The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby Lady Arwen » Feb 21, 2018 10:30 pm

That dress is quite gorgeous! I've never been much for sewing doll clothing (it's the only time in sewing where I feel my fingers and machine are much too large) but yours are awesome.

I may be teaching a few daughters of friends to sew soon. They've been getting into costuming, which I do (just in case any of y'all missed that), and I've found that old sheets make great bases for quick costumes that can be easily sewn (and just as easily ripped ;)) ).
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Grandmama » Feb 27, 2018 8:29 am

Lady Arwen wrote: I've found that old sheets make great bases for quick costumes that can be easily sewn (and just as easily ripped ;)) ).

Good idea with the sheets. I've also used them to practice with patterns to make sure they fit before cutting into the "real" fabric.

Lady Arwen wrote:That dress is quite gorgeous! I've never been much for sewing doll clothing (it's the only time in sewing where I feel my fingers and machine are much too large) but yours are awesome.

When my girls were younger, I used to sew Barbie doll clothes. However, I no longer have the desire, the patience or the good eyesight for that!
I understand the "machine being too large" for doll clothes. Set-in sleeves, for instance, need to be done by hand.
I'm looking forward to getting back to sewing doll clothes, but at present, there are too many other projects demanding my attention.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Now that the garden is done with for the year, my thoughts turn to sewing, quilting and embroidery! After having the summer break from sewing, I kind of went nuts last week and now have one baby quilt top pieced, a lap quilt top half pieced and another lap quilt about 3/4 pieced.

I was hoping to make a Quiet Book for my grandson for Christmas, but right now it's difficult to get to the needed supplies in my sewing room as it is currently Ryadian's bedroom.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » May 27, 2019 11:21 am

I took my daughter to JoAnn fabrics this afternoon to pick out some fabric to make some pillowcases for her bed. We ended up with pink, pink, and red. ;)) But she's been interested in sewing and making clothes, so I figured I'd better find something that's super easy and I can show her how to do it. ... And then I'll let her take it from there. :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » May 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Fantasia, I hope you daughter enjoys sewing. It is one of my passions.

Recently a couple from church asked me to sew a dress shirt from some fabric they had got while in Africa. When I agreed, I didn't realize what a beast the fabric would be to match across the front and at the side seams. It had strong graphic lines going horizontal, vertical, and diagonal. Anyway, the shirt is complete, and they are happy with it and I am happy to be finished with it!

Next sewing project: dress for my granddaughter.
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous