This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

7 – The Hill of the Strange Trenches

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

7 – The Hill of the Strange Trenches

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 29, 2017 7:15 pm

1. Why is Jill willing to consider Puddleglum’s dire predictions about creatures in the trench but not about the Knight or the danger of Harfang?

2. What strikes you most of the description of the land they travel over in this chapter?

3. What do you think of the conversation Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum have after Jill and Eustace investigate the trench?

4. What does it say about Puddleglum that he is the first one to speak at Harfang?

5. What was your reaction to Puddleglum getting drunk?

6. Discuss how this chapter should be adapted. (ex. what do you most want to see, what problems do you see, etc.)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: 7 – The Hill of the Strange Trenches

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 02, 2017 1:11 am

In the previous chapter, "the Lady" that our three travellers meet after they crossed the bridge, said:

SC.p73, my edition wrote:...I'll be free with mine [counsel]. I've often heard of the giantish City Ruinous, but never met any who would tell me the way thither. This road leads to the burgh and castle of Harfang, where dwell the gentle giants. They are as mild, civil, prudent, and courteous as those of Ettinsmoor are foolish, fierce, savage, and given to all beastliness. And in Harfang you may or may not hear tidings of the City Ruinous, but certainly you shall find good lodgings and merry hosts. You would be wise to winter there.....

And now, in this chapter 7 we are about to arrive at Harfang, itself. I wonder how truthful is LOTGK's advice to our three travellers....:-?

For example, I wonder how does LOTGK know about the Ettinsmoor giants, to compare them to the Harfang ones? Does she know for sure, that Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum must have met Ettinsmoor giants? And if so, how does she know?

1. Why is Jill willing to consider Puddleglum’s dire predictions about creatures in the trench but not about the Knight or the danger of Harfang?

Good question! It seems that Jill has been overawed by LOTGK's beauty and her television-style presentation of the "Harfang Homestead Inn" she has been advertising. She and Eustace are so longing for hot baths, warm, comfortable beds and good, square meals, that they don't want to listen to anything Puddleglum says, even his views about what the strange trenches might represent. By now, she has long ago stopped repeating the signs, and can't really remember what comes next. But I doubt that is all that troubles Jill, if neither she nor Eustace will listen to what Puddleglum has said.

It seems that after her experiences with Scrubb's fear of heights, Jill Pole might be nursing a few fears herself, that she doesn't want to admit to, let alone face up to. We saw a preview of this in the Parliament of Owls chapter when she was less than delighted that her flight ended in a black hole of an owlish hideout. The BBC TV production of SC has her screaming as Glimfeather enters the place where the Parliament is to be held.

As a matter of interest, if Puddleglum had said nothing about giant earth-worms, giant beetles or dragons being associated with trenches like the ones she and Eustace explored, would she have been more comfortable, say, with camping overnight in those trenches, which did at least offer protection against the weather? Or would she have been a bit more ready to consider Puddleglum's misgivings about going to Harfang? It wasn't as if anything really happened to her whilst she was in the trenches.

2. What strikes you most of the description of the land they travel over in this chapter?

In contrast to the mountains the travellers have been crossing, the land seems to have changed drastically. Trees seem to be left behind, but not necessarily the boulders and stones. The land has flattened out somewhat, the road has deteriorated and its surface is in considerably more disrepair. On each side there seems to be huge walls and what looks like factory chimneys. The place where Jill falls into a trench seems to be on a flat-topped hill between the end of the road and where they can all see Harfang, ahead on a crag. They even have climbed up what looks like some stairs to get to the top of this hill. The weather is terrible out in the open, but the children, at any rate, are anxious to reach Harfang before the gates close.

3. What do you think of the conversation Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum have after Jill and Eustace investigate the trench?

A somewhat heated conversation. Puddleglum tries to draw their attention to what their surroundings look like, despite the poor visibility, but Jill doesn't want to know. Puddleglum asks what the next sign is, but Jill flies into a temper, because she has forgotten to repeat the signs, is not sure herself what the next one is and feels uncomfortably guilty. Eustace is not much better, asking "is this the time to admire the scenery"? Both of them really want to get out of the miserable weather, and the three of them have the most serious row that they have had up to date. Puddleglum, though reminding them again of the dangers of Harfang, feels obliged to go with them, especially as they aren't listening.

4. What does it say about Puddleglum that he is the first one to speak at Harfang?

Of the three travellers it is Puddleglum who is the most brave by being the first to speak. After all, he didn't want to go there, and is not deluded by LOTGK's claims, unlike Jill and Eustace. It must have taken courage of the first order to ring that doorbell and talk to the porter. How "mild, civil, prudent, and courteous" are these Harfang giants really, when compared to the Ettinsmoor ones? Do we really know yet?

However, the porter seems ok. He sends a youngster over to the main part of the building to notify the giantish leaders and meanwhile Jill and Eustace thaw out beside the fire whilst Puddleglum gets to sample a giantish version of the same nasty-tasting beverage he, himself, has taken along with him. The trouble is, though Puddleglum might be persuaded into believing he is sampling something he should be used to, the giantish version might be far more alcoholic per salt-shaker container than the substance Puddleglum normally drinks. So what he drinks may well affect him rather more drastically.

To be honest, I feel I don't want to judge him for getting drunk after what he has had to put up with up to then. But though it might ease Puddleglum's state of mind for the moment, his drunken state puts him out of action for some time. Despite his insistence on his respectability, he is somewhat comical, and it is ironic that when the three of them are summoned to the throne room, that reshpeckabiggle Puddleglum is carried off unceremoniously and dumped down in the main hall, looking not unlike one of the creepy crawlies he had warned Jill might be lurking in those trenches, but which weren't there.

And now let the fun begin.... :p
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Anhun » Jun 07, 2017 6:30 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:
For example, I wonder how does LOTGK know about the Ettinsmoor giants, to compare them to the Harfang ones? Does she know for sure, that Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum must have met Ettinsmoor giants? And if so, how does she know?

As long-lived and well-travelled as the Green Lady is, it would be strange if she didn't know about the Ettinsmoor giants. Also, the trio are trudging up from the south, so she could have deduced that they would have gone through Ettinsmoor, even if she was as innocent as she seemed.

2. For me the most striking thing about the description of the table land was the mini-labyrinth going nowhere. I've always liked the idea of a labyrinth, so that moment stuck with me, and I wondered (until the next chapter) who could have constructed such a thing?

3. This conversation was frustrating on re-read. I kept wanting to yell at Puddleglum, "Tell them there in a ruined city!" I could understand Eustace and Jill being too distracted by their hunger and fatigue stop and admire the scenery, but if he had actually pointed it out to them . . . maybe they still would have ignored him. Who knows?
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Anhun wrote:As long-lived and well-travelled as the Green Lady is, it would be strange if she didn't know about the Ettinsmoor giants. Also, the trio are trudging up from the south, so she could have deduced that they would have gone through Ettinsmoor, even if she was as innocent as she seemed.

Well.... :-? Maybe.... I've asked directions lots of times in my travels. And others ask me. Sometimes it has paid me to act dumb. ;) How does it pay LOTGK to also do so? I'd be suspicious of a lady from the North who seems to know all about the Ettinsmoor giants in the South, when she doesn't know anything about a City Ruinous or where it is in the North from whence she, herself, came. Yet, she can still tell us about a first rate place to stay run by giants at Harfang which is in that same general Northerly direction.

Especially when she seems interested in finding out why the children want to go there. And Puddleglum basically thinks like me when he tries to discuss the weather, and insists on keeping his own counsel. Frankly, the more you say she is "long-lived" and "well-travelled", the more "sus" she seems to my reading, and the more I want to suss her out. Does she regularly pay visits to the South, as she is in the process of doing? How far South has she travelled in the past? And how long ago did she visit Narnia, if she got that far South? Or am I getting ahead of myself a little? Of course, Jill and Eustace aren't nasty, suspicious people like me. :ymdevil:.

Anhun wrote:3. This conversation was frustrating on re-read. I kept wanting to yell at Puddleglum, "Tell them there in a ruined city!" I could understand Eustace and Jill being too distracted by their hunger and fatigue stop and admire the scenery, but if he had actually pointed it out to them . . . maybe they still would have ignored him. Who knows?

I know how you feel. ^:)^ Yes, the terrain does get really bad. Rocky, too many trees, no road repairs for ages, etc. Just what one would expect to find on the road to a City Ruinous. And it becomes much worse the further North they went. And then rubble, rather too sculpted ruins and...factory chimneys? Something that even school-aged children in UK's 1953 would surely have recognised, so soon after WW2 bombings.

If it wasn't for the snowstorm about to descend upon them, I'd have lost interest in Useless Eustace and Chilly Jill entirely at this point for not listening to Puddleglum, who was trying to get them to realise for themselves exactly where they were. Yes, in that City Ruinous they were trying to reach. Whatever Puddleglum said later on, he couldn't have physically hauled both children away from Harfang, kicking and screaming, especially in that weather, without damaging both his coldblooded Marshwiggle capabilities and his own moral integrity.

And from the moment Puddleglum bangs on the door at Harfang to gain entry, I'd only have one way to describe LOTGK: :^o

6. Discuss how this chapter should be adapted. (ex. what do you most want to see, what problems do you see, etc.)

For a start, I'd want the producers to stick to the book, so as not to give too much away too soon. I've also found it frustrating answering this question, in particular, without referring to what I knew was about to happen later on, and those who will see the film need to be also kept on tentahooks for what the catches and clues might be. We know the signs, and there are clues littered all through their journey so far, ever since Puddleglum agreed to set out with Eustace and Jill. And we should be mindful of what Eustace said about Caspian having beaten the Giants in battle.

I wouldn't make the scenery look too dull and dreary, just difficult enough for people to walk over and get thoroughly tired. Otherwise the story might get too grey, dark and fuzzy. And there are whole swathes of SC that are either underground, up a tree or in gloomy weather, which will be a real challenge for the film crew to make the action clearly visible.

It shouldn't just be the bright, poisonous garb worn by LOTGK which identifies her decisively, but also the TV style glossy advertisement she favours the children with. However lovely LOTGK looks, there should be something a teensy "off" about her. Such as a brief deadpan expression some people get when they might not be telling the truth or less of the truth than they should. ;) Enough to get Puddleglum's alarm bells ringing.

The giants on Ettinsmoor seem more like an outlying border patrol, which plays games to while away the boredom, and might very well be rotated with those other Giants further north from time to time. By now, there are a few reasons why so many who set out to find the missing prince never made it back. If the border patrol didn't get them, the terrain would. Or they would have been intercepted by LOTGK, to misdirect them to Harfang. Going to Harfang should be somewhat scary, and frightening, no matter how LOTGK extols the place, and despite the more hotel-like look of Harfang, itself. The porter's lodge should be almost as grim a place as can be found in any fortress, despite the lovely fire, and even though the giants they meet are relatively jolly, in the same rough and ready sort of way that might be found in any army barracks.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Ryadian » Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

In the trench, she's already frightened and uncomfortable because she doesn't like underground places. Believing Puddleglum in that scenario is all too easy. However, if she believes him about the Lady and Knight being untrustworthy, and Harfang being dangerous instead of a safe haven, then she has to give up the idea of a warm place to sleep.

The book is constantly calling attention to how unusual the terrain and obstacles they encounter are. Even if we can't get a clear picture because the characters can't see, we get a clear idea that there's something very unusual about where they are.

I think it says a lot both about his bravery, and the fact that he does genuinely seem to put the group first.

I'm really curious how they'll handle a scene where the characters can barely see in a visual medium like a movie.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Because it's convenient for her; she's already scared. Confirmation bias. :P

*notes that this passage confirms that Eustace does, indeed, have a phobia of heights* I could never remember if I was just assuming that or not.

I keep finding myself wishing that Puddleglum had jumped down into the trench with the other two... it gave them some shelter from the awful weather, but the minute that he pulled Eustace and Jill back out into the bitter cold above, they didn't care a whit about the mystery of the trenches anymore and instead could only focus on Harfang. If Puddleglum had only joined them, they could have had a proper conversation and maybe realized what was right under their feet! (Until somebody mentioned how the giants lock the door in the mid-afternoon and forgot the signs in their desperation, I suppose. And I imagine there was some concern about being able to climb back out.)

I thought it was amusing, especially my mental image of him vaguely kicking at the air when the giant picks him up, but I can quite understand Eustace's feelings when Jill's fear and Puddleglum's inebriation leave it to him to address a whole hall full of giants. :P

One thing that comes to my mind is that I hope they do a wonderful job with the weather... it's described as being a beast of a day, and I really want to empathize with the kids for wanting to get on to Harfang. Jill says they'll die if they stay out on a night like this, and the giants think they have naturally blue skin when they arrive at Harfang because they're so chilled to the bone! So no pretty, Christmass-y snow scenes here, please.

waggawerewolf27 wrote:For example, I wonder how does LOTGK know about the Ettinsmoor giants, to compare them to the Harfang ones? Does she know for sure, that Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum must have met Ettinsmoor giants? And if so, how does she know?

Maybe that one that saw them but only stomped away laughing was an informant? :-\
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Hwinning » Jul 13, 2017 6:26 am

I agree with Rose Tree Dryad, Convenience!

Unlike everyone else, I'm more scared than amused. Is he losing hope? Is he throwing in the towel? Or,
is he faking it all along so he can have the advantage of surprise?
Either way, him getting drunk seems very out of character

~I want to make the Harfang giants look eerily similar to the Ettsinmoor giants. ~Don't make what's going to happen obvious. When I read the book for the first time, I remember feeling uneasy. I knew something bad would happen, I just didn't know exactly what. Let's keep it that way.
~To add to that, I imagine the characters being oblivious
to their immediate danger
Hwinning
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Rose Tree Dryad wrote:
waggawerewolf27 wrote:For example, I wonder how does LOTGK know about the Ettinsmoor giants, to compare them to the Harfang ones? Does she know for sure, that Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum must have met Ettinsmoor giants? And if so, how does she know?

Maybe that one that saw them but only stomped away laughing was an informant? :-\

Interesting idea! It ties together the little details...

Hwinning wrote:5...is he faking it all along so he can have the advantage of surprise?

Puddleglum seems a straightforward character; I can see him coming up with this as an explanation after the fact but not devious enough to think it up and follow through by faking. I've always felt that the scene is meant as comic relief, but it also further strips away the protection they were given before they left Narnia. Puddleglum is no longer going to be able to warn them if there's a sign of danger and Jill and Scrubb are so set on getting warm that they're not thinking of anything else.

4. What does it say about Puddleglum that he is the first one to speak at Harfang? Honestly, it is one of my favorite Puddleglum moments. He could have waited for Jill or Scrubb to say something, because this was their idea, or kept arguing that they should look around and back at their surroundings, but instead he facilitates their plan. He's not holding a grudge or rubbing it in. He's a good friend.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Movie Aristotle » Dec 24, 2017 10:05 pm

I think he showed great courage. I also think he wanted to take control of a potentially dangerous situation. But also, I think he was just a bit curious about these gentle giants himself.

Edit:

Was he really drunk though? I still don't have a satisfactory opinion on that. Puddleglum says he was just putting the giants off their guard. Shouldn't we believe him? Are we really to believe that someone as cautious as Puddleglum would throw this caution to the wind at the first offer of a drink?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Risto wrote:Are we really to believe that someone as cautious as Puddleglum would throw this caution to the wind at the first offer of a drink?

He did sip carefully. Do you suppose he could tell if it was/was not stronger than the stuff he was accustomed to drink?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm

No, not always by taste alone, depending on whichever grog Puddleglum favoured. Vodka, for instance, is virtually tasteless and undetectable if mixed with something else. In real life, different brands of spirits might have different levels of alcohol eg overproof rum versus underproof rum. Beer in Australia can be either low alcohol or full strength, but there is a slight difference in taste, and it isn't a good idea to keep beer beyond its use-by date.

Would he have been looking for something that was "off" perhaps? It isn't a good idea to keep wine for years, as it can go off, especially if it isn't kept cool. And he was right to be cautious, since the alcohol might have been spiked in some way. On the other hand, how much of his drunken act was an act, and what did it achieve?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Meltintalle wrote:
Risto wrote:Are we really to believe that someone as cautious as Puddleglum would throw this caution to the wind at the first offer of a drink?

He did sip carefully. Do you suppose he could tell if it was/was not stronger than the stuff he was accustomed to drink?

Yes, I always assumed that Puddleglum didn't expect the drink to be as strong as it ended up being. He is very cautious, so it wouldn't make sense for him to get intentionally drunk.

On the other hand, I did find it a bit comical.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Col Klink » Apr 06, 2020 5:03 pm

Puddleglum getting drunk
(or pretending to do so if you like that interpretation)
is really funny but, like Meltintalle said, it also makes the scene scarier. Puddleglum's been the only one of the three to be on his guard against the LOTGK and the giants of Harfang. With him MIA, there's a bigger chance Eustace or Jill is going to do something stupid. It ends the chapter on an ominous cliffhanger for me.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby TheLukeskywalker2 » May 13, 2020 8:12 pm

1. Why is Jill willing to consider Puddleglum's dire predictions about creatures in the trenches, but not abouut the Knight or the danger of Harfang?

Both Eustace and Jill were very cold and wet, wanting something dry and warm, which Harfang is. So Jill may be thinking that it is wasting time investigating the trenches where she wants to get to Harfang regardless of the consequences. It is also possible that The Lady of the Green Kirtle had bewitched or enchanted her, similar to how Jadis enchanted Edmund, but to a lesser degree.

3. What do you think of the conversation Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum have after Jill and Eustace investigate the trenches?

This is possibly the first time since the very beginning of the story that the signs are brought up as a conversation topic that we see. Considering that they have already traveled north, the sign that they are loookking for next is "You shall find the writing on the stone in that ruined city and you must do what the writing tells you to do." If Jill knew the signs as well as she should have, Puddleglum's question would have made them remember that they are looking for lettering, which they just walked through as an E. If they had figured out what the writing was talking about, it is quite possible that they would never have had to go to Harfang. When Jill correctly recalls the fourth sign as the third, Puddleglum mentions that he thinks that it's wrong, but the kids want to hurry to Harfang.

6.  Discuss how this chapter should be adapted. (ex. what do you most want to see, what problems do you see, etc.)

The best thing that the adapters can do in this section is to stick with the book. This chapter masterfully sets stuff up for later, without letting the audience know too much. A conversation about the signs may be useful as well, depending on how they deal with the information inside Jill's head. (Not knowing the sighs like she is supposed to).

Since Netflix is likely to make this episodic, I envision the episode starting with the final bit of the climb, going through the trenches, and ending part of the way through the part of the story that is in Harfang. If they do it this way, this mention of the signs might be used as a subtle reminder to the audience about the signs, without giving away that they are walking past one of the signs. 
TheLukeskywalker2
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 15, 2020 2:02 pm

The predictions about creatures play into her fears about the trench and supports her desire to get out of it. His predictions about the Knight and Harfang go against what she wants to hear.

The brokenness of the stones.

It did not go well. Jill and Eustace were so miserable they didn’t want to listen to Puddleglum. Puddleglum immediately put Jill on the defensive by questioning her remembering of the signs. He takes so long to get to his point about what he wants them to notice that he never does get to it because they get frustrated and walk off.

He is brave and he is a good sport about being out voted. I think I would have told the children, “You wanted to come here; you ring the bell.”
I don’t like that part.

Movie Aristotle wrote:5. What was your reaction to Puddleglum getting drunk?
Was he really drunk though? I still don't have a satisfactory opinion on that. Puddleglum says he was just putting the giants off their guard. Shouldn't we believe him? Are we really to believe that someone as cautious as Puddleglum would throw this caution to the wind at the first offer of a drink?

Hmm. Interesting point. I agree that it is hard to believe that Puddleglum would throw caution to the wind. As for his statement he was just putting the giants off guard, I have always assumed that this was not the truth.
SHOW SPOILER Chapter 8
Lewis himself throws doubt on Puddleglum's statement by saying that the children could never decide if the statement was true even though they believe that Puddleglum thought it was. Puddleglum himself doesn't give a definite statement. "...I do assure you it was--well most of it was--put on." He also has a headache which suggests a hangover. The BBC television series uses dialog and expressions to imply that he was indeed drunk. Eustace even says that Puddleglum has a hangover (which he quickly adjusts to headache at a look from Puggleglum.) I'm not saying that the BBC was right; but their interpretation influenced mine.
I would love to believe that he was acting and was mostly in control of his facilities but I don't feel that the evidence is conclusive.
Exactly as written. The most difficult choice will be how much to make clear to the audience. Should they be able to tell that it is a ruined city? Should they get an aerial view of the E? I am leaning towards yes, but I also want it to be a little vague. The snow should still make it a bit hard to tell it is a ruined city. And the E should only be clear for a brief moment.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb