This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Doug Gresham Podcast (+ a few other bits)

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Doug Gresham Podcast (+ a few other bits)

Postby icarus » Dec 05, 2009 7:39 pm

The following all comes from a man called Ian Kath, who is working on Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a prop maker. He also works as an internet podcaster, and accordingly he managed to do an interview with Douglas Gresham whilst on set, which he put on his website a few weeks ago (he spelt "Dawn Treader" wrong on his site, so i didnt find it till i randomly decided to do a google search for the common misspelling of "Dawn Trader" ;))

Ian Kath wrote:As some of you may know I’ve recently been working for a short time on the latest in the The Chronicles of Narnia at the Warner Roadshow Studios on the Gold Coast. This next, Episode Three, is The Voyage of the Dawn Trader and as it was for the previous two episodes this one is being Executive Produced by Doug Gresham.

http://yourstorypodcast.com/2009/11/doug-gresham-c-s-lewis-narnia-chronicles/

There are a couple of very interesting quotes in there....

(transcripts from audio:)

Ian Kath:These movies, how well are they sticking to the originals, the books?
Douglas Gresham:Well, The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe was very close to the original book because the book was written in such a way that lent itself to being transcribed into the film medium. Prince Caspian we had to make some fairly major changes because the book isn't written that way. In this movie there are a lot of differences in it also to, as Hollywood says, "derive the plot". I'm ambivalent as to whether they're necessary or not, i don't really think so. But thats the way they wanted to do it, and it was either that or not make a movie, so i said "well go ahead and do it". It will be very interesting to see the audiences reactions

Douglas Gresham:But it is kind of interesting to see a set built in incredible beauty and detail. The sets built on this particular movie have been breathtakingly good to tell you. The crews here have been fabulous. We did a set, i'm going to try and tell this without giving too much away, we did a particular set which takes place in a kind of forest glade. It was built on a soundstage and it was absolutely perfect.
Ian Kath: I saw it
Douglas Gresham: You saw it?
Ian Kath: I saw it.
Douglas Gresham: You saw the Banquet?
Ian kath: No no, i missed the banquet, i saw it the day after
Douglas Gresham: It was just unreal. It was so unreal as to be unreal in the metaphoric sense.

Douglas GreshamThe last movie was quite frankly not very well marketed. It was released at the wrong time and it was marketed badly. There were things that should of been done differently. That's my view anyway. I think we'd have done an awful lot better if we had released it at Christmas as i wanted to do in the first place. But anyway, the powers that be in the distributor house decided they wanted to do it their way and i guess they messed up. But that's my opinion

Ian Kath: Is the next one scripted yet?
Douglas GreshamOh no no. We havent got that far yet. We haven't even decided exactly which one we are going to do yet. There are several reasons why we would go with The Silver Chair, but then there are other reasons why we might go with something else. One of the reasons for Silver Chair, im voting for going with Silver Chair, one of the reasons is that we have found an absolutely fabulous young actor to play Eustace

Ian Kath: It's an amazing amount of work that we've put into this, and i just love what we've done, and if the story is as good as the work and the passion that we've put into it..
Douglas Gresham: I think the story in the book is better but its still a great story
Ian Kath:I don't know the story.
Douglas Gresham: You should read it, you should read all of the Narnian chronicles, but yeah i think its going to be a great movie. It's a fabulous movie.

Anyway, also as i mentioned, Ian Kath is a prop maker on Dawn Treader. On his twitter page he wrote:

Ian Kath wrote:Good to be back at work. Have to build a stack of furniture for some scenes on Narnia. 4:27 PM Sep 27th

http://twitter.com/iankath/status/4428706319

There are a couple of pictures on his associated TwitPics, which i would assume would be the furniture he's referring to...

http://twitpic.com/jw1ej
http://twitpic.com/jo7ir

Plus a picture of a fellow prop maker carving a skull, which may or may not be from VDT, but worth a look anyway....

http://twitpic.com/jw6ap
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Doug Gresham Podcast (+ a few other bits)

Postby Lady Galadriel » Dec 05, 2009 8:20 pm

icarus wrote: Douglas Gresham:Well, The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe was very close to the original book because the book was written in such a way that lent itself to being transcribed into the film medium. Prince Caspian we had to make some fairly major changes because the book isn't written that way. In this movie there are a lot of differences in it also to, as Hollywood says, "derive the plot". I'm ambivalent as to whether they're necessary or not, i don't really think so. But thats the way they wanted to do it, and it was either that or not make a movie, so i said "well go ahead and do it". It will be very interesting to see the audiences reactions

Oh dear. :-s It sounds like we may be in for some "fairly" major changes after all. :(( I understand the need to change some things for film adaptation, but if it goes on, there won't be any more movies. [-( I don't get it. :(
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 05, 2009 10:07 pm

'Derive the plot' doesn't make any sense but I understand what Gresham means. I don't think people should be upset at him for the changes (seems like he finds many of them unnecessary) but I hope something good comes of this. I have no problems with changing little things here and there but to change the main focus of the story is worrying and not necessary. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby daughter of the King » Dec 05, 2009 10:09 pm

In a word: NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Have you not learned Walden Media? (okay, that was more than one, but why oh why oh why must they insist on changing to such an extent? Elements such as Eustace's diary need adjustment, but the actual plot???) :((
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Steerforth » Dec 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Ha.

Throughout those quotes, there is a comical (but predictable) substituting of "we" for "they" (and vice versa) depending on the intended spin. I think this confirms what a lot of us have been thinking and saying for a long time. I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks, icarus.
"This is no thaw. This is Spring! Your winter has been destroyed. This... is Aslan's doing!"

SuntoryTimes
Steerforth
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ceppault » Dec 05, 2009 11:36 pm

"Very interesting," icarus, is probably just a bit understated.

I am not really surprised. It goes along with my feelings about Prince Caspian. *contemplates* We shall see, I suppose? :D
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Dec 06, 2009 12:44 am

I'm going to second what icarus said on the comment section of the front page story. Reading the transcript and actually hearing DG talk about the movie give you very different interpretations. Reading the transcript immediately incites panic (case in point with the above posts ;)) ) but if you actually listen to him on the podcast, he sounds very excited about the movie. \:D/
And OF COURSE the book is always better. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ForeverFan » Dec 06, 2009 7:19 am

Right now I'm not too concerned, I guess, since we don't really know what these changes are, but I must say that I'm glad that Mr. Gresham several times stated that the story in the book will be better & etc., and I suppose all around showed that if any of these changes turn out disastrous we can know he wasn't all for changing the focus/plotlines/etc.
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby icarus » Dec 06, 2009 7:33 am

I guess the main quote there regarding changes is still kind of depressing, if only for the fact that whilst he says the big changes in Prince Caspian were all necessary due to the book's structural problems, he is basically saying that the similar big changes on this film werent really as necessary in his opinion.

I think though what he means by "derive the plot" is similar to what Ben Barnes was talking about before - trying to find that "through-line" in the story to link all the individual "episodes" together. I personally therefore feel it is very necessary to "derive the plot" for that purpose, so im not particuarly worried about changes, especially if they are going to be on a par with the changes in Prince Caspian, which he kind of implies (i.e. all the scenes, themes, and elements are all present and correct, but they are just rejigged into a new structure and format for the purposes of creating a streamlined movie-friendly narrative)

But yeah, definitely listen to the podcast, the bare facts text of the transcript do take alot of the joy and excitement out of his voice when he is talking about the movie, and kind of make him sound really downbeat about the whole thing, when really that is not the case at all.

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to comment on the quote about the Woodland Glade set and his talk of the banquet! :D In the full podcast he talks either side of the section i picked out about the wonders of filming scenes with characters who aren't actually there except for a tennis ball on a stick, such as Reepicheep. He mentions there is a character (who i would presume to be the Chief Dufflepud) who will be present at the banquet in the final movie but not actually visible on set in a similar manner to Reepicheep (he couldn't actually remember if Reepicheep was also present during the banquet scene). Either way, very cool they are even having that scene!

Not sure what he meant by the Woodland Glade-like set. Was thinking he perhaps meant Coriakins Garden, since we know that was built on a soundstage, and also because he goes directly on to talk about the banquet after it, but i wouldnt really describe that set as being a "woodland glade" based on the spy photos we saw.

Also, a few extra Twitter pictures from Ian Kath, some of which may or may not be from Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The first one of which you should already recognise:

http://twitpic.com/koakz
http://twitpic.com/kbvpx
http://twitpic.com/esqxe
http://twitpic.com/enxvj
http://twitpic.com/clr33
http://brightkite.com/objects/e19ae9088 ... 3048c10834
http://brightkite.com/objects/6125826e8 ... 3048c0801e
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ceppault » Dec 06, 2009 8:56 am

Got up this morning. Had a lot of coffee. Worked on a report. Downloaded the interview to iTunes. Dealt with a runny nose. Had some oatmeal. Listened to the interview.

I think folks need to listen to the interview before making a solid decision about what was said. Very pleasant! The quotes were not at all cringe-worthy when I listened to them.

It supports my feelings about the movie adaptations. I like the movies apart from the books.

Woodland glade? My first thought was the return of Eustace to human form by Aslan. A woodland glade, a pool, and a magical place? Hmm. There are any number of things this could be. Deathwater Island it is not.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Dec 06, 2009 10:27 am

Woodland glade with a banquet sounds like Ramandu's Island to me.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby icarus » Dec 06, 2009 10:48 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:Woodland glade with a banquet sounds like Ramandu's Island to me.

Ohhh.... That Banquet. :) That completely slipped my mind. I was thinking of the one at Coriakin's House in the Dining Hall with the invisible Dufflepuds and such, but i guess the uneaten banquet at Ramandu's table would make sense in the context of a forest glade. Though who do you think the not-on-set added-in-later character could be if it were there? Intriguing possibilities. Especially as it would throw a different light on his quote about not knowing whether or not Reepicheep was in that scene or not.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Edmund P » Dec 06, 2009 11:16 am

H'm. Well, this doesn't alarm me too terribly much. I will remain more optimistic than pessimistic until I know exactly what they're changing. As long as it's nothing huge, I'll be fine. But if they're changing the entire plot, then shall I be enraged.

I'll have to download the podcast soon and listen to it. I'd like to hear how Doug sounds when he is talking about the production and such.

THE BANQUET: Sounds interesting. Woodland glade? I hope that it doesn't come across as being too much like Lothlorien :-s . When I read 'banquet' and 'woods' I immediately thought of Ramandu's Island. It would seem logical, would it not? Or perhaps this is an added scene? Or Coriakin's Island? I am anxious to find out :-w

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, let the changes be minor!
I met Georgie and Skandar AND saw the film in one evening.
Edmund P
NarniaWeb Guru
The Parallel Welcomer

Postby fantasia » Dec 06, 2009 12:14 pm

icarus wrote:Though who do you think the not-on-set added-in-later character could be if it were there?

"They were birds, large and white, and they came hundreds and thousands and alighted on everything; the grass, and the pavement, on the table, on your shoulders, your hands, and your head, till it looked as heavy snow had fallen. For, like snow, they not only make everything white but blurred and blunted all shapes. But Lucy, looking out from between the wings of the birds that covered her, saw one bird fly to the Old Man with something in its beak that looked like a little fruit, unless it was a little live coal, which it might have been, for it was too bright to look at. And the bird laid it in the Old Man's mouth."

?

I'd wager a guess that rather than CGI in hundreds of birds, they may go with just one... the one that gives Ramandu the fire-berry of the sun. So there's my guess. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Aravis Tarkheena » Dec 06, 2009 3:06 pm

I also thought the Banquet referred to Ramandu's Island (but then again, I had totally forgotten about the Dufflepud banquet :ymblushing: ). I was also always under the impression the Dufflepuds served dinner inside, and Woodland glade automatically makes me think "outdoors," which is where the Ramandu's Island Banquet was.

About the CGI thing: Do you think they really meant entirely CGI characters? Probably they do, but I can't think of any other than Reep. However, since they have mythological beings, do you suppose they meant those? As in, later on they would CGI in the faun's legs, etc. I think f_k is most likely right though. (But assuming she is, do you think they would expand the role of that bird?)
Looking further up and further in

avvie by me
Aravis Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby tenthofthatname » Dec 06, 2009 3:58 pm

I desperately want to hear this podcast but seem to have no idea how to get it to play right. I see it playing in that the time lapse is moving properly...but I don't hear a thing. Help?
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Next