How should future films be different from the Walden movies?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderator: daughter of the King

How should future films be different from the Walden movies?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Anything you'd like to see in The Silver Chair and beyond that would be markedly different from the original Walden Trilogy?

The other day, I was looking up the lions in Trafalgar Square after remembering that Lewis likened Aslan to them in SC, and I was struck by the massiveness of the stone lion in this picture. Imagine how breathtaking he would be if he were alive and awake! Now, I wouldn't want Aslan to be that big because we would heading into Clifford the Big Red Dog territory, but I think I'd definitely like to see him larger than the Walden Aslan in future films.

Of course, we know from the "you will find me bigger" scene that Aslan's size isn't static, but most of the descriptions in the Chronicles have a "bigness" to them that I find lacking in the Walden portrayal. A lion in our world is a bit less than four feet tall at the shoulder, and that seems to be close to the size of Walden's Aslan. Shasta, on the other hand, describes him as taller than his horse in HHB. I think at least over five feet, which would make Aslan about shoulder-to-shoulder with a six foot man, would be more accurate and effective. More visually powerful and awe-inspiring. Not so big that he's an impersonal, earth-quaking giant, but big enough to be worthy of the title "The Great Lion".
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
#VoteNarnia in The Great American Read
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: How should future films be different from the Walden movies?

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Well, to parrot Glumpuddle, a lot less epic scenery shots. Don't get me wrong, I want there to be beautiful scenery in places like Cair Paravel, or Aslan's country, but the North should be pretty bleak and dull until the travelers get close to the mountains. And I'd like to see it more from the point of view of the characters (less helicopter shots). This would help the story feel more grounded and real. On the whole, I'd like a lot more grit and realism, but different from PC. That leaned more toward the dark and dramatic. I think Narnia in SC should feel old and tired, still beautiful, but not too glittery and fairytale like at this point. I'd also like to see Cair Paravel as a medieval castle instead of a sprawling palace. On the whole I want the world (scenery, sets, costumes, etc.) to feel like it's been there for a very long time, not just conceived and made for a movie. Things like dust in the corners, mended clothes or items, colors that have started to fade, and imperfect hair can go a long way.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Have more dialogue of the main characters.
Other than that just make it closer to the books!
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

Slower pace. More emphasis on atmosphere than plot.

Make Aslan intimidating, wild, and... well, not tame. In the Walden versions, he felt like a wise old grandfather.

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I'd definitely like to see him larger than the Walden Aslan in future films.

I sometimes wonder if the filmmakers just can't win with this one. I agree he felt too small in the Walden versions (it was odd seeing Peter tower over him). But if they make him much bigger, he will feel too monstrous. But... I suppose I'd rather have him be too big than too small.

It might help if the art direction was more stylized.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Fanatic
News Poster

Postby Reepi » Aug 18, 2018 2:15 am

Glumpuddle wrote:I sometimes wonder if the filmmakers just can't win with this one. I agree he felt too small in the Walden versions (it was odd seeing Peter tower over him). But if they make him much bigger, he will feel too monstrous. But... I suppose I'd rather have him be too big than too small.

It might help if the art direction was more stylized.

I found it even more distracting how they seemingly couldn't decide how Aslan should look anyway. In every movie so far he had a different design /:). And besides that he was made bigger in PC (and changed his line so that he "grows" bigger every year, eugh), and then smaller again in VDT.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 30, 2018 2:03 pm

The problem of Aslan's size throws more fuel on my desire to see another animated Narnia film. I don't think Aslan's size would be as big of a challenge to crack.

If you gave me $100 Million to make a Narnia movie, I'd probably hand it all to the same studio that produced The Breadwinner, Song of the Sea, and Secret of Kells.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Fanatic
News Poster

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 15, 2018 11:49 am

The heroes need to be characters to aspire to. I think Walden did a great job with Lucy in the first two films, Peter in LWW, and Edmund at points in PC. I get it, people have baggage, but it's HOW you handle the baggage that determines your character.

On the Aslan topic, even if they made him 20% bigger than in PC, I think that would be perfect. While I get why Lewis changed his size depending on the scene, it's awkward to do that in film. Maybe in a few dramatic scenes, where it makes sense, up his size some, but only if it works well visually. Or maybe he's a little bigger in Aslan's country. Otherwise, it looks corny to have him constantly changing sizes or just to have him MASSIVE in general.

I'm also an advocate for more grit. Show some more scraps, smudges on their faces, wear and tear. As beautiful as Narnia is supposed be, if it's too clean... then that will take away from the end of Last Battle where everything is meant to be perfect.
https://www.instagram.com/_montyjose_art/
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular