This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What if Lewis had written one more Narnia book?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: What if Lewis had written one more Narnia book?

Postby Alambil Stark » Oct 18, 2014 3:30 pm

I would like to see Lucy reunited with the Sea Girl she saw near the End of the World in the VOTDT. I don't know why I found that part of the book so interesting, but it really caught my attention. Maybe they could have been reunited in Aslan's Country in TLB.
Speaking of the Sea Girl, wouldn't it be nice if Lewis had written a story that took place under the sea? Lewis described a beautiful kingdom under the sea. It had its own castles, roads, and the Sea People were beautiful. Maybe it could have been written from the Sea Girl's point of view. Maybe she was a Sea Princess or Queen, like Lucy. It would have been nice to learn more about her.
Alambil Stark
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby PhelanVelvel » Oct 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Alambil Stark wrote:I would like to see Lucy reunited with the Sea Girl she saw near the End of the World in the VOTDT. I don't know why I found that part of the book so interesting, but it really caught my attention. Maybe they could have been reunited in Aslan's Country in TLB.
Speaking of the Sea Girl, wouldn't it be nice if Lewis had written a story that took place under the sea? Lewis described a beautiful kingdom under the sea. It had its own castles, roads, and the Sea People were beautiful. Maybe it could have been written from the Sea Girl's point of view. Maybe she was a Sea Princess or Queen, like Lucy. It would have been nice to learn more about her.

Oh, I really like that idea. I've wondered before about Lucy meeting her sea-friend once she's gone to Aslan's Country. I kind of wish that had been included.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 06, 2016 4:02 pm

I was wrapping up a reread of Prince Caspian this morning when I got rather hung up on something that Aslan said:

C.S. Lewis wrote:"There were many chinks or chasms between worlds in old times, but they have grown rarer. This was one of the last: I do not say the last. And so [the Telmarines] fell, or rose, or blundered, or dropped right through, and found themselves in this world, in the Land of Telmar which was then unpeopled. But why it was unpeopled is a long story: I will not tell it now."

Lewis! You can't just say something like that and not follow up on it! Now I'm all riddled with curiosity! :P

(I rather suspect, though, that the Land of Telmar might have been an early draft of Charn, and that the reason it was unpeopled was because somebody wiped out every breathing thing on account of her notorious pride.)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby narnia fan 7 » Sep 06, 2016 8:48 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Lewis! You can't just say something like that and not follow up on it! Now I'm all riddled with curiosity!

The fact that Lewis don't fallow up on everything one of the meny thing I love about the Chronicles for me it makes the world seem much bigger that we know that there all this history but we only get seven glimpses at it, plus, it's fun to speculate!

One thing I do kind of wish he had wrote about is Ram the Great. why was he greatest king of Archenland? What did he do to become great? I don't have an answer but it's fun to think about.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aileth » Sep 06, 2016 9:37 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Lewis! You can't just say something like that and not follow up on it! Now I'm all riddled with curiosity!

Ha! But he did. Most cruel.

narnia fan 7 wrote:The fact that Lewis don't fallow up on everything one of the meny thing I love about the Chronicles for me it makes the world seem much bigger that we know that there all this history but we only get seven glimpses at it, plus, it's fun to speculate!

And did he not tell certain stories because he didn't know them, or is he just teasing his readers? Those brief mentions are enough to set my curiosity raging. Like when a character is writing a story in a book, and it sounds so interesting and captivating, yet was never truly written. Arghh! (L.M.Montgomery's Emily books, for instance)

If he had written another book, it may not have been about any of those stories that came up; perhaps he would have written something entirely different. MN was really the only one that deals with origins of existing people and things. Even HHB, though set in the Golden Age, doesn't feel like a typical "we want to know more about our favourite characters" sequel. It is a fascinating story in its own right.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 07, 2016 5:32 pm

narnia fan 7 wrote:The fact that Lewis don't fallow up on everything one of the meny thing I love about the Chronicles for me it makes the world seem much bigger that we know that there all this history but we only get seven glimpses at it, plus, it's fun to speculate!

Ah, that is true. I do so love to speculate. ;))

One reason why the Aslan quote smarts especially is because it seems as though he wouldn't have said it that way if he didn't intend on telling the story at some point. Other mentions of off-screen Narnian happenings (such as King Gale saving the Lone Islanders from a dragon) don't come with a hint that Lewis may one day explain the tale in detail. So it drives me just a little crazy. :P

I wonder about Ram the Great as well! With parents such as Cor and Aravis, though, who had overcome so much to reach Archenland, I suppose it's not surprising that Ram would have grown up to be a remarkable ruler himself.

aileth wrote:And did he not tell certain stories because he didn't know them, or is he just teasing his readers?

I think it depends. I think in some cases—such as the mention of Telmar—he did have something in mind that he intended to develop into a story, whereas others were likely only images that never flowered into a full story, similar to the image of faun with the umbrella before it finally took shape and became LWW. So I would imagine that some of these little asides were seedlings that perhaps could have become stories at some point, but never took root here on earth in Lewis's lifetime.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Writer's World

Postby fledge1 » Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

I think it would be so awesome if someone wrote a book about jadis and charn. Her childhood and how she became who she ended up becoming. MN has a tiny bit of info that could really make for an epic story. Her interests did ever have a love interest. You could end it with her sitting in the hall frozen when they ring the bell and she just gets this evil smile. All life up to that point. Shoot maybe I should try it haha! But for real any clever people out there wanna give it a go or has it been done? If this is the wrong place please let me know.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby puddleglum32 » Sep 14, 2017 10:20 pm

I remember reading somewhere how a child wrote to Lewis (as many did) asking would there ever be a novel written "Susan of Narnia." I have always pondered about whether or not Susan actually made it into "heaven". I think if he had written the novel some things would have been cleared up.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby bardiafox7 » Sep 16, 2017 1:20 pm

I wish CS Lewis had created a spinoff series about Charn. I would love to know about the history and lore of that world. I could see it having an expansive mythology like Middle Earth, and I know Lewis had the talent to do something on Tolkein's scale. But unlike Tolkein, the world and mythos would have a definitive end. Charn reminds me of ancient Babylon, which makes it have a different ambience from other fantasy worlds.
bardiafox7
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 9:26 pm

I would liked to have seen how the White Witch conquered Narnia. That was a missing piece that really got my curiosity going :P
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Col Klink » Sep 03, 2018 12:49 pm

It wouldn't be a whole book but I'd love to read Aravis's backstory as told by C.S. Lewis. There are so many questions that could be answered. Why didn't she just tell her father she hated the idea of marrying Ahoshta? What was her dead brother like? What was hers stepmother's problem with her? How did she possibly get along with Lasaraleen? It'd also be interesting to read about more about her father's secretary who helped her escape. He seems like the only sympathetic Calormene character who is opposed to Narnians and Archenlanders and is still opposed by the end of the story. (Maybe that's why Lewis didn't want to describe him in detail; it would make the book too depressing.)

Honestly though, I think C.S. Lewis made the right decision writing Aravis's story the way he did. If he had told it more from her perspective, it'd really have slowed down the beginning of the book. Plus he would have had to change the title to "The Horses, the Girl and the Boy" or "The Horse, the Mare and their Respective Humans" or something. The way he writes Aravis's backstory works great.

Still, as a fan, I can't help but wonder about what might have been.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SSBN_Dawn_Treader » Sep 28, 2018 7:06 am

It's true, as a huge fan of The Horse and his Boy, I'd be all over a book (or come on, even a short story) about Aravis and her past.

I know that fan fictions exist, but they're what they are : fan-made fictions, and thus are fun but not canon... I'd write such a story if I didn't feel that C.S.Lewis's author skills are way above mine and if I wasn't certain that what I'd write would pale in front of the original material.
SSBN_Dawn_Treader
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous