This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

First Silver Chair Concept Art?

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

First Silver Chair Concept Art?

Postby icarus » Jun 30, 2018 3:42 pm

With the Silver Chair movie allegedly planning to start shooting by the end of the year, i figured that at the very least they must have done all the concept art by now, and lo and behold, a quick google search through various Concept Artist's portfolios revealed the following set:

http://www.pigareva.com/#./silverchair

There are about 12 images in total if you visit her site, including a character design for Puddleglum.

Nothing to confirm she is 100% definitely involved in the production, but she seems to be a legitimate professional within the concept art world, so no reason to suspect these are just for fun.

What do you think?
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: First Silver Chair Concept Art?

Postby fantasia » Jun 30, 2018 5:14 pm

*starts a timer to see how long it takes before we're likely asked to take this down* Heh.

Well, this is just gorgeous stuff, and very encouraging to recognize everything out of the book (unlike certain other Narnia movies...). I see they may combine the bridge with the dragon, but aside from that it looks spot on! :D

Thanks for posting icarus! :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby AJAiken » Jul 01, 2018 1:49 am

Her artwork is lovely but it's very unlikely this is from the production. From the amount of work she's done, and her LinkedIn profile, she hasn't worked for any really big studios or agencies. Given that her work featuring The Silver Chair is the only work in her Visual Development portfolio, it's likely that it's an area she hasn't done much professional work in and she is building up a personal project to fill that gap. Choosing a well-known story to create art for is common practice in concept art portfolios. Also, as a professional she would be incredibly unlikely to post work from a film not yet released. The severity of Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) is not to be underestimated! When artists/other creatives use work from a production yet to be released in their portfolios they will usually protect it using a password, if they post it at all.
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 01, 2018 9:54 am

These are all just stunning! Very whimsical and fun and very disneyesque.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 01, 2018 10:01 am

Great sleuthing as always, icarus! We really appreciate your google-fu skills around here. :ymapplause:

Unfortunately, AJAiken is right. We noticed last night that one of her pictures uploaded to Tumblr had a caption that indicated it was a personal project. I wrote to Ms. Pigareva today and she was able to confirm this.

It's a shame, because it's beautiful concept art! Perhaps she has a future in creating visuals for Narnia films.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby coracle » Jul 01, 2018 1:48 pm

They do look cute, but none are not anything like the 'Wigwam' description of the author.

Reminds me a little bit of 'Howl's Moving Castle' - cartoon version.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby jayce76 » Apr 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Forgive me, I'm a bit out of the loop. Are they still moving forward on this? Or have they totally scrapped this in place of a Narnia Netflix series that's now in the works?
jayce76
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Apr 22, 2019 8:05 pm

No official announcement was ever made, but I'm near 100% sure it's been scrapped. The only link I could potentially see is them still using David Magee's script as a basis for the Netflix series, but even that... :-??
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby jayce76 » Apr 23, 2019 12:21 pm

fantasia wrote:No official announcement was ever made, but I'm near 100% sure it's been scrapped. The only link I could potentially see is them still using David Magee's script as a basis for the Netflix series, but even that... :-??

Well that's very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.
jayce76
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnia fan 7 » Apr 23, 2019 3:17 pm

fantasia wrote:No official announcement was ever made, but I'm near 100% sure it's been scrapped.

Take this for what it's worth. But, a few months ago I was looking at the edit history of David Magee's wiki page out of curiosity. And in October someone claiming to be Magee removed all references to the Silver Chair film saying
"Removed reference to Chronicles of Narnia film, which is no longer in production (I am David Magee, so I can confirm that myself)"

It's possible it could be an imposter (we've seen that before.) But this same account has made edits to the page dating as far back as 2010, so I think it's probably safe to say it's him.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Cleander » Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Well, that sounds pretty definite, so... there goes my secret hope that SC is still in the works. :( :(
Still, it's good to know for sure. Perhaps this should be posted as news...
though it almost sounds like an obituary.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Cleander wrote:Still, it's good to know for sure. Perhaps this should be posted as news...
though it almost sounds like an obituary.

We actually posted something back in December about Magee no longer being involved with Narnia after Magee responded to a tweet. I was definitely a bit sad to write that post!

Good sleuthing on Wikipedia, though, narnia fan 7. :)

Since this concept art rumor was debunked long ago and we're not likely to see an adaptation of The Silver Chair in the near future, I'll go ahead and lock this thread.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad