This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

How's About Prince Rilian?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: How's About Prince Rilian?

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Any thoughts on Daniel Vincent Gordh [Darcy in "Lizzie Bennet Diaries"]? He's 29.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3014867/
220chrisTian

Postby EtJ » Sep 25, 2014 11:32 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:
The cool thing about having Rilian look like Lilliandil, I don't think Eustace would be as likely to recognize him as he spent so much time with Caspian. But perhaps it wouldn't make a difference.

Thoughts?

That's an interesting point- very interesting. I've sort of an idea, based on the BBC rendering, that his image was implanted in both Eustace and Jill's mind by the stories of Aslan and the owl. Another thought is that the enchantment he was under could have made him unrecognizable.
"To the Great Western Wood, I give you...."
EtJ
Moderator Emeritus
Mad Mod of GMD and G&B

Postby PhelanVelvel » Sep 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Like we've previously discussed in other topics, I will be very disappointed if the actor cast doesn't have a background in theatre/Shakespeare. I know I really don't want some young guy that's popular with teens just to cash in on his image, which is something I'm always afraid of Hollywood doing. I know Rilian himself is young, of course, I just mean I don't want them to get an actor for his pretty face alone and not take into consideration the acting background which would benefit a character like Rilian.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Sep 25, 2014 10:19 pm

fantasia_kitty talked about Jamie Bell! I just LOVE him, he's a truly talented and amazing actor, but it's almost impossible to have someone like him. He would be perfect for the heavy scenes when Rilian is out of control, and he's the type that can pass as either a sweet guy or a totally creepy one.

I like the ideia of Peter Gadiot or Harry Lloyd as Rilian, but I don't know them. After have finished Penny Dreadful, I had thoughts about Harry Treadway, too. Just like Jamie Bell, he can be good or bad in a second, and you really don't know if he's the good or the bad guy.

In other news, people on tumblr seems to love the ideia of Eddie Redmayne, haha.
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Sep 26, 2014 8:52 am

Lake Lachrymose wrote:In other news, people on tumblr seems to love the ideia of Eddie Redmayne, haha.

That's hilarious because I JUST watched the trailer for Jupiter Ascending where he's the main bad guy. I haven't ever seen him before.
He definitely looks like he could make a good possessed/enchanted Rilian. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby coracle » Sep 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Re Jamie Bell: I think his very distinctive eyes are a factor to be considered. They are light (not like Ben/Caspian) and smallish looking. Do they resemble Liliandil's eyes? If not, I would not be convinced he is Caspian and Liliandil's son.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Sep 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Eddie Redmayne is on Jupiter Ascending? I didn't know, haha. I like him, he's a good actor. :)

Hm, do you mean if his eyes resemble Laura Brent's eyes? If so, I do think he have a similarity.
“In The Chronicles of Narnia we feel the magical comfort of that eternal optimism, that belief that the best is somehow always yet to come.” — Claire Fallon
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 26, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't think I've seen Eddie Redmayne in anything, I will be checking out that Jupiter Ascending trailer. I do like his look though.

I just got back into watching Once Upon a Time and I noticed that actor Sebastian Stan as Jefferson can be a good match for the Narnian prince too.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Anfinwen » Sep 29, 2014 3:26 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:Other suggestions? I know that Richard Armitage was a fave for a while.

I never even thought about him! He's not the blond the book describes, but he would certainly make an excellent black knight. He has already proved that he can deliver difficult lines, and he has the attention to detail needed. He seems about the right age too. I mean, if Caspian was in his late 70s early 80s when Rillian came home, Rillian would need to be at least 30. That still puts Rillian being born when Caspian was in his late 40's!

I've heard several others mention that the actor needs a Shakespearean background... Richard read Shakespeare to prep for the part of Thorin.
GD: Characteristics of your Thorin remind me of Shakespearean monarchs; did you look to Shakespeare or other theatre and literature for inspiration?

]RA: You know, I looked mainly through Tolkien – I looked at all of his work, looked to mainly the dwarves, coz he writes about dwarves in general … In terms of preparation, it kind of happened by accident coz I was doing vocal work, coz I wanted him to sound a certain way. I wanted to pitch my voice lower, I wanted him to be able to speak quietly but resonantly … and I ended up using Henry V, Richard III and Macbeth as soliloquies that I could use to get some vocal production going. But I found in all three of those characters [aspects of Thorin] … the whole idea of the rallying cry of a leader on the battlefield is very much Henry V; the self hating deformity of Richard III was sort of relevant; and also the Macbeth figure when it comes to the gold lust – this man who believes he is doing the right thing and gets corrupted by something which ultimately destroys him … I just felt that those three figures were all going to be pretty useful for me to have in my head.

Philippa really writes … the writing really evolved around both of our work – so she did take that character into a kind of Shakespearean tone. I mean, Tolkien is kind of a bit cheeky with Thorin … you know, when Thorin speaks at Bag End Tolkien kind of has a go at him and says, ‘That was his way’ – that Thorin could be kind of … overly verbose as a speaker! He’s almost like, ‘Get on with it!’ … So I wanted to be amused by that, but at the same time, Philippa and Fran really wrote a tone for Thorin which I just enjoyed – they gave me some great lines to say, great phrase structures. So you’re right – the Shakespearean stuff was really useful.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/12/05/66668-richard-armitage-talks-to-theonering-net/
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Sep 29, 2014 5:01 pm

I think at 43, Richard Armitage might be a touch too old to play Rilian (imho), if the filmmakers are aiming for 30. I'm not opposed to an increase in Rilian's age though. It's certainly not as annoying to me to increase his age as it was with Ben Barnes playing Caspian in PC.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DamselJillPole » May 21, 2015 2:22 am

What about Australian actor Xavier Samuel?
Yes he and Laura Brent played lovers in A Few Best Men but he almost looks like Ben Barnes. I also met him in person a week ago and yes I could see the resemblance close enough. He had a charming sense of humor too. Not the kind Rilian has but at least he has it.

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lake Lachrymose » Jun 19, 2015 7:45 pm

That's interesting. He's Emily Browning's boyfriend and I had no idea that he was in the Twilight movies and Emily almost took the Bella Swan role, but she refused, haha. Well, you are right about the resemblance with Ben Barnes, even more with longer hair.

It's incredible. He and Ben Barnes do look alike. I think he totally could pass as Caspian and Lilliandil's son, but I never watched anything with him so I don't know what his acting looks like. It's just a whole happy coincidence that he has worked with the gorgeous Laura Brent before!
Lake Lachrymose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Wow, I can't get over how much he looks like the son of Ben Barnes and Laura Brent! I haven't seen him in anything, but if he can play a madman convincingly and make Rilian's courtly language sound natural, I think he could be a good fit. He does look a trifle young to me (Rilian is about 31 when Jill and Eustace meet him), but he can always be aged with makeup if necessary.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 04, 2015 9:21 am

Guys, I want Tom Hiddleston. Just hear him recite Shakespear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5lhfKUFNN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv9dmOfem2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHia1zu_YNI

He's 34, and I don't think that's too old. He's a natural blond as well.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Ooh, I like that suggestion, Anfinwen! Aside from making Shakespearean language sound effortless and natural, he also seems like he could handle Rilian's desperation/madness quite well, too. He's a big name, but Rilian likely wouldn't be in the film very much, so perhaps the filmmakers could swing it. His involvement would definitely draw people to the theater, I would think.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 04, 2015 12:28 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:He's a big name, but Rilian likely wouldn't be in the film very much, so perhaps the filmmakers could swing it. His involvement would definitely draw people to the theater, I would think.

My thoughts exactly! Perhaps I will send him a letter and tell him to try for the part. I've heard he reads all of his fan mail. :D
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext