This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Pets Blog!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Pets Blog!!!

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 28, 2014 3:56 pm

aileth wrote:I've always pined after an elephant, but the forage bill would be considerable--definitely not an apartment pet, eh Rosie?

No, I'm afraid not! ;)) I've often wished that there were dwarf elephants, about the size of a large dog. They're so cute and loveable! Apparently they've found fossils of dwarf elephants on islands in the Mediterranean... oh well, time to dust off the ol' time machine. :P
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Jul 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Sort of the opposite spectrum from a woolly mammoth, eh? Can I sell you a cute little mammoth? No? How about a bridge in New York?

If I should ever buy a dog, I think I would go with a purebred. Our first dog was a German Shepherd, so I am very fond of the breed. However, mixed breed dogs have their benefits too. So far we have had 5 Corgi crosses; you would think that they would be little dogs, but most of them have had heavy, big-dog frames. Just with short legs.

Our first CorgiX was partly Golden Retriever. He basically looked like a GR with cut off legs. A very good conversation starter--"What is THAT?" Overall though, very nice-tempered dogs, and generally level-headed.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 31, 2014 2:54 pm

I've admired so many different dog breeds (and mixed breeds, too), but I've always loved the idea of a Newfoundland dog. Look at that fluffy coat and sweet face! I just wanna hug 'im. ;)) They seem so sweet and gentle, and if I ever get into a sticky situation in a body of water, they'll be happy to come rescue me, too. ;)) I've heard one drawback is that they drool a lot, however. Oh dear. :P
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Feb 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Newfies are adorable! Gentle giants. ;))

So, we had the privilege of being on the receiving end of two budgies today. :D A friend of our daughter's had two birds, but one of them (Baby Boy) died last week. :( The other was very lonely with her friend, and yet their owner felt it was time to give "Little One" to another good home. We went together to pick out a companion, and bought "Pippin". Little One is 2 years old and a pretty blue; Pippin is 2 months old and a lovely green. They seem to be glad to be together and have nuzzled a few times. *cue "awwwww"* ;)) They have not started bursting out in song yet, but apparently that should come. In any case, Little One was quite the singer before Baby Boy died. So, not only do these two have each other to get used to; ours is also a new environment for them. But it's nice to see them peaceful and content so far. Sweet little things, they are.
:)
johobbit

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 10, 2015 12:08 am

Ooo another animal named Little One! We have a cat named that, Jo :) Very cool!

Speaking of cats mine really like sitting on, rolling in, and breaking apart puzzles that are in progress... I only hope I haven't lost any pieces because this one looks really cool!

Everyone has been extra rascally recently because the cold temperatures and extreme snowfall has kept all rabbits and cats housebound. And none of them are very happy about it, except for Whitey. She stays indoors by choice during the winter time because she hates the cold. But my days are now occupied by keeping Little One from destroying the house and keeping Fluffy from glaring at me out of boredom and jumping out of her cage. Nosey's a little better about it. He sits at the door and whines a little, then curls up on the bed and sleeps all day.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 10, 2015 7:28 am

This is our little Alfie, he is a bit bigger now, but still very cute.
Attachments
10882094_10203038673839902_1467668635530839579_n.jpg
10882094_10203038673839902_1467668635530839579_n.jpg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 14773 times
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby De_De » Feb 10, 2015 8:40 am

Awwww IloveFauns, how cute!!! I just love bunnies! How old is he?
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 10, 2015 6:54 pm

In that picture around 1 month, now he is about 2.5 months old. He has become very naughty, my mum can't get him back in the cage at night(he is allowed to be in the backyard during the day, but not at night).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Feb 23, 2015 7:46 am

wolfy wrote:Ooo another animal named Little One! We have a cat named that, Jo :) Very cool!

:D Love that!

*enjoys reading the various pet stories* :)

Oooh, IlF, Alfie is adorable! What kind of rabbit is he, exactly? One of those lop-eared bunnies? Little 'monkey', though, eh, resisting going into his cage at night? :p

Our new budgies have become such good friends, and it always amazes me how responsive they are. Smart birds. They chat with each other and definitely respond to our voices and music. Heightened conversation in the room only heightens their singing, lol, which can sometimes can quite, erm, loud. ;)) Such cheery creatures! We have begun letting the one, Merry Little One, out to fly around on a daily basis. The other bird, Pippin, who is only just over 2 months old, had its wings clipped at the pet store, so they should be grown back in another month or so ... a good thing, as he is itching to fly around. (Yes, we do think its a 'he', as his cere is turning blue-ish. :) )
johobbit

Postby wild rose » Feb 25, 2015 3:12 am

IlF Alfie looks really cute :)

Jo, parakeets really are the sweetest birds. I'm so glad yours are getting along so well. I think I mentioned on facebook how we once got a parakeet and they told us at the store that it was a girl and I was young and naive then and didn't know how to tell the difference and two years later, on the day the parakeet died we found out he was a boy. ;)) (sometimes we joke and say the shock killed him)

Parakeets are actually my favorite birds, but since Robby's death I'm not quite ready to have another one, and for now have turned to other birds. :)

I don't know if I metioned it on NW, but around half a year ago, a friend told me her friend was looking to find a home for two peach faced lovebirds and I badgered my mom into letting me take them. For a while they had random names as everyone had different ideas of what to call them, and then the female became super aggressive and nearly killed the male and we had to seperate them. At that very time my whole family was obssessed with Avatar: the Last Air Bender and so we decided to name the female Zula, in reference to Azula, the Fire Nation princess with a nasty character :P . And then to make it match, we called the male Zuzu. They have officially been Zula and Zuzu for four months and the names have stuck :) They still live seperately, but recently they seem to have become more friendly and I'm hoping they will live together again. Probably around the next two weeks I'm going to try and put Zuzu back into the cage with Zula and see what happens :)

here's a picture of them :)
(every so often I let them fly around the room so they can stretch their wings and do some exploring, the lamp is their favorite place to sit :) )
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby johobbit » Feb 25, 2015 8:32 am

Your lovebirds are simply gorgeous, wrose. I love that photo of them. So sweet! Let us know how things go when you put Zuzu back in the same cage at Zula. I hope they behave themselves (or, Zula, specifically ;))) this time. :)

As for favourite places to sit, the lamp is Merry's spot of choice, also, when she is out flying. Speaking of which, it's time to let her out now. :D We thought at one point this last weekend she was going to land on the head of one of our sons, but she veered away and went straight for the lamp again. ;))
johobbit

Postby wild rose » Mar 08, 2015 5:54 am

Jo wrote:We thought at one point this last weekend she was going to land on the head of one of our sons, but she veered away and went straight for the lamp again. ;))

Haha ;))

None of the three parakeets I had during the course of my life ever perched on the lamp, they always prefered the curtain rod, and the ate away at the wallpaper :P The lovebirds don't like the curtain rod, though they've percherd on every possible piece of furniture, Zula even perched on Lucy's cage once, but she didn't think it a very great spot. The birds are a little suspicious of Lucy and she doesn't think very highly of them either.

Here's a funny bird story, I only just discovered the Zula has planted a garden in her cage ;)) . She's rather messy when she eats and she must have thrown her seeds around the cage. Both my birds have this terrible habit of spilling their water on the cage floor once they are through drinking, so the seeds were watered and recently they sprouted ;))

I have to admit, despite Zula's very nasty temper, she's really fun at the same time and never lets things get boring. Zuzu is more passive and basically does nothing all day, he just eats, drinks and sings VERY loudly from time to time. (seriously, those lovebirds are quite noisy, my sisters are realy saints for being able to put up with them. Though with time you do get used to all the chirping and it becomes background noise :) )
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby fantasia » Mar 16, 2015 11:23 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I've admired so many different dog breeds (and mixed breeds, too), but I've always loved the idea of a Newfoundland dog. ...
I've heard one drawback is that they drool a lot, however. Oh dear. :P

/latest reply ever.... ;))
I don't know if you'll ever see this Rose, but I have a Newfie. :D Her name is Fiona. Does she drool? Yes. But does she drool a lot? Only when I give her peanut butter OR if she's out running, running, running, she'll start getting foamy and nasty. ;)) She's nothing compared to some of the Mastiffs I've seen.
Now one of the biggest issues I've encountered with her is her grooming needs. I had plenty of time to brush her when I didn't have kids, but now that I do, she's hard to take care of, and I don't have the money to take her in to a groomers all the time. Just last week it started warming up so I took a scissors to her and cut off a LOT of fur, mostly on her legs, belly, and tail. I'm not done, but she feels a lot better. Goodbye mats. :P
Here she is with my little girl :) (Well, her head anyways.)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I saw, fantasia! :-h Oh my goodness, that picture is so precious! I've always heard that Newfies are splendid with children and it looks like your Fiona is no exception! :D *takes some notes about peanut butter and vigorous exercise* ;)) I'd love to have one someday, although I'm not sure how happy they would be in the North Carolina summer heat. :-? (I'm miserable enough in July, and I don't have a thick fur coat! :))) I suppose I'll have to see where I end up living in the next several years and then pick a pup according to the climate. ;))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby starkat » May 08, 2015 5:45 am

While this story isn't about a "pet", it is about an animal...

Narcolepsy in horses is supposedly very rare. My riding instructor had two horses that had signs of it. One was rare and occasional, the other was a known diagnosis. She's since sold one, but has the mare with the known diagnosis. The mechanism in a horse's knees that keep them upright when they fall asleep doesn't work in hers, so she will face plant if she falls asleep standing up. However, she knows it's a problem, so when she gets drowsy, the mare starts shifting around to keep herself awake.

When my instructor bought this mare, she bought a gelding at the same time. Apparently, due to mud, this gelding has been missing his afternoon nap. Yesterday, while tied to the rail getting groomed for lessons, he fell sound asleep. When the rider went to adjust his stirrups, the horse about fell over on top of him. He is NOT allowed to turn into his "sister". :P No more narcoleptic horses! :P

I took a picture of him sleeping with his head on the rail. I'd upload it, but it's not at a spot I can do that at the moment.
starkat

Postby starkat » May 29, 2015 6:03 am

Another funny horse story:

My trainer has this stuff called Quench that we use if a horse isn't drinking well or is dehydrated. It's a bit like Gatorade for horses. My trainer has a mare by the name of Lark who hasn't had it before.

It's been REALLY muddy (like 12in+ deep in places) and muggy. I went out to get her one day and it was fairly obvious she hadn't had a drink in awhile, so I mixed a small bucket of Quench up and Lark stunned me by drinking the bucket as fast as she could. She pretty much was like a dog with a treat that you try and take away a part of it so they don't scarf it down too fast. "Excuse ME! Come back here with that! I am NOT through!" :P

I fixed her a second bucket and she drank that one too. (She was slightly dehydrated, it was a high temp, high humidity day.) I rode her and offered her another bucket with about a half a scoop of Quench in it instead of a full scoop. She drank that one too. I quite literally touched the bucket and she glued her eyes to it with an expression that said "More please!" before I gave it to her after the ride. I originally wasn't going to give her any more.

Two nights ago, she had back to back lessons to be ridden in and she came in with signs of not having been near a water trough again. This time, we just hauled a bucket of water out to the arena and offered her and the mule a drink between classes. Lark was offended there wasn't any Quench in it. I was told she stuck her nose in, mouthed it, and pretty much turned her nose up at it.

Goofball mare. No more Quench for her for awhile. She needs to stick to straight water.
starkat

PreviousNext