This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

fairs, State, and County

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: fairs, State, and County

Postby fantasia » Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am

*dusts off the thread a year later*

The Kansas State Fair starts tomorrow! :D I didn't get anything entered this year. Just too busy with two little kiddos, but I'm hoping one day as they get older that we can all enter goodies together. ;)
The first day looks like it might be rainy and stormy. Might be a good day to ditch the kids on willing relatives and go through the buildings. But Saturday looks to be GORGEOUS!!!! I'll probably be there most of the day. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2016 8:35 pm

The Minnesota edition ended on Labor Day, and this year set records for total attendance. It might have been higher except for a few hot days.

I went opening day with friends, and despite perfect weather the attendance that day was the lowest of the fair (around 111,000). That was crowded enough. ;))

Have fun at the fair, fantasia! I remember attending with my friends when their kids were young, and it's fun watching them get excited about the animals and all the sights, sounds, and smells that make fairs unique.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 27, 2017 6:43 pm

The local County Fair is starting next week, and I was wondering if I am the only one looking forward to greasy food, and shuffling along rubbing shoulders with total strangers.
If not for that, what about those entering in the various animal, or arts, and crafts competitions? I myself am finally entering the candle lantern that has been sitting on the work bench in different stages of completion.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jul 28, 2017 9:01 am

Good luck Puddleglum!

A good friend is entering some quiltwork in the State Fair this year. I've never done that; I just resign myself to enjoying that deep-fried food on a stick.

Hard to believe it's less than a month now to the Minnesota State Fair.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Jul 29, 2017 4:47 am

The Kansas State Fair is coming up in September, however, we went to the County Fair a couple weeks back for the first time ever and that was a LOT of fun. It's been years since I've been to a county fair and so I've forgotten how small and cute they are. We watched a demolition derby for a while (highly amusing LOL), walked by a cattle auction, and hit up the ferris wheel....and several other rides. And then we had to deal with screaming children who were not at all ready to leave. I think when the state fair gets here we're going to have to do bracelet day. :P
And my children both sort of ate pronto pups! My son doesn't like the corn meal breading, and my daughter doesn't care for the hot dog, but starvation drove them to eating some of both. ;)

But back to the state fair, I will be entering something this year, dunno what just yet, if only for the steeply discounted fair tickets. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Well. I can say that it was a success in arts, and crafts this year. Well. Sort of. The lantern got second place to a siblings entry :-o
All the more motivation to do better next time. Before you shake your heads, do not tell me you have never competed against siblings.
Many of the winning entries I hope will try for the State Fair. One in particular was a very good carving of a house from Cotton Wood bark. Another was a small house of stone, literally made of small stones.
We still had the regular Fair food. Cheese curds were first of course. Followed by a corn dog for the Mrs. while I had a corn Brat. ( no, children were not on the menu ). This meal was finished off by a funnel cake with powdered sugar.
Very much looking forward to the State Fair where the sibling plans on exposing his entries to a more severe judging /:) I wish him well.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Getting ready for the "Great Minnesota Get Together". From what the papers have been telling us there will be even more opportunities to go off my diet. The sibling has entered his entered his craft items from the county fair. We shall see if he can repeat his success.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm

The hubby managed to get three sets of baked goods entered into the fair yesterday. Judging is tomorrow. What's weird though is that the lemon squares had zero lemon flavor to them. I made a comment that they tasted what I imagined Chess Pie tasting like, and my m-i-l said that was not far off at all. We know that one won't place. ;) I doubt the Chocolate Chip Cookies will either because they dry out after a day. Our hopes are on the Chocolate Banana Muffins. ;))
But really, the point is getting cheap exhibitors tickets, which we have procured. :D Oh, and the boys have wristbands to use for as many rides as possible one day. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm

You must have some Scottish blood in you fantasia_kitty. One must look for bargans when they are available. :ymapplause:
The Mrs. and I made good time threading through the crowds, even with being hobbled up. My poor knee required some assistance from a cane borrowed from my Father-in-law. This did give me an excuse to see a few more sites as she was forced to slow a bit, and let this old stick-in-the-mud catch up.
The sibling did win one ribbon ( third place ) for a piece of wood working Nicely done, I must say. Looking over the other entries I found a rather good portable writing desk. one would fit in well with the historical encampments.
Food wise, as predicted, my diet died gloriously #:-s We broke fast by splitting a foot long hot dog, and it only went progressed from there. The staple of cheese curds, and funnel cakes, were joined by a wild rice cheese burger. I would list the rest, but then I would run the risk of boasting. :ymsmug:
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Congrats to those who displayed and won ribbons at their fairs.

I attended the Minnesota State Fair and my diet likewise succumbed to the once-yearly consumption of cheese curds, roasted corn, and similar items (my new item this year was a quintessential Midwest delicacy, hot dish on a stick - deep-fried, of course).

Puddleglum, those wild rice cheeseburgers are delicious! Missed it this year, however.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Sep 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Tom won a blue ribbon for his muffins. :D Of course, as he pointed out, the REAL kudos goes to the original developer of the recipe. ;)) Don't know who it is, but it's awesome.

I didn't eat anything new at the fair this year, just got some old favorites. Particularly spudnuts which are like, the best donuts of all time. Wish I had that recipe!

But we went on lots and lots of rides! We took little Ezri (my 5 month old) on the train and the Ferris Wheel. She didn't care LOL. The other kiddos went on pretty much everything else. Ariel (2yr old) isn't nearly as into rides as opposed to Evan (4yr old) who loves everything, but she was a good sport and went on several with her brother.

We had a great time! :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm

I was talking with a friend today, and a question came up, especially for our members outside the central part of the US:

Here, we grow up with the state fair being a big deal, where people can make and enter various items in competition (as discussed here), or at least go to eat various foods, ride the rides, and see lots of interesting sights.

Is this limited to this part of the world, or more widespread? What meaning, if any, would winning a blue ribbon from a state fair for an entry have, beyond being an award?
stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Mar 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Since I am the friend mentioned above, I am hoping that stargazer's question will get some replies. :)

In both states that I've lived (Iowa and Minnesota), the State Fair is a big deal (deserving of capital letters!), but I'm curious how people in other states and countries view a state fair or something similar.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Well, here's another view from the same region to take a stab at the question... ;))

gazer wrote:What meaning, if any, would winning a blue ribbon from a state fair for an entry have, beyond being an award?

Growing up, the county fair was a big deal--4-H entries and livestock shows and entertainment, and the State Fair was the next level; best of the best. I only have personal experience in the 4-H building, but if you achieved a blue at state it said good things about your craftsmanship and showmanship.

But in the past five years or so I've noticed that the entries both in 4-H and the open categories have been dropping off. It's not quite as noticeable at the State Fair where there's all sorts of stuff to see and do, but my thought is that winning a prize at the fair is no longer quite the feather in the cap it used to be.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Mrs Smooshy » Mar 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Where my husband and I grew up there was a local fair called the [name of locale] Stampede (not Calgary, LOL) but it really was just a fair. I don't know if people could enter jams or not. My parents never took us. Money was always tight so my parents didn't ever bother. Once, I recall my grandparents taking us and we watched the horses at the back carrel . I think it has been canceled though. I don't remember but the fair grounds have been built over quite a bit so I'm guessing so. I know it was a big part of many of my friends' lives.

But in the tiny prairie town where I live we have a summer rodeo. There are some flea-market type booths and a canteen (usually perogies, yuck) and pony rides. Rodeos seem to be the big thing out here. And now we are trying to start up a winter fest with dog sled racing. Just been two years so we'll see how it goes. I hate the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter so we usually don't go. ha ha The summer rodeo has a parade that goes right past our house so we just sit on the driveway. And we can see the fireworks from there too.
The Mr, the Mrs (that's me) and the little Smooshers....plus our cats

Fancy Signature pending......
Mrs Smooshy
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Grandmama » Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am

I've been busy constructing a quilt top for an entry in the State Fair. Today I got the layers basted together, so now the actual quilting can commence. Thankfully it's a small quilt (baby quilt), so I have a chance getting the hand quilting finished by August. Wish me luck!
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext