This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Casting suggestions for Puddleglum

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Casting suggestions for Puddleglum

Postby fantasia » May 07, 2017 7:24 pm

I know the CGI thread kind of doubles for this thread, but now that the ball seems to be rolling from the fans point of view, I thought I'd go ahead and restart an official thread for casting suggestions for Puddleglum. :)

And to start us off, I have (I think) a new suggestion, and one I think could be a legitimate possibility. How about Mark Rylance? (Google for lots of good pics)
He's not a big-time actor (which is a big plus in my book ;) ), but he's won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for 'Bridge of Spies', if they go with a full or partial CGI Puddlglum, Mark has experience with CGI acting as he played the giant in 'The BFG', and I think he's got a really good overall look for Puddleglum.

What do you all think? What other actors do you all think would be good?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Casting suggestions for Puddleglum

Postby coracle » May 08, 2017 3:51 am

I will definitely go with "use another ex Doctor Who" particularly the wonderful David Tennant, or else the sometimes gawky looking Matt Smith.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 11, 2017 12:18 pm

I like Mark Rylance as a possibility! I was just watching some clips from Bridge of Spies and was quite impressed. (Here and here, for those curious.) He can look so dour and yet, looking at pictures, can also have a cheeky smile and a twinkle in his eye... he could be a great fit for the role.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anfinwen » May 12, 2017 8:24 am

Doug Jones was brought up on the other thread, and I'd be curious to hear people's opinions on Hugh Laurie. I haven't seen him in much, but he seems like a great choice to me.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 12, 2017 1:06 pm

I think he has a good look for the role, Anfinwen, and I quite like that he's from Oxford... he may already be familiar with the slow burring Cotswold drawl of C.S. Lewis's gardener Fred Paxford, who is said to have been the inspiration for Puddlelgum.

However, one thing that makes me rather reluctant is that I believe he's a fairly outspoken atheist. Now, I am not saying that an atheist actor couldn't portray Puddleglum brilliantly, or that atheists can't find meaning or power or inspiration in Puddleglum's argument in the SC. That said, I have known atheists that have found Puddleglum's speech to be less than compelling, and I wonder if an actor could or should take on this role if that individual does not personally see value Puddleglum's argument. The last thing I want is an "Aptedation" of Puddleglum where the interpreter of the character feels that the source material is lacking!

Laurie has a tweet from back in 2014 conceding that it's odd for atheists to sometimes invoke or take in vain the name of Jesus or God, but questions if it's odder than religious people saying "Let's be reasonable." He may have meant it purely as a joke, but that sort of thing makes me question the idea of him taking on the role. Who knows, he could still put forth a truly inspired performance, but these circumstances make me rather skittish about the idea.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anfinwen » May 13, 2017 4:20 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:However, one thing that makes me rather reluctant is that I believe he's a fairly outspoken atheist.

Ah, I did not know that; thank you. I would definitely agree that it is really important for whoever plays Puddleglum to understand the nature and value of belief in something beyond what we can see or touch. A speech like that is best delivered from the heart.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » May 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Joe Johnston said his ideal Puddleglum would be John Cleese at age 25. Interesting! I only know of Cleese through his comedy, and while Puddleglum IS funny, it's a very dry humor that I can't QUITE picture Cleese delivering.

What are everybody's thoughts on this potential direction for Puddleglum? Both age (much younger than I had in mind), and comedic direction?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby narnia fan 7 » May 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't know, I can kind of see a young John Cleese as Puddleglum. He definitely had the right look. I've only see Cleese in monty python sketches his acting seems either bone dry or unbelievably silly. A comedic actor like him wouldn't be my first choice.

The age for Puddleglum isn't really an issue for me, I think I'd prefer a younger actor to an older one, but as I said it a big deal.

I hope they don't make Puddleglum too comedic, yes he's a funny character but I don't want them to go too far in that direction and have him constantly say amussing things.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Wilhelm Spark » May 22, 2017 3:47 pm

[a wild Wilhelm Spark appears]

I think Burn Gorman could be a good Puddleglum.*

[disappears offstage]

*See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pssOF_Uw16k
Wilhelm Spark
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby AJAiken » May 27, 2017 10:27 am

Ooh, I like the idea of Mark Rylance! He's excellent in Bridge of Spies (which I recommend) and plays a wonderfully serious character who hides a spark of humour.

I thought Joe's idea of John Cleese was interesting, but personally I don't really see it. I mainly know Cleese from Fawlty Towers, where he plays a frenetic, angry character. Hilarious, but the very opposite of Puddleglum! Of course, actors can play very different roles from what they're known for. Robin Williams in One Hour Photo, for example.

Burn Gorman I have seen in several small roles, and also in Pacific Rim and The Man in the High Castle. I find him a little creepy (!) which again isn't my idea of the character. I liked him a lot in Pacific Rim, where he was brilliantly awkward.

I kind of have someone like William Fichtner in my head when I imagine Puddleglum. I haven't seen him in very much, but I imagine a kind of quietness. I suppose because he plays a very gentle character in Contact.

My idea of Puddleglum is of someone who doesn't know that he's a bit ridiculous and humorous. I don't want the character to be aware that he's funny, or for him to be cracking jokes all the time. I believe he says everything with complete seriousness.

I can see Hugh Laurie pulling off that dry, serious kind of humour.
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lu_valient » Jun 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Mark Rylance, though older, is quite enjoyable. He won a Tony Award for his portrayal of Olivia in Twelfth Night. He played the character in a comically serious light. It was quite entertaining. Opus Arte filmed the production at the Globe if you're interested. I will say, however that he is fairly consistently in films, which could be a good or a bad thing.
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Jun 23, 2017 7:30 am

I think David Thewis could be a good choice. He has become bigger lately because of Wonder Woman but he has that kinda of droopy sad knowledgeable look. Not best choice I'm sure but I think they could make him look the part. His voice would get to me though. I agree Mark would be awesome as well. I really hope they do not CGI his character. I wouldn't like that at all.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anhun » Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm

fledge1 wrote:I think David Thewis could be a good choice. He has become bigger lately because of Wonder Woman but he has that kinda of droopy sad knowledgeable look.

Puddleglum should absolutely not be droopy and sad. I do agree with you that he shouldn't be CG, though. That would take away from his performance.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah after I posted that I thought sad was a bad idea. That's how I pictured him as a kid but when I reread it that is not the impression I have. It will be interesting to see who they pick.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jul 14, 2017 11:09 am

I think Paul Bettany could be an interesting choice. He's a pretty good actor, I think he's got the right frame for Puddleglum, plus he has experience acting in heavy make-up.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jul 16, 2017 2:43 pm

coracle wrote:I will definitely go with "use another ex Doctor Who" particularly the wonderful David Tennant, or else the sometimes gawky looking Matt Smith.

It is funny. Ever since JJ mentioned his perfect Puddleglum was a young John Cleese, I've been thinking more and more that these two would probably fall in line with what JJ is thinking.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Next