This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

fairs, State, and County

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: fairs, State, and County

Postby fantasia » Aug 07, 2018 8:09 pm

So how's that quilt coming Grandmama? ;)

It's that time again! I signed up my hubby and two of my kiddos for entries into the Kansas State Fair this evening. Mostly so I could get cheap entry tickets... not gonna lie. ;)) But hey! Maybe we'll win something. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ceppault » Aug 08, 2018 5:56 am

There is always a chance of winning something! Fantasia_kitty, ramagut's mum and I were discussing the simple pleasure of entering items at the fair.

I would love to experience the Kansas State Fair. The West Virginia State Fair is going in Lewisberg, West Virginia this week.

My giant pumpkin, is a little giant pumpkin. I doubt it will be over 100 lb (45 kg, 7.1 stone). West Virginia Pumpkin Festival is the first weekend in October. I will enter it no matter the weight, if only for the simple pleasure of entering it at the fair. :ymblushing:
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Grandmama » Aug 09, 2018 7:09 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:So how's that quilt coming Grandmama? ;)

The quilt is finished and will be brought to the fairgrounds on Sunday. I like how it turned out, but I can't say that it's my "best" work. When I got to quilting the border, I just wanted to get it finished, so the quilting isn't as neat as the rest of the quilt. I wish I could post a photo, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

It's that time again! I signed up my hubby and two of my kiddos for entries into the Kansas State Fair this evening. Mostly so I could get cheap entry tickets... not gonna lie. ;)) But hey! Maybe we'll win something. ;))

Best of luck on your entries! I wish Minnesota had the policy of cheaper tickets with an entry!
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Aug 23, 2018 8:02 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:It's that time again! I signed up my hubby and two of my kiddos for entries into the Kansas State Fair this evening.

Have you already had the state fair? The Great Minnesota Get-together starts today. Stargazer is there today. I'm going on Monday with a friend who also enjoys spending lots of time in the Creative Activities building looking at quilts and other handiwork.

The results were posted online this morning at 8:00, so I do know that my quilt took 2nd place out of 13 entries. I am quite happy with that! And I'm looking forward to being at the fair on Monday and sampling some fair food. :)
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am

No, ours is next month. It runs Sept 7th through the 16th.
Congratulations on second place your quilt! :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » Aug 23, 2018 10:18 am

Fantasia kitty,
Wow--that's really late. Surely school will have started by then. I know Iowa's, Illinois's and Indiana's are already over. Has it always been in September?
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Aug 23, 2018 11:27 am

*pops in to say ...

a huge congratulations on placing 2nd for your quilt, Grandmama! I saw a photo on Rya's FB page, and, wow, what a beauty. :D

Enjoy the fair on Monday. How was your time today, stargazer? The usual crowds, interesting exhibits, and unhealthy—but very tasty—fair food?
;))
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Aug 23, 2018 11:54 am

Yes, it's always been during school. In fact, many schools around here will take field trips to the fair. If it was any earlier it would be unbearably hot (and often times, it still is). And I think they also aim for after milo harvest.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » Aug 24, 2018 9:01 am

johobbit wrote:*pops in to say ...

a huge congratulations on placing 2nd for your quilt, Grandmama! I saw a photo on Rya's FB page, and, wow, what a beauty. :D

;))

Thanks!
I'm happy that I didn't pick today for the fair as we are having a thunderstorm this morning!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Congratulations on the second place on your quilt, Grandmama! :D

To add onto the discussion of state fair timing, it's always after school has started for us too. Actually, our county fair is also always after school starts too. ;)) County fairs in the state appear to be mixed - some are before school starts, but a good number are after.

I was rather disappointed to discover the county fair will be a weekend when I will be away and unable to attend. :( I don't do rides any more, but the past couple of years I've gone in the afternoon with a couple family members and seen the exhibits and animals.
But it looks like I may go to a state fair for the first time - my sister and I got tickets for it through a library reading program, and then I actually should end up with a set through work. XD It's supposedly always crowded and busy, so we'll see how it goes...
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby stargazer » Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm

The state fair here is such a big deal that some years back the legislature voted to 'require' schools to start after Labor Day so people could attend (it ends on Labor Day).

I put require in quotes since districts could get an exemption simply by asking for one, and as a rule these were always approved. Many districts start in August now.

How was your time today, stargazer? The usual crowds, interesting exhibits, and unhealthy—but very tasty—fair food? ;))

It was quite fun, thanks. The weather was perfect - temperature warming up to about 80F/26C with a cooling breeze, clear skies in the morning and overcast in afternoon. In fact, perhaps because the forecast called for rain today and heat beginning tomorrow, attendance was crazy. It was wall-to-wall people and set an opening day record (so we joked we were there with over 122,000 of our closest friends).

We looked for Grandmama's contribution but didn't see it, partly because that building was so crowded. My friends' daughter wanted to see the rabbits and livestock, so we went there too. Their other daughter is in a local high school marching band which participates in the daily parade/band competition, so we watched her do that for the last time (she is a senior this year).

We didn't go on any rides but did visit the Midway briefly. And we had many of the usual staples of fair food, anything deep-fried on a stick (except for the all-you-can-drink milk booth). I came home with a wild rice cheeseburger, which I enjoyed for lunch today.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Aug 25, 2018 2:21 pm

I found an article from 2013, listing all the state's State Fairs with the dates and discovered that there are several that are later in the year. Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas all are in October. Since they are all southern states, I imagine they go later for cooler weather. And Florida has its State Fair in February!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Back from the fair! Enjoyed some new fair foods: Banana Fosters French Toast, Beef Brisket Sliders, a new variety of apple called "First Kiss", falafel on a stick and gyro on a stick and a Strawberry Treet (that's how they spelled it--a slushy kind of drink). And, my friend and I shared all the food so that we could try more things without getting stuffed. ;)
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm

I finally tracked down that picture. Your quilt is quite lovely Grandmama :D Congratulations again!

My husband is running my kids to Hutchinson tonight with their (and his) fair entries. I think they're excited about it, but they're also all hopped up on sugar and chocolate and are very grumpy right now. :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Sep 13, 2018 6:28 am

My husband and I are going to start a new tradition we think.Around here, Mondays are dollar days at the fair, and as a result, that's the day everyone we know goes to the Fair....except us.
We went last night on our $3 exhibition tickets, bought ourselves unlimited ride bracelets, and rode rides from 1pm to 8:30pm. No lines, hardly anybody there. :D My parents watched our baby so we split into pairs and did lots of ferris wheels, roller coasters, fun houses, and others.
We'll still go Saturday for the buildings and exhibitions, but we'll reserve Wednesday for our ride days.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » Sep 13, 2018 6:49 am

fantasia_kitty wrote: No lines, hardly anybody there. :D

Priceless!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext