This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Fabulous Fashion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Fabulous Fashion

Postby MeadowMaid » Jan 09, 2014 10:23 pm

is this somewhat similair to what you want?

http://nabilabutique.com/save-price-cyn ... 00cpyrgs8/

ILF, thanks! Yes, something similar to the dress you posted would work. I love the swishy-ness factor to it! :)

avy & sig made by Valia. Thanks sis! :)
MeadowMaid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 14, 2014 12:33 pm

Is anyone on here familiar with eShakti? It's a clothing company that offers base designs and then allows you to choose the garment's length, sleeve and neckline style, depending on the item. As a sleeve-lover who frequently has to write-off dresses because they're too short, the idea really appeals to me! You can also enter in your exact measurements for a custom fit.

A lot of the apparel you see is reminiscent of ModCloth and Shabby Apple, which is a big plus for me as I've long admired the style of those clothing companies. I have no idea what the quality of eShakti's finished product is, but it's something I'd really love to try sometime.

Some of my favorites from the website—

This one looks so classy, I don't think I'd change anything about it—which is good, because they don't offer any style options for that one. ;))

This is a really cute, summery dress. I wish they had puff sleeves as an option, but short sleeves would be really cute, too.

I love this sunny, button-up dress, especially if it were a little longer in the skirt and cut straight across the hem. A boat neck collar would be pretty, too!

This soft pink crepe looks perfect for early spring. I'd love to see what three-quarter sleeves and a longer skirt would look like on it.

The style of this chambray dress is charming, and would look very pretty with a mid-calf length skirt as well as the style shown.

I think this red dress is my favorite—it has a lovely 30's vibe to it, and I think it would look great with a very long skirt and long sleeves. Would love to see that design in other colors, too—especially pastels.

Okay, stopping now, but I'm afraid that's just the tip of the iceberg. ;))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 14, 2014 4:32 pm

I haven't tried them myself, Rose, but I can point you to a blog post reviewing their product with other stories in the comments...

In short, as long as you pick your fabric carefully, and your measurements aren't too far off RTW, you'll probably have a really cute dress.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 14, 2014 6:38 pm

I am taking a look at the website now, it looks good. I hate it when you get a nice dress and it is either too short and unwearable or too long for the style it looks daggy.

It is summer in Australia and I thought I would add some stuff to my summer clothes cudboard. I recently purchased the following:

IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 06, 2014 9:17 pm

I can't remember if I've linked to Ruche before or not, but this thread has been comatose for so long, I'm going to just share some goodies regardless. :P They have so many adorable things and romantic styles.

This would be a wonderful dress for fall and winter, especially paired with boots and leggings or tights.

Love this feminine update on a casual sweatshirt style!

I'm not sure about the color or the fabric, but I *love* the design of this dress.

I think this blouse is just to-die-for; the color and details are so beautiful.

Also, here's a question to potentially stir up some fashion discussion: do any of you guys have a favorite style of wedding dress?

Personally, I love sleeves. I think strapless dresses can be pretty, but I think they can also end up looking a little bit boring sometimes. And there are so many sleeve designs to choose from to add wonderful flair to a dress! I especially love off-the-shoulder designs; they're really beautiful.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 06, 2014 10:31 pm

I am limited to tight fitted or non-flare dresses due to the usually Perth wind.Any light dress will just fly up with the wind.

I love that greeny-blue colour.It is an evening dress or could be used for a prom/ball.

I have an obsession with military style jackets and in a few weeks the weather will be cool enough for me to get away with wearing them.

I currently have 2 and likely won't get anymore endless the other two look over-worn or something.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Oh yikes... windy days plus fluttery dresses can make for some alarming situations indeed. :-s ;))

Military-style jackets are pretty cool! Have you considered pairing them with any military-inspired hats?

Speaking of that lovely dress with the scalloped neckline: Queen of Heartz is the clothing company that makes it, and they have so many gorgeous retro styles available. Sadly, they're pretty pricey, but very fun to browse!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 08, 2014 6:03 am

No I haven't tried any hats but I will look into it. I have a trilby that I wear in the summer. They are the only times of hats that I found that suit me but I haven't really tied that many hats. Alo I have longer hair now so some hats may look better for someone with longer hair.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 17, 2014 11:01 pm

This thread has been quiet for three whole months! Methinks it could use some links from Shabby Apple. ;))

1. This is so cute and perfect for summer.
2. I love the pleats and the bows on the sleeves.
3. This design is so adorable; I love the eyelet lace and the drop waist skirt.
4. Hooray for interesting sleeves on sale!
5. Love the stripes and the colors and the little cap sleeves.

One of these days I'm going to own one of their dresses, or figure out how to make them myself, or something. :P ;))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 18, 2014 8:36 am

That first dress you posted is hands-down my favorite. It reminds me of this dress which comes with the pattern number if one is so inclined to track it down. I'm sure there's a closer pattern, though... there's some seaming going on in the Shabby Apple bodice (didn't they once have a zoom option?) that I can't quite see...and the sleeves aren't a perfect match. (And, while I'm at it, you'd have to swap out the skirt for an A-line, but that's comparatively easy.)

The other dress I saw that made my heart sing when I clicked over to Shabby Apple was the Saffron. Oh, the stripes! The swishy skirt! *tumbles down a rabbit hole of stripes* See also the Henna skirt.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am

I've been meaning to post in here, but kept forgetting about it.

I recently bought four dresses from modcloth.com

This dress http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/be-outside-dress-in-delft is really comfortable on a hot day, but the armholes are a bit too small and it's no longer available.

This one http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/an-afternoon-with-you-dress-in-blue is really soft, and easy to dress up or down. I got it in blue and gray.

The blue on this dress http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/day-after-day-dress-in-dusk-dots is brighter in person than in the picture, and it's a perfect shade of blue. It also comes in four other shades.

This one http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/feeling-storm-and-cozy-dress is my absolute favorite. The pattern, the fit, the fabric are all perfect. And the skirt flares out! Yes, I did twirl a lot when I put it on. ;))

I also bought this shirt http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f06d/ because it was on sale last week and I just couldn't resist. :p Fortunately, it is a much darker shade of blue, although it really should be black because that's what the Guards of the Citadel wore. :-B
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Ooh, that Lilacs and Lace dress is so lovely, Mel! In a way, it's a little bit like a cross between the #1 and the #3 dress... love it. I think I'd be tempted to make it with both the original skirt and an A-line version. It's so pretty! That Henna skirt is lovely, too... such a beautiful twirl!

I love your taste in fashion, dotK! I really like the pattern and colors on the first dress, and the second one looks so comfortable and versatile! I've been admiring that Day After Day dress design for a while, and love how they come in different prints and colors. The cloud pattern and soft colors on the fourth dress are so lovely—I can see why it's your favorite! Yay for twirly skirts. ;))

Some links for ModCloth dresses that I've been admiring today...

This is just too cute.
I really like the color and the pockets!
An adorable, simple design.
I love the beading on this and the unique hemline!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Jul 18, 2014 2:40 pm

A lot of those dresses at modcloth have really classic lines; simple but elegant. I rarely buy stuff, as it's hard to find anything that's long enough to suit me, and as for sleeves....Well, it's better not to mention that.

Lovely ideas for future projects, though--and then the row of similar dresses at the bottom--what a wealth of patterns and colours, a feast for the eyes.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Very nice, dot! It's easiest for me to picture you in the second dress; but they're all lovely. :)

*adds the LotR tee to her wishlist*

I just picked up a couple of skirts at the thrift store last week that I adore. Too bad it'll be almost impossible to track down pictures of them. One's a swishy blue floral that looks stunning paired with a light gray short sleeve suit-style jacket. And the other is an A-line with an asymetrical hem and a zebra stripe print in shades of brown.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 18, 2014 6:47 pm

It is har for me to find nice stuff in thrift shops that are not jackets. Since the average size is 14(not sure the equivalent us size fore sure but i think it is 10) and I am a size 8(i think that is a us 4). So if you are size 14 you have the biggest choice. I have however found a nice jacket, i bought a size 10, the sleeves are a little long but they look better rolled up anyway.

Anyway I hate how the average store only sells those really long jumpers(I do not like this style myself) or those crop jumpers. I do not own any high-waisted jeans(finding anything high waisted to fit me is near impossible).

Dotk- I love modcloth and I do like the first dress. Though modcloth is expensive and I only buy items on sale.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 18, 2014 7:15 pm

I know what you mean about length and sleeves, aileth... it's hard to find nice styles with both! I did run across this comfy looking 3/4-sleeved dress on Lands' End recently; I think it's pretty and I love the pink color.

That swishy blue floral skirt sounds so pretty, Mel! Sounds like you had some good luck at the thrift stores! Maybe you can post some pictures sometime. :)

IloveFauns wrote:Anyway I hate how the average store only sells those really long jumpers(I do not like this style myself) or those crop jumpers. I do not own any high-waisted jeans(finding anything high waisted to fit me is near impossible).

Have you tried looking at the pants section over at ModCloth? Like you said, they're pricey, but you can sometimes catch them on sale. This is a pair of (out of stock) high-waisted paints, and here's a pair of high-waisted jeans, for instance.

(In other news, these culottes are so cute.)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

PreviousNext