Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby narnianerd » Aug 05, 2018 7:47 pm

"My leg is busted up pretty good." Ainsley replied grimly, her jaw clenched shut in a desperate attempt to hide her discomfort.

"I always said you needed to drink more milk. Weak bones I tell yah."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"I plead the fifth." Jeff turned to the duo, "that bum leg of her's is gonna need some attending too. What is Y'alls situation?"
you had me at meah
User avatar
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Mar 28, 2008
Location: No-whereville
Gender: Male

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 05, 2018 10:55 pm

"Actually, drinking more milk is rarely a solution to weak bones--more commonly, the problem lies within the body's ability to process the calcium, which gets a lower priority to sorting through the milk sugars that humans can't regularly process on their own, so the benefits from drinking milk are wasted due to the detriments," Xandria said, the information sort of bubbling out. "Um. We're sort of just looking for people. We, they, there's a base camp that's getting set up a ways back that way. Can we help you get there? Should I take your other side?"
Avatar made by AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby narnianerd » Aug 07, 2018 10:03 pm

"I'd appreciate that."

"Same."

"Jeff I'm going to murder you in your sleep."

"At least you still have your sense of humor."

Ignoring Jeff and hjs quip for now, Ainsley turned to Xandria.

"What's the situation at the camp? Is anyone else injured? Do we even know where we are?"
you had me at meah
User avatar
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Mar 28, 2008
Location: No-whereville
Gender: Male

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm

"No, no one knows where we are. Or at least they haven't said. There's not that, that much there, but they're trying to pull some of the wreckage together for something, shelter, I think, but um, they're still looking for water, and yeah, it's not that good. Everyone that's been found so far is fine, I mean, except you, of course, oh," Xandria stooped and pulled Ainsley's other arm over her shoulders. "Sorry, here, maybe this helps. Is that ok? It's like, say, a ten minute walk back to base camp."
Avatar made by AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Ryadian » Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Meanwhile, the group of three continued in the other direction, and while they found a few more pieces of stranded luggage and wreckage within the first few minutes, they had virtually disappeared. There were no signs of movement, no footprints to be discerned. In fact, the island now properly felt like a deserted island, and the scene would almost be picturesque if empty beaches weren't the exact opposite of what Faye wanted to see right now. (She did, for a brief moment, regret that she'd lost her sketchbook in the shipwreck, but reminded herself that she would likely have no time for sketching. She could buy a new book and start over when they were home.)

She made sure to call out every few minutes or so, then listen intently for a response, but she didn't even hear an echo. After about ten minutes of walking, though, she saw something off in the distance. She pointed and cried, "Look, a stream!"

Finding water was excellent news, even if it was a bit far from their current camp, and despite still being drenched, she was suddenly very thirsty. At the same time, though, a thought occurred to her. She glanced at her companions and asked, "If there's a stream here, anyone who found this stream might've followed it further into the jungle to its source. Is it worth leaving the beach to test that theory?"
Image
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 11692
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby aileth » Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm

"Yes, that's likely enough," Molly replied to Faye. "They might be anxious to get out of the sun. It is rather hot. Perhaps there will be some footprints, or broken branches to show if anyone's been this way at all. And perhaps we ought to build a small cairn, pointing the way towards the camp--just in case."

The foliage was quite thick; it looked like it would be tough to push through at the best of times, but down near the stream there was a bit less and it might be possible to go in.

"Aha!" cried the stewardess, "look at this!"
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
NarniaWeb Junkie
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Western Canada
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby stargazer » Aug 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Dan was clearly torn between staying near the shore and following the stream back to its source.

"I'm glad we've found fresh water," he began, "in case rescue is delayed. And it makes sense anyone here might want to get out of the sun. But I know Angie well enough to know that she's more likely to either stay near here, knowing we'd eventually come looking for water, or even to walk along the shore like we are, knowing that survivors will be coming ashore there."

He glanced up at the sun. "Don't mind me. I'm just thinking out loud."

He was interrupted by Molly's exclamation. "What did you find?" he asked, walking over to where she was looking.
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
User avatar
stargazer
Moderator
 
Posts: 21648
Joined: Mar 28, 2004
Location: by a campfire

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 09, 2018 5:52 pm

“Ahoy there!”

Suddenly a voice came from the opposite direction. Upon the vast, blue, expansive ocean there came a muscular figure in white trunks and a pair of shades drifting close to shore on a lime green inflatable pool float.

"It's my fellow travelers!"

Junior hopped off of the mattress into water about waist-deep, placed the float under his arm and started running to shore.

"Molly! How is my favorite stewardess? And Faye, good see you, again. Mr. Dan, I've missed our stimulating dinner discussions. Crazy day, right? I mean, there I was lounging in the Blue Pool, soaking up some rays, when suddenly I feel like I'm falling and open my eyes to find myself floating in a much bigger blue pool! No water slide can compare to that ride! Am I right? So. What's the situation here?"
Image
User avatar
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Male

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Ryadian » Aug 12, 2018 6:44 am

For a few moments, Faye couldn't quite believe what she was seeing. Then she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Did he not realize the situation they were in? "Well, finding you brings us up to nine people found so far, assuming no one else turns up. We're acting as a search party."

This could almost simplify things, she thought. Two of them could search along the stream and two of them could continue along the beach. Faye secretly hoped that Junior would end up with one of the other two - well, that he'd end up with Molly, as given Dan's circumstances, she didn't want Junior's... eccentricities to distract him from finding his wife. But before she said anything, she turned back to Molly to see what she had found.
Image
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 11692
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby aileth » Aug 12, 2018 5:08 pm

"Look at these funny tracks!" Molly exclaimed. "They look almost like animal tracks, except for that extra smudge on the side. They lead off into the jungle. Do you suppose that...."

She stopped suddenly. Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to suggest that there might be strange, perhaps hostile, creatures here on the island. After all, they hadn't found everybody yet.

"I agree with you, Faye," as if reading her unspoken thought, "why don't two of us follow this up, and then loop back to the others, depending on what we find, and two continue on along the beach. Would you rather do the beach or the jungle?" She smiled encouragingly at the others. "The jungle for me, if that's all right. I would like to get back quickly so I can check on my special charges, you see. Anyone else?"
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
NarniaWeb Junkie
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Western Canada
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby aileth » Aug 13, 2018 9:41 am

(Double posting!! :-s )
Waters surveyed the small pile of coconuts that he had gathered. It had taken quite some time to get them, and there didn't seem to be all that many. Sitting down heavily, he wiped his glistening brow. It was also hot.

This was not something he had bargained for when he agreed to go on the cruise. How could he apprehend criminals when there was no one to be seen? Coconuts! Bah! There were plenty of those miserable items up in the treetops, if he could only find some way to reach them. Too bad there wasn't a spare squirrel or two handy when one needed one.

It was a great nuisance trying to carry his bag and the coconuts, so with great misgivings he hid his stock of medications at the base of a large tree. Loading his arms, he staggered back towards the piles of luggage and driftwood.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
NarniaWeb Junkie
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Western Canada
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby stargazer » Aug 13, 2018 10:31 am

Grace was doing her best to follow Miss Twig's instructions, alternately collecting fallen coconuts or pieces of driftwood to bring back to their base camp. Due to her smaller size she couldn't carry the bigger pieces of wood, but there were plenty of smaller ones to keep her busy.

She watched Waters struggling a little with the heat - it certainly was hot and she allowed herself to take a quick break in the shadow of a tree. One of the things her father had taught her while camping was not to overwork yourself when it was hot; that only made things worse. She sniffled and wiped away a couple of tears, missing her parents once again. At least her dad was safe and might be returning soon, but where was Mom?

Perhaps it was that loneliness which inspired her to go over to where Waters was carrying a load of coconuts back into camp. "Want some help?"

~~~~

"Junior! Glad you're safe!" Dan watched the man come up out of the waves, making a flashy entrance once again. "Have you seen anyone else?"

Molly's exclamation caught his attention, but he had no way to identify jungle animal tracks; his experience was with woodland creatures like bears, deer, or raccoons. This terrain was out of his experience. A fleeting thought about making a joke about a polar bear on the island ran through his mind but he dismissed it as inappropriate.

He looked up at the sky again. "I'm hesitant to split up again before reporting back to the others. Maybe I could escort Junior here back to camp instead. That way I can check up on Grace and let them know we've found fresh water."
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
User avatar
stargazer
Moderator
 
Posts: 21648
Joined: Mar 28, 2004
Location: by a campfire

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 13, 2018 9:40 pm

“You’re the first people I’ve met since the boat sank.” Junior then listened as Molly began pointing out some tracks. “I doubt we’ll see any dangerous creatures on this island. You ladies are free to investigate the tracks to see where they lead. Perhaps there’s a lake or cave that could be useful. I’d be happy to escort Dan back to camp to get the lay of the land. If we don’t hear from you within the hour, I’ll come lookin’.

And with that, Junior followed the party’s footprints back to base camp, picking up tiny shells along the way, leaving the ladies to choose whether or not they wanted to explore the jungle.
Image
User avatar
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Male

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm

"Hey, Maeve, the water tell you anything about the current events?" Kaelin quipped, resting on her makeshift pant flotation device.

"Still salty," Maeve replied.

"That's it? I'm getting cold."

"The water's fairly temperate."

"Still cold."

"I wish I could do something, but I don't think I can. Best is to wait until it gets dark, and then I'll light off a flame."

"Shut up! You can freeze and move water at will. You just don't want to."

"There's too much stuff in this water. There's too much salt."

"You can't move saltwater? Seriously?"

"I can move water. Sometimes the salt goes with, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm not strong enough to part the sea."

"So you're like a barometer for salt, then, yeah? Where's the fresh water? It's gotta be less salty somewhere, and that'll tell us which way to go."

"It's all pretty much the same, sorry."

"Can you heat the water, since you can also freeze it?"

"I haven't strictly tried, but I'm fairly sure I can't, so let's go with a no."

"Seriously? You've got to be able to do something."

Maeve continued to float for a few minutes, weighing the possibilities.

"I can dive and see if I can find a halocline, but if we're getting freshwater from anywhere, it should be up here, not down there."

"If there's a change, does that mean we're close to land?"

"Maybe, but maybe not. It might mean nothing."

"Do it," Kaelin said fiercely. "Do it!"

Maeve hesitated.

"Why aren't you doing it?" Kaelin demanded.

"Because...I might not come up in the same spot, and then you'll be alone."

Kaelin said a few not-nice things. Maeve glared at her.

"Come on, please?" she finally begged. "You might be able to float out here forever, but I can't. I'm cold, and thirsty, and hungry."

"Why do I feel like I am going to regret this?" Maeve shook her head, and wrapped her pants around her little sister. "Listen--don't try to go anywhere unless you can find some wreckage. If you do, get on it."

"How will you know then?"

"I'm hoping it'll block out enough light that I'll see it."

Kaelin nodded.

"If my pants lose too much air, just kick them loose, ok? Just keep yourself floating."

"What happens if you get eaten by a shark?"

"What on earth?" Maeve exclaimed, exasperated.

"I don't think you should go."

"You just cussed me out for not going."

"I'm just cold, ok? I'll be fine."

"Yeah, sure. Sit tight, I'll be back in a few minutes."

Kaelin nodded, and watched as her sister breathed for a few minutes, then dived out of sight.
Avatar made by AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 7736
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am

Pittersticks watched Mr. Waters hid his bag of medications. “Finally,” he thought, “a great opportunity!” When Mr. Waters had staggered off, he climbed down the tree and re-hid Mr. Waters’ bag two trees away. Then he climbed back up the first tree and dropped coconuts where Mr. Waters’ bag had been.

On one of her return trips, Twig’s notice that Mr. Waters and Grace were showing signs of getting hot. She went to her swim bag and pulled out a bottle of water. After taking a couple of sips, she offered it to Grace and Mr. Waters in turn. “We seem to have fairly good start on fire wood and coconuts,” she said. “Would one or both of you be willing to start going through the luggage for items we can use? It would be nice if you could find matches or a lighter or something that would help us start a fire. I wonder if magnifying glasses really work to start a fire.” Realizing that she had wondered from the topic at hand, she added, “Also keep your eyes out for anything that would work as rope or bandages. I’m sure someone packed some ties. The search parties will be returning soon. It must be around 30 minutes since they left.” Twig’s did her best to sound confident, although she really wasn’t sure how much time had passed. She was pretty sure she had made at least 15 trips up and down the beach. She was guessing that the trips took between 1-2 minutes depending on how much she was carrying. It had probably taken her longer to get larger pieces like the door up to the pile. At least 20 minutes must have passed, right? “Don’t think about,” she told herself. “Focus on the job to be done.”
Image
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
User avatar
Pattertwigs Pal
Moderator
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb
 
Posts: 5032
Joined: May 16, 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Ryadian » Aug 14, 2018 1:01 pm

As Dan and Junior headed back to camp, Faye pondered their options. On the one hand, animal tracks meant a potential source of food. On the other hand, animal tracks could potentially mean something dangerous. She didn't suppose it was very likely that someone had packed a rifle - or that the rifle would've survived the trip to shore if someone had.

"A quick look in the woods," Faye agreed, "then we need to head back. Dan and... Mr. Gladstone will probably reassure the others that we're still all right, but I don't think it's a good idea to explore too deeply when it's just the two of us. Especially without knowing what's out there." She shook her head. "I'm mostly interested in water and any food that might be growing along the water's edge, or any sign that someone else from the ship came this way."

She couldn't help but shake her head and ask dryly, "I don't suppose jungle foraging would've been included in your training?"
Image
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 11692
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests