This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Harry Potter!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Harry Potter!!!

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Dec 04, 2009 10:59 am

Nice pics decarus. :) Xenophilius Lovegood looks..... interesting. ;)) Did anyone see the new Deathly Hallows sneak peek video that Mugglenet just leaked online??? :D :ymapplause:

I suggest you see it!! Best 56 seconds of my LIFE!! I can't wait for the HBP dvd that I ordered now! Once our dvd arrives we'll be able to see a clearer version! :-o
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Tirian12 » Dec 04, 2009 3:27 pm

OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH :-o those pics are freaking insane!!!! i love how they all look so haggered, Harry's hair is a mess, they all look like they haven't washed in days, Ron's hair is as long as it was back in GoF. and Xenophilius!!!! he is PERFECT!!!!!!
*T12 posts this squeeming (is that the right word? anyway im really freaking excited) like crazy
Image avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Tirian12 wrote:haha! thanks decarus, its just a very big problem, i find it very sad that many people won't read such fantastic books because it is supposed to be evil. please don't get me started one Twilight.
the kid i was talking about was about 11. and yes Trelawney is a fraud and i think Rowling is actually making fun of the actual spirit world through her.

Yes, an 11 year old child is of Secondary School age, as I thought. Old enough to go to Hogwarts, a boarding school. Thank you, decarus, for your lovely photos, and I fear the Twilight reference was my fault, as I wanted to draw attention to the way relationships are treated in HBP.

What is wrong with Trelawney's prophecies is that she either does not realise she has made them, or that the prophecy, like the one about Wormtail, is a foregone conclusion, with events already unfolding so fast that even access to a time turner can't change them. Of course a servant of the Dark Lord, who is a prisoner, will break loose when and if he can, and the night of Buckbeak's execution would be a good time.

Or, at best, Trelawney's predictions only give part of the story. All too often, as with Lavender's bunny, when events do happen, that appear to be linked, people, having heard the prophecy, then try to make it fit what they already know has happened, just as Hermione pointed out, not unlike the media does with Nostradamus' prophecies every time there is a major disaster. And it is Trelawney's superstitious dealings with death omens like the Grim that get the most ridicule.

As Gandalf's Beard so rightly points out, you don't have to be a seer to realise that a nervously clumsy butterfingers of a 13 year old boy will be the first to drop a cup and break it. And when Harry Potter, a mortal like everyone else, has been the subject of gossip for years, Trelawney's interest in making continual predictions about his forthcoming death might not be such a good demonstration of her prophetic skills as she likes to think. However, Trelawney's 'inner eye' is not so perceptive of the true nature of the 'Grim' she keeps seeing in POA, nor does she or anyone else knows what animals the Marauders had made of themselves, nor does she know the true identity of 'the servant of the Dark Lord'.

Dumbledore, in whose presence, Trelawney made the first and most crucial prophecy, makes the point repeatedly that it is our choices which make us what we are, that the prophecy would not have meant anything if it had not been partly overheard, and if the spy had not then gone to Voldemort. It was Voldemort's choice to believe the prophecy, or the half of it he heard, and act on it so murderously, which ensured the prophecy would indeed come true. Because he knows that Voldemort is hunting him down to destroy him, Harry does not need predictions in crystal balls, tealeaves and the rest to know that he is in deadly danger, or that he has no other option than to oppose Voldemort any way he can.

In other words, JK Rowling is reaffirming in HP what Galadriel says to Frodo in Lothlorien about what he sees happening in her mirror: Those prophecies may come true only if you turn aside to prevent them.

I'm not surprised that Harry and Ron both fail Divination. But why do the likes of Lavender and Parvati pass this subject well?

johobbit wrote:Kind of random: did anyone else think Ginny's character in HBP was ... flat, one-dimensional? I liked Bonnie Wright in the other films (especially the one where Harry saves her from Voldemort—the Tom Riddle's diary film), but in HBP she was so monotone and blank, or something. Nothing to her. That disappointed me.

Do I really need spoilers on my reply to say that a lot of the romantic interaction in HBP the book was left out of the film? Not just Bob Ogden's memory of how Voldemort's parents got together, and the discussion of what was wrong with that relationship? And that as Ginny was a prime player in many of those events, as Harry became more and more aware of how he felt about her, it might have made her seem a bit flat as a film character.

As HBP the book opened, Ginny was romancing Dean Thomas, Harry's classmate, who was to fill in for the stricken Katie Bell on the Quidditch Team, which Harry was captaining. Although there was a hint of it in the film when Ginny helped Harry at tryouts, it was Ginny's deputising for Harry in the last match, not mentioned in the film, which finally brought them together, after the Dean Thomas affair had fizzled out.

Ginny's opinions about Fleur were also part of the problem when Mrs Weasley aired her valid concerns about the viability of Fleur's and Bill's forthcoming marriage, almost a key part of the book. Was Fleur the bridezilla Ginny made her out to be? Or was Fleur really the wife Mrs Weasley would love her Bill to have? I thought it was a real shame that Fleur, with her defiantly loving comments in the Hospital wing weren't to be part of the film, or Ginny's and Mrs Weasley's final acceptance of Fleur.

What about the Tonks/Remus Lupin romance, the nature of which Ginny misunderstood so spectacularly? Or the bickering between Ron and Ginny, over Ginny's right to romance whom she pleased, which brought to a head Ron's very shallow relationship with Lavender? Or the scents in Slughorn's love potion which made Harry first realise how he felt about Ginny?

On the other hand, over all the films, Bonny Wright's character, Ginny, doesn't get much space as more than a supporting extra, except in COS, where she is affected by Tom Riddle's diary and taken down into the Chamber of Secrets. In POA she barely appears at all, and in GOF, she is merely Neville Longbottom's date to the Yule Ball, and Ron's comforter when he tries to ask Fleur to the Yule Ball. In OotP, Ginny does play a larger part, as part of the DA, along with Neville and Luna. But at that point it is Cho who is Harry's love interest, and in the book OotP, it is Hermione who had advised Ginny to meet other blokes instead of moping after Harry, who hadn't noticed her at all.

Maybe it is hard to bring to prominence Ginny's true importance to the series in the HBP film? How will she be portrayed in DH, the film? I think it is a hard role for Bonnie Wright to play, by the way.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Part of the problem with being able to explore all the relationships adequately in the films, is that 2 1/2 hrs just isn't enough to cover 800 page books (I wish they had all been split into two 3 hour films ;) ). As far as Ginny is concerned, I don't think her blossoming relationship with Harry was given enough space in the book either though. So it wasn't too surprising that was given even less space in the film. The budding romance was sacrificed somewhat, but Ginny over-all got more screen-time than usual.

EDIT: I guess that didn't really need a spoiler 8-| .

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 04, 2009 5:59 pm

I don't think Book 7 will make any or much sense without first reading Books 4, 5 and 6. Also, I'm not sure the first three books would've needed to be any longer (they are fairly short). But the last four books would've benefited from being split into two movies.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Yeah, I only really meant the long books W4J ;) .

GB(%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Oh, I enjoyed the character of Ginny in the books but her character was only interesting in the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie. In all the others, especially 6, she is just a bit bland and majorly under-developed (I dig her red hair though). ;)
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I don't think Ginny's character was necessarily underdeveloped per se, rather I felt that in HBP her relationship with Harry was underdeveloped. It didn't really start seeming "real" to me until the beginning of DH.

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby georgiefan1 » Dec 04, 2009 6:37 pm

wow! alot of talk up in here!!

I love hearing everyones view om HP7 and I really think the movies will be great and worth waiting for!

I do wish I had enough of a attention span to read everyone's "essays" ;) lol

great pics the scenes looks awesome!!
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Sorry, georgiefan1, I'll try to keep my posts shorter. :ymblushing:

Gandalfs Beard wrote:I don't think Ginny's character was necessarily underdeveloped per se, rather I felt that in HBP her relationship with Harry was underdeveloped. It didn't really start seeming "real" to me until the beginning of DH.
GB (%)

Would that be mainly because the whole series is from Harry's point of view? Ginny is just a kid seeing her elder brothers off to Hogwarts and getting all agog at seeing the famous Harry Potter in the first book. In the second book, she is shy of Harry and clumsy as Neville whenever they meet, and when she stands up for Harry in Flourish and Blotts, she is immediately targeted by Lucius Malfoy who dumps Tom Riddle's Diary onto her. In POA, Big Brother Ron excludes Ginny from their little group, although both Ginny and Neville come back when the dementors arrive.

And that is the way it continues right up until Ootp, when Ginny finally reminds Harry (in the book - was it in the movie? I don't remember) about her experiences with Tom Riddle's diary, and what light it sheds on that dream Harry has of Nagini and Mr Weasley. Whilst Harry is wrapped up with his attraction to Cho, and dealing with his friendship with Ron and Hermione, over 3 books, Ginny goes with the much despised Neville to the Yule Ball, then dates first Anthony Corner then Dean Thomas. If Ron and Hermione had not been made prefects in OotP, Harry would not have shared a railway compartment with Neville and Luna, at Ginny's invitation. And if it wasn't for Ron, Fred and George huffing and puffing about Ginny's love life, Harry wouldn't have even noticed that Ginny was 'interesting'.

Even in HBP, right up to Ron's love potion incident, Ginny is still engrossed with Dean Thomas, and it is Harry's new attraction to someone who had been under his nose all along, plus his angst over what Ron would think about it that dominates his thoughts. Meanwhile, Ron is demonstrating with Lavender exactly why his brotherly opinions about how his sister behaves should never have been an issue. And any worthwhile debate over all these relationships and what is wrong or right with them has been blindsided somewhat by disgruntled Harry/Hermione shippers. No wonder it seems like the Harry/Ginny relationship came out of nowhere.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 05, 2009 1:57 am

Wagga:
Would that be mainly because the whole series is from Harry's point of view?

I agree that's a part of it, though her character definitely develops and Ginny actually gets adequate attention in the books as they go on. I just feel that the growing relationship between her and Harry was edited for brevity more than necessary in the HBP book (probably the publishers fault trying to reign in Rowling after OotP 8-| ).

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Well maybe....But even when Ginny and Harry did get together, it was little more than a delightful blur to Harry, barely able to believe his luck. These nice cosy get-togethers with Ginny seemed all the sweeter when they were inconveniently interrupted by ever-lengthening Saturday detentions Snape penalised Harry with over the Sectumsempra incident, and Ginny's need to study for that year's OWLS. And then JKR has Harry doing a rather pointless Peter Parker at the end of the book.

Compared with the long slow development of Ron's and Hermione's relationship, the Harry/Ginny affair does seem rather unreal.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Tirian12 » Dec 05, 2009 3:23 pm

haha! no the long posts are my fault. i'm the one who posted my actual 1547 word essay a couple of pages back. Ginny didn't say like anything in CoS movie. Harry/Ginny works for me because JKR put it in, i really don't like fanfics that do Harry/Hermione or Draco/Hermione or Draco/Ginny...i appreciate people writing fanfic but i don't like people disregarding what JKR says in the books; i didn't like the epilogue all that much, but i respect it, JKR closed up the loop, Harry marries Ginny Ron marries Hermione, outside of that couples not mentioned or not sewn-up i don't care about. and yes, Ginny is very often 2D in the movies, she is next to an extra. i don't think that will be the case in DH though, i think we will see her in a lot of fighting scenes @ Hogwarts.

and Johobbit you REALLY need to read 4,5,6 before you read 7. that is cheating, reading the end before you read the middle, it's like reading the last chapter of a book, and then reading the rest, you MUST read 4,5,6 first.
*T12 gets of ranting, high horse*
Image avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 05, 2009 5:03 pm

I used to be a Harry/Hermione hoper, then when Luna came along I actually thought Harry/Luna would be cool. Still, it's kind of obvious in retrospect that Ginny would eventually be the one.

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby georgiefan1 » Dec 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Harry Potter 7 trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/3053

awesome! I almost had a heart attack!!
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Squeeeeeeee!!!! 8-} ^:)^ :-bd :o3 B-) ;;) :ymparty: :ymapplause:

Now all I need is the VotDT trailer, and the Hobbit trailer :D .

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext