This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Narnian Female

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which of these young women is the most wonderful?

Lucy (LWW/PC/VDT)
49%
Susan (LWW/PC)
10%
Aravis (HHB)
19%
Polly (MN)
1%
Jill (SC/LB)
17%
Helen (MN)
1%
Ramandu's Daughter (VDT)
2%
Lasraleen (HHB)
No votes
Gwendolen (PC)
1%
Other (please specify)
1%

Total votes : 172

Re: Favorite Narnian Female

Postby JillPoleFriend » May 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Jill Pole :) I find her relatable.
JillPoleFriend
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 11, 2018 7:42 pm

^ I find a lot of people say that, JillPoleFriend. What do you find relatable about her? Personally, I always felt I'd mess up the signs like Jill.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby JillPoleFriend » May 11, 2018 7:46 pm

The same thing, Valiant. I always thought I would mess them up, and that I'd be tempted by the warm baths in the giant city. :-s
I like seeing how she matured in LB though. And she's got a lot of spunk!

I have to say I'm not such a bit fan of Aravis though. I suppose she turned out alright in the end, but I was shocked by how mean she was to Shasta (and I suppose I just felt really bad for him, having been attached to his point of view). Why do you suppose she was so arrogant?
JillPoleFriend
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 11, 2018 8:03 pm

JillPoleFriend wrote:I have to say I'm not such a bit fan of Aravis though. I suppose she turned out alright in the end, but I was shocked by how mean she was to Shasta (and I suppose I just felt really bad for him, having been attached to his point of view). Why do you suppose she was so arrogant?

I think I disliked Aravis at first as well. I think we are supposed to dislike her. As you said, we are already sympathetic to Shasta/Cor, so naturally we are hostile to someone who is unkind to him. I did notice on a recent read that she becomes annoyed with him after he claims that she is "only a girl." He makes the comment because he is relieved that she isn't some Calormen Lord, but I got the impression that she assumed he was demeaning her by the comment. Maybe she has gotten that kind of treatment before, and it is a sore spot for her. After all, she was almost forced into a marriage because she is female.

I came to appreciate Aravis after the fact. Even though she is arrogant, she doesn't abandon Cor. She also tries to be brave. And I admired her desire for something more than dresses and parties.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » May 12, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm very fond of both Jill and Polly, two ordinary girls who did the best they could in circumstances outside their normal experience. They stuck to their values, they spoke up for the truth. And they never gave up following Aslan and loving Narnia.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 12, 2018 7:04 pm

^ I agree Coracle. I like Polly because she seems very normal, but also has a lot of good sense. It is interesting that she criticizes Susan's misdirected desire to grow up in LB. She is the one who always seemed very mature from the beginning, so I suppose she is in a position to sense that Susan really misunderstands what it means to be mature.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Mingxy » Jun 07, 2018 6:23 am

I chose Susan, because with many different things, both good and bad, I can relate to her.
C.S. Lewis — 'Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.'
Mingxy
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby SSBN_Dawn_Treader » Sep 28, 2018 7:03 am

I agree with ValiantNymph's analysis of Aravis ; she may be an unpleasant character at first, but that is due to the conditions in which she and Shasta meet (she was going to kill herself, remember) and she's being called "only a girl" while she's a princess. Of course, she wants to leave that "lifestyle", but she was still raised through it.

It reminds me, in a radically different fandom, of Makise Kurisu in Steins;Gate. She's acting rough to the main character because the latter always taunts her and behaves like he's raving mad most of the time. Meanwhile, in the Steins;Gate 0 storyline, she only discovers Okabe when he's depressed, and although it doesn't shine a pleasant light on him and on people around him, he behaves more or less normally and Kurisu/Amadeus doesn't display any sign of being hostile/tsundere to him, because there's no reason to.

If you haven't watched/read Steins;Gate, then, I'm sorry for the useless paragraph (but if you have the time and if you're not allergic to anime, I can only recommend the series to you, it's absolutely great), but to the ones who know the story, I hope it makes sense and that it makes you understand my point of view.
SSBN_Dawn_Treader
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Alambil Stark » Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm

My favorite character is Jill because she is very fierce. She has a very strong character. I can relate a lot to her. However, I want to be more like her haha.
Alambil Stark
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Geekicheep » Aug 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Wow, this was a tough one! I'm not surprised Lucy got so many votes (she got mine), but look at all the others! Jill, Aravis, Polly, Susan, and so many others that were just awesome. Great topic!
Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!
Geekicheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Courtenay » Oct 18, 2019 10:38 am

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the first Narnia book I read (or had read to me, rather) and Lucy was easily my favourite female human character right from the start of it and all the way through the rest of the series. She was the youngest in her family (just like me) and, in the most ordinary-seeming way, stepping into an old wardrobe, discovered something magical and wonderful (just as I would have liked to!). I love how, throughout the books she appears in, she's the most innocent, good-hearted and spiritually receptive character — she does have very human flaws, as we see most clearly in Dawn Treader, but she's also the one who trusts most instinctively in Aslan and sees him the most often. If I could be any of the girls from the Chronicles, I'd be Lucy! :)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am

I would have to say Lucy is my favourite just because I can identify with her childlike curiosity and wonder at the world she enters. I still would feel this way even in adulthood. Another reason is her character, shes sweet, good hearted, and sticks to her beliefs even when others doubt her.
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous