This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Kids will be Kids

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Kids will be Kids

Postby fantasia » Nov 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Love that story wrose. ;))

So in the past two weeks, my incredibly active Evan has gone from horizontal craziness (running and running) to vertical craziness (climbing!). I admit, he gets it from me, as I lived in trees when I was little. ;)) But it's started to become a problem because in the couple minutes it takes me to walk out of the bedroom to throw away a dirty diaper, he's up the changing table and into my daughter's crib. The other day I was in the kitchen washing bottles and he pushed one of our tall kitchen chairs against the stair rail and start to climb up that, which happens to be open to the other side so he'd drop into the basement. NO!!!
We're looking into building something for him for Christmas that he can climb with minimal injury to him :P and no injury to Ariel (daughter). We found these cool indoor climbing trees online, though they're not available for sale in the USA, but I think we'll use them as an inspiration for something to build for him.
http://babyecochic.com/wp-content/uploa ... cochic.jpg
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 17, 2014 1:15 am

Excited I found this thread!

I became a first-time mom to my son Joshua this past April. Not only that, but I have 8 younger siblings (yes, you read that right! ;) ), so this thread totally applies to me. My youngest brother just turned five in October, and he loves being an uncle. And my six sisters (yes, you read that right as well) love being aunts, and are always fighting over who gets to hold Joshua. The other day I went to a church activity with my family, and I got back to the table after getting my food and was like, "Where's my baby?" "Oh, D has him" (using initials instead of names out of respect to my siblings). Later D comes back in, without Joshua, and I'm like, "Wait, NOW where's my baby?" "Oh, K has him." I don't mind having some time to visit and stuff, but every time I go to a church activity with my family it's like Joshua disappears!

Speaking of the devil, Joshua's waking up, so I gotta go take care of him. :)
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Alice_WL » Nov 19, 2014 5:36 pm

well, I know I don't have any children (never will either, I'm not the motherly type) but I was born 3 months too early. I had seizures, I was blind in one eye, and had a blood-clot in the other.

My mom took me to a faith-healer. He and the Lord prayed for me and healed my eye of the blood-clot (not even a scar was left behind) and I never had anymore seizures since then.

But at school when I was around 6 years old, I used to tell my teachers some wildly imaginative stories that I thought were true - which caused the teachers to have conferences with my mother from time to time to confirm if the story was true or not - I still have a wild imagination. :D

I was so fantasy-based that every time anyone asked me what I wanted to be when I was older, I'd tell them I wanted to be a mermaid. ^_^

Now, I have a child niece and she's starting to act just like me with the whole artist talent that I have. O.o
Alice_WL
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 20, 2014 12:25 am

I am not a child-friendly person. Well I can deal with them, but i feel out of place. Plus I am sour as, while other people are awing when a child cry's, all I am thinking "can someone people shut that child up".

Once I was left with children at work(since when is looking after children in my job description?). I was terrified one was going to be hit by a car( I was in the carpark).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Dec 11, 2014 4:01 pm

First of all, Fire Fairy, :D :D :D :D :D !!! Congratulations on your little Joshua, that's very exciting. ;))
Fire Fairy wrote:Not only that, but I have 8 younger siblings (yes, you read that right! ;) )
You know what's funny, something about this board attracts large families like yours. There are at least two active mods several emeriti, and gobs of members that come from the same sort family blueprint. :D
Well, I don't have a ton of siblings (just two!) but I do have a lot of close family members and when we all get together, Evan (the elder) tends to vanish. ;)) So I know how you feel.

IlF wrote:Plus I am sour as, while other people are awing when a child cry's, all I am thinking "can someone people shut that child up".
I literally loled at this. :)) Not to pick on you at all, but I don't know anybody who thinks a kid crying is cute. I know when my kiddos start wailing, I too am thinking about how to shut them up as quickly as possible. :)) But I know all too well that actually saying that would make the problem worse, and the gentle, motherly thing kicks in and the 'awwws' are to try to make them feel better. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 12, 2014 8:13 am

Hahahaha I am useless with very young children. I am not too bad dealing with them at 5+, I prefer less hyperactive children(my little brother and sister) compared to hyperactive children(my cousins). Last time I had to look after my cousins I spent hours dashing about, they were moving from one game to the next like there was no tomorrow, my little brother and sister had given up and gone off to do something else. =))

Than that time my little brother burnt his hand on a glue gum whilst doing a school project when my parents were out. Oh jeez that went on for hours, because he has no pain threshold...... I have burnt my hand on a glue gun plenty of times over the years and didn't feel the need to even let out a yelp. Though I did ones burn my hand on a grill and carried on like nothing had happened haha.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jan 26, 2015 11:09 am

A couple amusing kiddo stories (to me anways ;)) )

Evan has started counting. It goes "2...1...8...9." ;))

And Ariel has started smiling the biggest smiles and occasionally giggling. She is her mommy's girl ;) and loves pattycake.

ETA: Oh, and Evan's current favorite book is 'The Baby Beebee Bird.' @-) ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Feb 09, 2015 11:33 am

Must show off my babies. I hope you all don't mind. ;)
Here's Ariel, she will be four months next week. We think she's teething as she has started drooling like crazy.
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/fantasi ... w.jpg.html
And this is my Evan. :D He spent most of the weekend living outside and collecting rocks.
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/fantasi ... m.jpg.html
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Feb 09, 2015 1:14 pm

It's such fun reading all these stories, and love the photos, fantasia! :D :D

A belated congratulations to you, Fire Fairy, on the birth of Joshua ... 'though he's nearly 1 year old now! :D

I'm at the stage between having small kids and having grandkids. Our three children are adults now, but it could be years before we have little ones around again. ;)) My heart still melts every time I see a newborn/young baby/toddler. Great years, those. Tiring, yes, but so good!
johobbit

Postby De_De » Feb 10, 2015 9:00 am

Awww you have such cute kids fantasia_kitty!!! Ariel has such a happy face! And I just LOVE Evan's big eyes!!!

I was recently visiting friends in Volgograd (previously known as Stalingrad) and they had the most adorable one-and-a-half year old son!!! I spent most of the visit playing with him! He was soooo tiny, but quite strong! But he had such BIG eyes! I spent the whole visit running after him trying to get a decent photo of him, but they all turned out smuged except for one! (I am so proud of that one photo!) So here it is! (It took me three days to get it!)
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/dasha ... sort=1&o=0
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 10, 2015 7:01 pm

@Fantasia when the simple things like collecting rocks on the weekend were fun. haha in my case it was shells at the beach.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Feb 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Such cute kids! Love the pictures.

Evan has started counting. It goes "2...1...8...9."

When I first read this I couldn't help thinking of the countdown to rocket launches. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 13, 2015 8:27 pm

I had no trouble with math growing up, pronunciation and spelling on the other hand. I thought being good at math/science over spelling/writing ran in the family(well through my dad), but my older sister turned out the opposite(and is a good artistic, whereas both my parents do not really um do art) and my elder brother has a weird mix of the two, he is good at English and math, but doesn't get science.

I kind of ran off topic there.

Children seem to often talk to me randomly in public(old people aswell), I guess I am not very threatening looking(so they feel safe talking to me). this brings me too ;I have a pair of fox flats(they are from modcloth and basically have a picture of a fox face on the toe area) and I was in line at a shop one day and a kid in front of me kept looking at my shoes, and finally said " Why are you wearing foxes on your feet, foxes are mean for coats", I explained to her they are not real foxes(she would have been only around 3).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Recently my Dad asked my little sister if she had been good. Her respond was "is that a question or a statement?". ;)

Today my youngest brother was helping me bake cookies and I asked him how much cookie dough he had eaten. He said "not too much, 2, 3 bites". :) Plus two baked cookies. ;)

fk, your kids are so cute! :)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby wild rose » Feb 28, 2015 5:29 am

;)) SnowAngel

I was recently making chocolate balls with my nephew and I almost regretted it because he just kept stuffing the cookie batter into his mouth and I was seriously afraid he was going to get sick from it. But I guess kids don't get sick from stuff like that, because he's never been healthier ;))

My niece and nephew have been having some behavior problems recently, she's already four while he's only two so she can get very annoyed when he tries to join into her games and sometimes she starts pushing him. Once, I heard some angry shouts and came to see what was going on. My nephew was standing on the floor, crying while my niece was crawling all over the couch, building a tower out of pillows. I of course asked her if she had hit her brother and she replied 'no, he hit himself'. So I turned to my nephew and asked if his sister had hit him, and in between sobs he answered that she did. My niece didn't lose her head even though the truth was out. Before I could open my mouth to reprimand her, she quickly grabbed his hand, loudly stating, "come, we can play together, I can share with you, you stand here and help me build.' Of course he calmed down right away and was very happy and my niece looked at me all bright and happy,obviously proud of what a kind, sharing, older sister she was. That little girl is very smart and very sneaky ;)) but at least they made peace and played happily together, so alls well that ends well :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby fantasia » Feb 09, 2016 8:39 am

I was just thinking 'I need to come post in this thread again, it's been a while.' I see it's been exactly a year to the day since I last posted! Wow!

Well, lets see. Evan in a nutshell continues to be busy. He loves Curious George, mechanical devices (especially if they can be taken apart and dissected), climbing trees, making patterns with random toys and especially refrigerator magnets, and he's lately been into spelling out words. He started a special preschool this year to help him catch up on his speech as he's still about a year behind, but he's getting there. :) He mostly repeats what he hears so he will often talk in third person. "Evan, what do you want to watch? HMmm.. Lets watch George." ;)) But he's come a long way since school started. :D

Ariel has the worst case of Momma's Girl syndrome I've ever seen. :)) Where Evan is only slightly shy, Ariel will cling on like her life depends on it. If we're somewhere that she anticipates being set down she immediately bursts into tears. But at home she has embraced toddler life to the fullest. ;) She has the makings of a potential girly-girl as she loves to put bracelets on her wrists and wears those around. If she sees herself in the mirror with a headband or hat she'll leave it on because she thinks it's cute. Unlike Evan she is progressing at a normal rate with her words and knows quite a few. Also unlike Evan, her words are not perfect, they're mostly vowel sounds, so you have to understand the context of what she's saying. She has a favorite book, 'Yellowstone and Grand Teton -- Babies!' that we read about 5 times a day. She's obsessed with a picture of the fox kits in there. ;))

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/ ... iyykva.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/ ... x7qfev.jpg
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext