This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Sep 03, 2018 10:55 am

But the mountain snow is so pretty...

Summer humidity remains in place here in south central Minnesota, with potentially heavy rain predicted tonight and tomorrow. We need the moisture but some parts of southeast Minnesota and central Wisconsin are flooded and may get even more this week.

Cooler, pleasant autumn-like weather should follow later this week. Time to start thinking about fall color trips!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Sep 03, 2018 11:26 am

stargazer wrote: After the recent heat and humidity it feels like autumn and reminds me of how enjoyable it is to stargaze in the fall

Indeed! :D And the beginning of that beautiful falltime weather is arriving here on Thursday of this week. We have quite a nasty high humidity stretch now (3-4 days) with periodic heavy rain, which is lovely for the gardens. I was just saying to my dad that this is the first year in quite awhile when the grass has not gone into dormant mode (read ugly-brown-dry) in July, but has stayed green the entire summer. And is growing like a weed now again with all the rain. ;))

Ahhh, yes, I love the majestic sight of snow on mountains. But hear-hear, ditto, friend Wiggle, truly, let's have some glorious autumn weather before the first snow flies.

Looking forward to the cooler temps coming later this week. Until then, I'm (barely) hanging in there with this oppressive heat.
:P
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 03, 2018 4:01 pm

I must say that the snow in the mountains are indeed a sigh stargazer. So long as the are IN THE MOUNTAINS. ;)
Autumn is something to look forward to my friend hobbit. there is a sugar maple just outside the kitchen window, and when the leaves are in full color change it practically lights up that room.
I agree also with you about the grass. Though I am currently battling some crabgrass, I have sufficient "regular" grass to keep me busy mowing.
According to the weather folks we are to expect some of the wet stuff to fall in the early morning, and possibly through the day. It would save my having to water the grass seed. Humidity seems to have a hard time surrendering though. The Mrs., and I were doing some gardening this morning, and were working up some perspiration by the time we finished.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Sep 04, 2018 2:14 pm

The front that's slowly creeping across the midwest to the northeast *waves at Gazer and Jo* finally reached us last night. We haven't had to worry about flooding here, at least not yet, but we are getting some very nice rain with breaks in between. My kids were amused this afternoon because the sun broke through during one shower so it was sunny and raining at the same time. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 07, 2018 5:04 am

stargazer wrote:[I just noticed the picture in that wiki article I linked comes from Wagga Wagga, Australia]..

Yes that would be right. The last time we had dry thunderstorms here - and thanks for the explanation, because I did not remember what they were until you explained - was some time ago, back in 2006, I think it was. Wagga Wagga is inland and therefore would be harder hit by the current drought than here. We are having drought appeals everywhere. People donating their spare change etc to pay for fodder to be transported from Western Australia and Tasmania to help farmers, especially west of the Great Dividing Range. (That long mountain range like a continental spine, snaking south from Cape York Peninsula, the pointy bit on a map of North Queensland, right along the Eastern Australian coastline and then curls around along Victoria's southern coastline, west to South Australia.) I don't know why the powers that be haven't already imposed water restrictions.

We've had some skittery rain patches over the last week or so, especially overnight. Today we actually had some real thunderstorms, for the first time since goodness knows when. We aren't expecting an easing of the drought just yet because El Nino is on the way.

aileth wrote:Absolutely! Campfire bans are very strict right now, too. Our fire, though, was from lightning, starting July 17. Because it has been a high altitude fire, and burning through inaccessible terrain, they have mainly just let it burn. On several occasions it has burnt down the mountain (making for some really spectacular fire shows) and then Forestry has lit back fires down in the valley.

It all sounds just about right. Our eucalyptus trees though are very combustible, and use bushfires to regerminate themselves. The trouble is that Sydney has expanded along train lines and road links, deep into the Blue Mountains, and then homes get affected. We had bad bushfires in October 2013. I hope everyone is enjoying what rain they have been getting. In which season do you normally get most of your rainfall?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 07, 2018 11:55 am

We've entered a stretch of absolutely glorious weather - low humidity, clear blue skies, highs around 70F/21C and nightly lows around 50F/10C. Fall is in the air! :)

(Warmer air and humidity return next week. Summer's not going down without a fight).

The "Nation's Icebox," International Falls, recorded its first frost and a daily record low yesterday of 28F/-2C. That's only about a week ahead of average, however.

In which season do you normally get most of your rainfall?

Most of our rain comes in the summer months (June-August). Sometimes it falls in violent thunderstorms and other times in more gentle, soaking rains. May and September also provide respectable rain. The rest of the year, it's more likely to be white precipitation. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Sep 17, 2018 5:06 pm

One word describes the recent weather here in the Upper Midwest; hot and humid. (Okay, that's three words, but to quote Bullwinkle, I'm a heavy tipper).

The average high here now is 71F/22C, but it surpassed 90F/32C this past weekend with heat index values approaching 100F/38C. That's July weather. ;))

Not surprisingly a strong cold front is pushing through, bringing cooler, drier air with some rain. Areas northwest of here notched a 24-hr temperature drop of 41F/23C.

A few leaves are changing color as we approach the equinox this weekend, and they say it will be a good year for colors if we don't get big winds or a snowstorm.
stargazer

Postby Kalta79 » Sep 17, 2018 6:26 pm

It's been around freezing at night here lately, so I'm trying to hurry up and get all the winter prep done soon. Freeze has come earlier this year, usually it doesn't hit til October. Having the chimney/stove pipe cleaned tomorrow, and splitting the firewood rounds I can. Unfortunately some are all knotted up inside and that requires a log splitter. A few years ago I felt better when a kind neighbor came over with their splitter and did some rounds I couldn't split, and even the gas-powered splitter had trouble with those rounds. I had felt a little inadequate that I couldn't do it, but if even the splitter had trouble, it wasn't me, it was the rounds. I actually do like splitting firewood, it's great stress relief aka constructive anger management. ;;)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Sep 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Our weather is pretty much exactly like what Gazer described up above. Highs in the 90Fs, very humid, but I believe this is the last blast of summer. We're supposed to get storms Thursday evening and after that the temperature will drop to much more Fall-like conditions.
All of our orb spiders have come out. :P That's the biggest sign of fall around here for me. ;)) Have to walk around with a stick all the time.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby aileth » Sep 18, 2018 9:08 am

Kalta wrote:I actually do like splitting firewood, it's great stress relief aka constructive anger management. ;;)

Like swatting flies :) I still have a scar on my finger from my childhood, but that was kindling and a hatchet. Most embarrassing!

Cooler weather--it feels like the end of October, rather than September. So much so that we are talking about doing our annual apple juicing this weekend. We've never done it in September before--there have even been a couple of times that we waited till the first weekend of November. Not this year.

There are a few wisps of smoke to be seen on the mountainside; two or three solid downpours have quenched the fire's appetite, and chilly nights have done the rest. They're packing up the firefighters' camp now, after more than a month's sojourn in our town. Can't say I minded the fire, but it's sure nice to have the smoke cleared off. Now for the snow!
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby johobbit » Sep 20, 2018 9:41 am

It's always interesting reading about the various climes of members here.

Sure glad you've had some rain, aileth. What a summer y'all had!

Last weekend here was hot and humid ... this weekend is just the opposite, as beautiful, cool, fresh autumn temperatures move in late Friday night. However, tomorrow (Friday) is to reach nearly 40C/104F with the humidex. One more day of humidity, then good riddance! This week has been quite comfy, so it's odd that summer moves back for a single day. Storms (very windy with a lot of rain) should surge through here tomorrow, bringing that relief with them.

Some of the early trees have just begun changing colour. My favourite season is finally beginning
. :D
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Sep 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Last day of summer here. 92F out currently, but the cold front is visible on the radar thanks to all the storms blowing up. It should be here after midnight and then the temps are going to drop. Next week it'll hit the 80Fs but for the most part the highs from here on out are in the 70Fs and 60Fs. Whew!

I will say one thing, I am already missing the longer summer days. Other than that, looking forward to Fall. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby starkat » Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Can it please please please make it all the way down here!? It's been back in the mid 90s with heat indices in the 100-105 range. I'm ready for a break from the heat.
starkat

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Splitting firewood is indeed a most useful therapy for stress. Many a piece of wood has aided in relief.
The weather the last few days can only be called remarkable. Cool, and low humidity. Such a difference from the 90F, and constant swelter last weekend #:-s
We just had a nasty round of storms pass through the state. High winds caused some damage further south, but thankfully no reports of injuries. #:-s
I suppose we have to prepare for the white fluffy stuff now??? :(
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm

It is raining today. First time for weeks.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kalta79 » Sep 28, 2018 7:35 am

It's still getting a bit chilly at night, but warm during the day...our house takes so long to warm up we go outside and do stuff just cause it's not so cold out there :-)
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext