of the World, isn't it? Spring here has lovely midday temperatures but except for one or two days, maximum temperatures still remain in the mid-twenties Celsius or less. Not enough to perspire much. A month ago we were still getting 4 degrees minimum Celsius of a morning which has crept up to 8 degrees here. We did have a couple of days of rain which was most welcome, but at least it isn't as hot on this October long weekend as it was this time last year. We are about 10 degrees latitude south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

SSBN_Dawn_Treader wrote:The weather here's overcast but warm, which is a nice change of pace before the storm : the last couple of days were cold and wet, and soon we'll have 5 months of snow!

Hello, and welcome to Narniaweb and the Weather thread, SSBN Dawn Treader. :D
Five months of snow sounds a lot of snow. The last time it snowed here was 27 June 1836.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm

We got rain overnight and a little this morning. Glad of it though, it was too dry here.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aileth » Oct 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Just made it out of Calgary ahead of a fall of more than a foot of snow. If we had stayed one more day.... And we thought that the half-inch on the ground was bad! Many of the higher-pass Southern Interior highways were closed (or should have been), so we were fortunate to have made it home before the worst of the storm.

Mind you, we did have to drive through a pretty skookum rainfall. Nearly washed the car clean of its coat of dust.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby stargazer » Oct 03, 2018 11:02 am

Glad you made it home, aileth. Northern Minnesota was also the recipient of some snow overnight.

Our weather here is so confused, however. ;)) The average high this time of year is 65F/18C, but we haven't been close to that lately. Low 50s (about 12C) is more like it.

But a warm front came through from the south, and it's hot and humid out (for this time of year), with highs approaching 80F/27C and a dewpoint closing in on 70F/21C.

Northern Minnesota is still around freezing, so there's a big temperature differential over a short distance. That front will turn around and come back as a cold front later today, with storms bringing possible tornadoes, hail, and high winds, and the next few days will be below normal again.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 11, 2018 8:00 am

Since a week ago Thursday, this area of Kansas received record rainfall. We were predicted to get 4-6" of rain, but we ended up with 6-12". Lots of flooding, but thankfully minimal stupid people driving through the water. I only heard of one school bus that got stuck trying to turn around to avoid driving through water, but no injuries from that.

The temperature has dropped significantly and it's supposed to snow on Sunday. We were just wearing short sleeves and shorts a couple days ago. :-o :p
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Kalta79 » Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am

Fall has come out of nowhere, with strong shades of winter. Hasn't snowed yet, but it's coming...this is the month of first snowfall after all, in 2012 it was Oct. 21st. I remember that date cause it's when I got our Siamese mix. She was an orphaned kitty crying nearby us and I wasn't gonna leave her to freeze to death overnight.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Oct 11, 2018 11:57 am

Meanwhile, they're breaking out the snowplows northwest of here. Fargo reported 17 inches/440mm of snow, with less in northern Minnesota. Here in the Twin Cities the first snow flakes of the season occurred this morning...less than 6 months after last April's late-season snowstorm dropped about a foot of snow around here.

It's now a balmy 38F/3C, way below average for the date, with lots of wind. I hope the leaves last long enough for one last fall color tour if/when the sun comes back out.
stargazer

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 12, 2018 11:07 pm

I’m a little jealous of everyone starting to get snow! I don’t want it yet, but I doubt I’ll see much this year. I’m currently in Lebanon, and I don’t think they get much here except in the mountains. Instead there is a rainy season that is finally starting after some pretty hot weeks. For now it’s a relief, but I know I’m going to get tired of it. Stuck in a big city for the first time, I’m really missing seeing nature, particularly our beautiful Indiana fall.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Oct 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year, Anfinwen, so I understand how you'll miss it.

Some years the beautiful autumn days seem to go on and on, but not this year. 16 of 17 days this month have been significantly cooler than average, with many rainy days. That makes it hard to get out and enjoy the changing colors.

But tomorrow and Friday will be a brief exception to that, with highs pushing a balmy 70F/21C and crisp blue skies that demand one last road trip to see the colors before the snow flies.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 23, 2018 1:36 pm

We have been enjoying some lovely Fall weather after our massive amount of rain a couple weeks ago. Highs have been consistently in the 60Fs and 70Fs. :) No complaints here!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Sounds lovely!

We've had some moderately nice days alternating with wet periods. I can hear it raining outside right now. Apparently this is the remnants of Hurricane Willa, which crossed Mexico from the eastern Pacific and moved up the center of North America.

Local forecasts are also out for Halloween, which will be seasonal (around 45F/9C)...nothing like the infamous Halloween Blizzard of 1991, which set a number of records that still stand. A TV weather guy was talking about it and added, "If you don't remember it, ask your parents." Now I really feel old. ;))
stargazer

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 26, 2018 11:41 pm

We have finally got some cool weather, but it was preceded by high winds rain and very large hail. Where I was it didn’t get much bigger than a nickel, but areas higher up got almost golf ball size. There was a quite a bit of damage and flooding. It was unusual for that area.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Nov 01, 2018 9:05 am

Wow, aileth, sure glad you started out for home ahead of that huge storm!

Anfinwen, all the best to you over there. I can certainly see how you miss a true northern Autumn!

Welcome to the NarniaWeb, SSBN_Dawn_Treader! :)

How is your spring progressing, wagga?

We have had flurries here, with some light frosts, and one heavy one. But we have been out in eastern Canada the past two weeks, and experienced many types of weather there, including snow. Nothing like that lovely white stuff gracing the ground and trees when the latter are still in full autumn glory. Gorgeous! Then we stopped in St. Agathe, Québec for a few days, and had more snow there in the mountains. Beautiful!

We mainly visited Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island on our trip, although we drove right through New Brunswick, where we encountered a fair bit of snow on the ground. Even in PEI we awoke one morning to white falling and accumulating for a few hours.

Today, back here at home, the colours are at their highest point now. We've had a treat though, as we have experienced two peaks this autumn, as the east was at its peak when we were there. :D Today is a very grey and rainy day, which only accentuates the brilliant colours on the trees. Our daytimes remain within 10° above freezing (Celsius), and our nighttime temps are often nearly down to 0°C.

Have I said before How Much I Adore Autumn?! ;)
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Nov 01, 2018 9:55 am

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Jo!

Enjoy your fall colors! We've had some nice days but many rainy ones, and some more snowflakes are expected early next week (the entire next week may be cloudy and wet again). A few colors remain here (including a large maple just south of the house that is just turning yellow) but many trees are bare now.

These late sunrises (thanks to DST) mean I can stargaze at 6am under dark skies. Orion was so pretty, already in the southwest, with the Moon and Leo shining in the east.
stargazer

PreviousNext