This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What does Jill look like to you?

Brunette (brown or black, any shade)
21%
Redhead (red, orange, ginger- any shade
4%
Blond Hair (from white to golden, to "dirty"-any shade)
10%
Hair with Body (straight, curly, crimped a mix- any body)
19%
Straight Hair (self explanatory)
11%
Blue Eyes
6%
Green Eyes
8%
Brown Eyes
7%
Hazel Eyes
13%
Black or Gray Eyes
1%

Total votes : 230

Re: Jill Pole

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 08, 2009 6:23 am

true, JillPoleWannabe123, the actress' ability to act "Jill" is the most important thing.
av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 08, 2009 8:43 am

You're on the money JillPoleWannaBe! The fans may throw really small fits if the actresses don't look like what they wanted Jill to, but we'll go crazy if she can't act. ;) :D
However, i wouldn't worry about that. Ben Barnes looks nothing like Caspian, but he acts good, I'll give him that!
And they can cut the actresses hair (I might even prefer it, but no straightining her hair or curling it or changing her eye color or hair color just for the fans. Don't change the actresses appearance, keep it natural!)
Has anyone any other pretty much unknown actresses around 14 years of age? I saw somone who reminded me of jill at camp, but she isn't an actress, she's to young, and she's an American, like me.
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 08, 2009 10:06 am

Wind_Eagle wrote:I do have to point out that C.S. Lewis mentioned Jill DID have curls, at least I think he did, when they still don't know they are to be eaten by the 'friendly giants', and they act kind of foolishly, Lewis mentions that Jill moves her hair this way and that, shaking her curls, in a very stupid and childish way (and then the giantesses all start crying and saying that it's a shame....). I can't be completely sure, since I don't have my copy anywhere near, but could someone please check for me? thanx.

You're right:

And then (it made her hot all over when she remembered it afterwards) she would put her head on one side in an idiotic fashion which grown-ups, giant and otherwise, thought very fetching, and shake her curls, and fidget, and say, "Oh, I do wish it was tomorrow night, don't you? Do you think the time will go quickly till then?"
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 08, 2009 12:56 pm

I think Jill is gonna be harder to act than the other girls so far. Not that Lucy and Susan are 'simple', it's just that Jill seems a little more complex and might be harder to nail down on screen.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm

true, TheGeneral, Jill has a lot of dimensions, feelings, etc. about her that Lucy and Susan dont have
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I always thought Jill curled her hair. When I read the book I didn't notice the part about her shaking her curls (ignorant me 8-| ) but I imagined her hair curled there. Then I read it again and noticed that line. So I've always imagined her with straight-ish hair. But that's only my opinion.
NothinButNarnia- Neither does Peter or Digory or Polly or (maybe) Eustace and edmund.
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 09, 2009 12:29 pm

I think that expression "shake her curls" is more of a fact stating that she shook her hair in a childish fashion, I dont think everyone should take it so literally
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ellz_bellz » Sep 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Yes, the actress who plays Jill doesn't have to be the exact dead-straight image of Jill. She just as to be able to act, THATS ALL I ASK!

That point where Jill 'shakes her curls' is actually, I believe a turning point for her. Shestarts to see the difference between being fake childish and ACTUALLY childish. She starts to take a bit of the responsibility for her self, I think
Proud that VDT is Australian :)
siggy by lover of narnia, avie by jillhope
ellz_bellz
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 12, 2009 8:38 am

All of the characters have a change in them beginning to end. Lucy learns to trust Aslan and Edmund isn't a bully and is a Just King, now. Peter grows confident of being the leader with Aslan's help, Caspian like Peter, is a child, then suddenly a King with big responsibilities. Susan also learns to let go of hr fears in PC (book). Eustace isn't a spoiled child by the end of VDT, and Jill has a change too. Good observation ellz_bellz. She's still a kid, but during SC she matures a great deal. I think the turning point is when she realizes the LotGK led her and her friends to the castle so the giants could eat them for Thanksgiving.
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 12, 2009 12:47 pm

yeah, i'm not saying the other characters don't change, Jill just seems to have a lot more going on about her than other characters
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Broadway_Freak » Sep 14, 2009 6:19 pm

NothinButNarnia wrote:true, TheGeneral, Jill has a lot of dimensions, feelings, etc. about her that Lucy and Susan dont have

I think Jill is alot easier for tween/teen girls to relate to than other characters. Her personality is alot bigger, and Silver Chair relates Jill's thoughts and feelings alot more than any book does for the Pevensie girls.
Avvie By Rising_Star :D
Broadway_Freak
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lillian » Sep 14, 2009 8:09 pm

ellz_bellz wrote:Yes, the actress who plays Jill doesn't have to be the exact dead-straight image of Jill. She just as to be able to act, THATS ALL I ASK!

My thoughts exactly ellz_bellz I do want her to look somewhat similar to what C.S. Lewis described though, because it won't feel as authentic if she looks completely different.

Quick Question: Will SC be the next movie they make? (If they make another one :( )
Avatar and Signature by lover of narnia Thank you!
Lillian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Lillian wrote:Quick Question: Will SC be the next movie they make? (If they make another one :( )

Yes, if VDT is successful then SC is certain to follow. :ymapplause:

Just finished rereading the chapter where Jill is given the task by Aslan and is blown into Narnia on his breath. Since she is my favorite human character from our world who enters Narnia, I think getting who she is right is of primary importance.

Of secondary importance would be her appearance. It would be nice to say of the actress that gets the part: "she looks like Jill or close enough".

But wow, I wonder how many thousands of young girls want to play her and will get to audition, or not? #:-s Casting Jill Pole will certainly be an interesting and important aspect of getting The Silver Chair off the ground.

Well, those are my current thoughts about Jill. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Yes, I agree glimglum, Jill has so much depth and, how do i say it, potential, of being the most interesting human character in Narnia. I really hope they choose a very talented and diverse actress to play her - one that is great at facial expression (esp. in the eyes) and can act without words.
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby eustacegirl » Sep 15, 2009 4:57 pm

I think her hair should be past shoulders in SC, mid back in LB. I think seh should eb feisty and becomes more gentle and femine and tender
eustacegirl
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm

seh and eb? You mean she and be?
Well, I never really thought of her as feisty. But that's just me. Everyone else seems to say she is.
Overall, I like you're description, Eustacegirl.
NothinButNarnia- ooh! Yes! Eye acting, like Trumpkin!

- :)Giant
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext