This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 01, 2018 6:02 pm

“I have CPR and First Aid training,” Twig’s said. “I can stay here and start setting up camp as long as someone stays with me. I am not staying her by myself.” The last sentence was firm with a hint of teacher voice. “Dan, if you want, I can watch Grace.” Twig’s knew that she would be calmer and worry less if she had someone to look after. Although, she looked at Mr. Waters, he might do just as well as a child. “I can’t believe I volunteered to stay behind,” she thought, “I always said that if I ended up in a situation where someone was to stay behind it would not be me.”
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Xandria shifted uncertainly.

"Um, most of my training is related to dealing with sports injuries, so I'd probably be better with the hunting for folks stuff. I'm good with going out the opposite way from, um, Dan, and taking a look that way."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby aileth » Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am

Molly surveyed the party with a semi-professional eye.

"Yes, I'll go help look for any strays, if you like. Nothing like rounding up a few more guests to join the party. Oh, no, I'm not concerned about the rest of the passengers," she replied to an unspoken question. "Captain Yorick Knott has piloted more than one craft through a shipwreck. He's an expert!"

She looked over at Waters, who was hunched over his stock of pill bottles, making sure that none of them had gotten damp.

"Toodle-oo, Mr Walters! I'll be back soon."

"Waters! Waters! Waters!" he bellowed, not looking up.

"Yes, yes," the stewardess called soothingly. "We will all get something nice to drink just as soon as we can. All right, then," she glanced around. "Are we ready to go?"
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Ryadian » Aug 02, 2018 10:05 am

Faye was a little embarrassed when the dog started talking - she probably should've expected it, but it hadn't occurred to her until it was too late. Still, she was too focused on the task at hand to think of that now.

Somehow, sticking together had now turned into talk of splitting into at least three groups. Dan was clearly eager to go, and in fact was barely waiting until they were ready. Faye sighed, and decided to just roll with it: "All right, I'm thinking that Dan, Molly and I should go together. Dan, I know you want to keep looking, so if we find any other survivors, Molly or I can walk them back here and the rest of the group can keep going if we haven't found your wife yet." She glanced at the unidentified woman and the dog and said, "I'm sorry, I haven't caught your names yet, but I think it best if you two go the other direction together. Your -" here she motioned to the St. Bernard " - expertise should help make up for the fact that there are only two of you."

She turned to Twig's and the miserable Mr. Waters, and the much more composed Grace, and added, "You three will have to hold down the fort. We'll be back soon." 'I hope.'
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby stargazer » Aug 02, 2018 11:46 am

Dan looked up from comforting his daughter; she seemed relaxed enough now that she wasn't all alone with strangers or people she'd just met.

"That sounds like an excellent idea, Ms. Brixton. I don't think choice of direction is crucial right now, so I suggest we go in the same direction Grace came from. There might be more survivors there."

He crouched down to Grace's eye level again. "Some of us are going to look for other people, including your mom. Can you stay here with Ms. Twig's for me? That way I'll know you're safe."

Her relaxed demeanor vanished. "I can't come with you?"

"I know you want to find Mom too. But look at all the people who came ashore here. Maybe she will too."

She was quiet a moment but something in her dad's voice told her how serious this all was. "Oh, all right," she finally said, giving him one last hug.

"Thanks for watching her," he said to Twig's.

I'm just glad we left Emma at home. The thought of their two-year-old in those crashing waves was almost more than he could bear.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 02, 2018 5:02 pm

"Sorry, I'm Xandria, that's Mel," Xandria said when Faye asked. "I'm sure we'll be fine. Um, right, Mel?"

She looked over at the large dog, hoping for her assent, and crossing her fingers in her pocket against anyone else deciding to join them. She kind of wished everyone wasn't so set on protecting against stragglers, since she was fairly sure she would do better on her own. It seemed swimming would probably be in order, and she wasn't comfortable with the idea of showing off for an audience right now. Still, if she had to, Mel had always seemed to be the understanding sort, and she was a talking dog, after all.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 02, 2018 5:58 pm

Twig's was not pleased that the group was splitting into 3 groups. She was less pleased that she was stuck with Mr. Waters. “You're welcome,” she told Dan. Twig's walked over to Grace. “I understand you want to go with your Dad. It is hard to have to wait. Do you think you can help me? We need to collect the luggage that is nearby, collect firewood, and I think I have seen some coconuts. That way we will be ready when people get back.” Twig's glanced at Mr. Water. “Maybe we can even get Mr. Waters to help.”
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 02, 2018 6:27 pm

"Of course we'll be fine," Mel reassured Xandria. From what she'd seen so far, the landscape was rough but not treacherous, and she hadn't smelled anything large.

Mel turned to the Baxters. It was never easy to know what to say to the family of a missing person, and in this case Mel was fond of Angie as well. She woofed softly and sympathetically. "We'll do everything we can to find Mrs. Baxter."

Search and rescue parties had a checklist of equipment and basic supplies. Neither team looked like they were walking out with more than the clothes on their backs, and there wasn't much more in the luggage that had washed up. Twig's seemed to have taken charge of the base camp, so Mel had one last suggestion before they left. "Try to find something to use as blankets. That'll be useful if we find anyone worse off than ourselves."
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 02, 2018 8:44 pm

"Even if there are any that wash up, they're probably all going to be just as wet as we are," Xandria said quietly, then turned and began walking with Mel. "So, have you ever done water rescues before, at your lake?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby stargazer » Aug 02, 2018 11:52 pm

Dan appreciated Mel's kind sentiment about helping find Angie, but was a little uncertain about the proper protocol in dealing with talking dogs. Was petting them or scratching behind their ears -something their own dog liked - the right thing to do, or an insult? He settled for a simple, "Thanks, Mel."

Grace had no such concerns. She wrapped up Mel in a big but brief hug, then shyly backed away before turning to Twig's. "Firewood? I can do that. We always have a fire when we're camping."

"Stay close, and listen to what Ms. Twig's says," Dan reminded her. "Blankets sound like a good idea, but all I've seen so far is a lot of wet luggage. But I'll keep my eyes open just in case."

And with that he followed Faye out of their makeshift camp.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby narnianerd » Aug 03, 2018 9:41 pm

"Jeffery, I swear to Hades if you dare say it I'll cut your tongue out."

"Say what?" Jeff asked, snickering only a little as he assessed the situation. When the cruise ship broke apart the cealing of their room had caved in and Ainsley's leg had managed to become pinned beneath a rather large and imposing wooden beam

"You know what."

"I don't know what you are talking about but I'm going to try and lift this beam. I'm gonna need you to move out from under it, okay?"

Yeah, I'm probably in beginning to go into shock, to be honest because the pain isn't anywhere near where it should be."

"Either than or you're actually a robot. On the count of three, okay?"

Ainsley rolled out from under the beam, just in time too because Jeff wasn't able to hold it up for all that long.

"How's the leg?" He asked, handing his girlfriend a life jacket.

"Its been better, it's been worse. At the very least it's fractured."

"Lets get to shore before you start feeling it again, aye?"

"Too late, but that's still probably a good plan."

After several hours of floating, swimming and fighting the tide, Ainsley and Jeff made their way to the beach.

"Ainsley, guess what?"

"Jeff-"

"I told you so."

"If I wasn't so tired, I'd end you right here and now."

"I know."

"You know how to splint a leg, right?"

"Do it, we need to find the others."

"Yes ma'am."

"Don't call me that." Ainsley replied through gritted teeth.

After a half hour or so of slow, tedious walking on the shoreline, they two survivors spotted one of the search parties, two individuals heading down the beach towards them, one of whom was very obviously a dog, the other a humanoide.

"Heeeey! Some vacation, ain't it?" Jeff called out to them while enthusiastically waving his hands.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Xandria looked behind her, then realized that Jeff was probably talking to her and Mel.

"Um, yeah, I guess so," she said, bunching her hoodie up in her hands. "It looks like your friend is hurt? Do you need help?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby aileth » Aug 04, 2018 11:50 am

When Twig's suggested that he might like to help collect stuff, Waters was slightly aghast. How could he, when he had just come through such a terrifyingly traumatic experience? After watching for a minute or so, as the rest of the party went off to search, he sighed and looked about aimlessly. There didn't seem to be anything else to do. He wandered off after the two girls.

Tentatively, he reached toward his precious bag. Could he afford to share some of his vital supplies? It was like pulling teeth, but he put his hand in, and pulled out a tube.

"Um--harrummmph!" he snorted, his tone unintentionally gruff. "I don't suppose that you want to have some sunscreen, do you?"
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Twig’s became aware of Mr. Water’s following them and turned around. She studied him as he offered the sunscreen. He seemed reluctant, but she appreciated the offer. She debated whether it would be politer to accept or decline. “Thank you so much,” she replied. “I may take you up on that offer sometime, but I have some of my own in my bag. After that dunking I’d better reapply.” Twig’s opened her bag and was pleased to find that the contents were damp but not soaked. She pulled out her own tube. She looked at Grace. “Which kind of sunscreen would you like to use?

After the sunscreen had been applied, Twig’s looked around at the beach. “Grace, I want you to stay out of the ocean and the jungle. Make sure you can see me at all times. Mr. Waters, please gather some coconuts.” Twig’s spread her beach towel out to dry. Then, she headed back down the beach to collect the luggage, making sure she knew where Grace was. Twig’s got down to water and gave a cry of delight. “My trunk!” Twig’s waded into the water and dragged her trunk up to the luggage area, watching Grace gathering firewood. Twig’s truck had her warmer clothing in it in case the cruise went into colder waters. She opened it and found that the contents were damp but not soaking. The trunk must be well made. She added her long winter coat to the “blanket” area as well as some of her sweaters. The trunk also contained her winter boots which would be useful if they explored the jungle. She did not want to do that barefoot. Finally, it had her cross stitch bag which contained thread and needles, etc. Twig's hadn't thought she would work on any projects but had brought it just in case. Twig’s continued dragging suitcases up to the pile. Occasionally, she would remind Grace not to go too far. Twig’s was surprised at the number of things she found on the beach and in the shallow water. She started a pile of miscellaneous parts of the ship. She even found a slide from one of the 18 pools. She was unable to get the slide very far. There were other things that were too big for her to lift herself and she could only get them part way up the beach.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby stargazer » Aug 05, 2018 11:40 am

Normally Grace was a reasonably outgoing child but the experiences of the past hour or so had shaken her world. Given a choice between Mr. Waters' gruff demeanor - unintentional or not - or Twig's offer, she chose to go with Twig's. She shyly thanked her and then listened quietly as Twig's instructed her on what she should do.

"I'll stay close," she said, even as she looked down the beach in the direction her father had gone.

There was no shortage of driftwood, including a number of pieces too big for her to carry alone, and before long she had gathered a pile of smaller pieces. She was also curious about the flotsam and jetsam being washed ashore, but didn't find anything belonging to her family. She did recognize the slide Twig's found as one she'd used during those happy times swimming on the ship.
stargazer

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 05, 2018 11:59 am

Mel trotted along with Xandria, ranging from side to side to check out the different scents, hoping to come across ones familiar from the cruise ship.

"I went to the lake when I retired," Mel explained. "I worked search and rescue in the mountains. Most of the situations I was in the water in question was more or less frozen at the time. But survival is survival, so I don't suppose we'll have too much trouble figuring out what to do."

She woofed softly. "Of course, I'm a dog, and the teams always had someone with thumbs to do things like light fires and wrap bandages."

The wind was blowing away from the search party when they sighted a couple coming up the beach toward them. They looked bedraggled and exhausted, but the greeting sounded cheerful enough. Mel wagged her tail and let Xandria take the lead in the conversation.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

PreviousNext