This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Kids will be Kids

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Kids will be Kids

Postby fantasia » May 26, 2014 12:48 pm

IloveFauns wrote:Oh that is nice Fantasia. Is it your second?
Yep, second kiddo. :)

Were/are any of you the middle child?

No, I am the eldest of three. Hence, the reason I'm so bossy. :P ;)) For those who remember Aravanna, she is the youngest. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » May 27, 2014 2:21 am

Ha in that case being the middle accounts for me being on the fence?. I have always thought of myself as the family peace keeper.(I am the least likely family member to be involved in a fit with another). I always try and steer the conversation away from subjects which we disagree on(Ie. how terrible Tony Abbott) and awkward conversations(I am the biggest avoider of awkward conversations/conflict with in family situations, and to be honest daily life).

So being the middle child isn't to bad for the following reasons
1. Tend to get away with more since they don't pay as much attention to what you are doing.
2. Don't have to be the follower of the leader.
3. Don't have to set any example for younger siblings(to an extent).
4. Parents aren't as restrictive. For the oldest they are not sure at what age to let there kid do certain stuff by the middle child they have worked that out and by the youngest they don't want to let them grow up.

Bad things
1. Your achievements tend to be overlooked. Though this isn't so bad. I don't crave much attention.
2. You are not counted as the younger or older group often and left in a group of your own.
3. Some relatives always forget which one you are.
4. The feeling of being left out(My family were not the richest growing up so we had to take turns). e.g "Wayne(My dad) take the youngest two to this place..... and next week the oldest two to this place......."
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jul 01, 2014 5:54 pm

IlF wrote:Ha in that case being the middle accounts for me being on the fence?.
;)) I don't know about that. I think it's just personality traits. In my husband's family, the middle son was the most combative (he's in his 40s so he's settled quite a bit from his teenage years ;) ), the eldest is the most passive and calm, and my husband (youngest) is probably in the middle personality-wise. ;))

In other news, we've been shopping around for a bed for Evan. At first we were gonna get him a twin bed, but I think we may move our futon upstairs and get a new non-nasty mattress for him instead. That'll free up the crib for baby girl when she comes along. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 01, 2014 7:12 pm

How long until she comes?. Do you plan to have more children after her?

I would say. My older brother, and sister do have some anger issues. Especially my sister. It doesn't take much to make her annoyed. Sometimes you can't even finish what you were going to say.

My younger sister and brother are very sulky. Especially my younger sister. I guess it is more of an early teen thing but she has always been sulky tbh.

I don't tend to have fits of rage or get upset easy. If I do I try to hide it best I can.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Jul 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Just popping in to say I always enjoy reading the posts in this topic. Fun stories, cool things and kid stuff.

When I was packing up our house for moving, I found a slip of paper on which I had written a cute bit from our youngest. Years ago, when he was learning to talk, he had trouble saying "upside down", so coined it "sibey down" for quite a while. The reason he even had to say this was because he loved when my husband or I held him 'sibey down' by his feet. ;)) (And no, he didn't turn out to be a gymnast ... rather, an accountant, lol.)
johobbit

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Haha an accountant and gymnast are o opposite ends of the career line. I was going to be an account because I was good at math but than I realised that science was much more interesting(personality).

About saying things wrong as a child. I use to have trouble with the ish sound(such as fish and dish). I would say ish without saying the f or the d. I ing soon got them all but I just couldn't do the f for sometime. I remember thinkg that I was saying it properly and those adults were just being pains.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jul 09, 2014 7:03 pm

The only word I remember having great difficulty saying as a child was 'yellow'. That 'y' sound was just so hard! Whenever I tried it came out 'lellow'. :P

My sister Ara has a funnier one though. She would always ask my mom for 'meat and potten' and of course my mom had NO CLUE what on earth that was. One day they were at the grocery store and walked by the ice cream section and my sister started yelling 'meat and potten MEAT AND POTTEN!' and my mom finally figured out that she was asking for 'Neapolitan ice cream.' :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby aileth » Jul 09, 2014 7:05 pm

IloveFauns wrote:I remember thinking that I was saying it properly and those adults were just being pains.

Yeah, we have a friend who was like that. She couldn't pronouce her initial 's'
sounds, particularly in consonant blends.

One day she saw a snake, and very excitedly came to tell us about it.
"I 'aw a 'nake," she said.
"A what?"
"A 'nake!"
"Oh, I see--a 'nake."
"No, a 'nake, a 'nake."
She could hear that we weren't saying it correctly.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Yeah when they told me what I had said I could tell they were not saying it correctly.

@Fantasia I use to think that ice cream as called Napoleon icecream as a kid, and assumed it was named after him for some reason.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 19, 2014 11:55 am

I'm sitting here minding my own business when my little sister comes in. (She's seven.)

Little Sis: Are you sweating?
Mel: No, not really.
Little Sis: Well, you need some electrolytes anyway. Goodbye.

...and then she went off and poured me a glass of milk. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Jul 19, 2014 5:43 pm

aileth wrote:
IloveFauns wrote:I remember thinking that I was saying it properly and those adults were just being pains.

Yeah, we have a friend who was like that. She couldn't pronouce her initial 's'
sounds, particularly in consonant blends.

One day she saw a snake, and very excitedly came to tell us about it.
"I 'aw a 'nake," she said.
"A what?"
"A 'nake!"
"Oh, I see--a 'nake."
"No, a 'nake, a 'nake."
She could hear that we weren't saying it correctly.

;)) Talking to my older brother* is like that. He also has a hard time with "f"s and "v"s--they usually sound more like "p"s and "b"s, so instead of calling the movie "Frozen", he calls it "the movie with the ice!" :P
(*Yes, I said older--he's not young, but he has Trisomy-21/Down Syndrome, and he also had hearing problems when he was young. So, his speech is still sometimes difficult to understand.)

I was babysitting my nephew this weekend, and boy is he active these days! ;)) He's 20 months now, and while he hasn't started talking, he sure is babbling. :) He discovered two new "games"--first of all, he found out that, if he drives his big Tonka truck around the house shouting until he runs into something, it will make me start laughing hysterically. ;)) The other thing is that, one time, I started "creeping up" on him on my hands and knees--the plan was to get him from behind and tickle him. He noticed me, though, and decided to "push" me over instead. It gave him such a kick when I fell over, we ended up doing that all day. :P :)

My nephew loves anything with wheels, so any time he comes over, all of the trucks--including the Duplo ones--come out of their boxes and off the shelves. :P But, he's also learned how to put toys away, so sometimes he'll help you clean up after playtime is done. :D Sometimes. ;) In reality, he just does it whenever he feels like it, and sometimes that coincides with playtime being done. ;)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby stargazer » Jul 19, 2014 8:46 pm

We had a rather amusing incident a couple of weeks ago. I, along with quite a few other family members, gathered for my mother's 85th birthday. Along with several other events, one thing we did was attend church with her.

In a Catholic Mass the priest mixes some water and wine. At that point my great-nephew (my niece's son), who is 4, turned to my older sister (his grandmother) and asked, "Is he making a potion?" ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby wild rose » Jul 24, 2014 11:06 am

I was recently visting my friends and they have a three year old boy and his dad was playing a game with him, he would write a word then the kid would have to read it and explain what it meant. At one point the dad wrote "squirrel" and the boy said "that's when it sits in a tree" a few word later the dad wrote "tree" and this was the definition: "that's when it's just like that, without the squirrel." ;))
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby fantasia » Oct 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Just dropping by to say in 6 days (or less) I get to meet my daughter. :D I think I'm in shock, but otherwise very excited. :D I'm being induced on Monday if she doesn't decide to show up sooner.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Oct 07, 2014 5:41 pm

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! :D :D :ymhug: :ymhug: We're excited for you too, fantasia and family!
johobbit

Postby wild rose » Oct 23, 2014 9:20 am

This is a story of what happened to the Garden of Eden after Adam and Eve wer driven out. As told by my niece
Ahe was out for a walk with my mom and turned to her saying.

"Nana, once there was a beautiful garden that God created, it was beautiful and God put two peole in it, you know, Adam and Eve, but then they sinned, first Eve and then Adam and God had to drive them out of the garden and he closed the garden off from them. Then he had to completely get rid of the garden so now all that is left of it is this park."

My mom was like "This is the Garden of Eden?"

And my niece replied, "yes, long ago this was the beautiful garden, but now it is only a park, though it is a nice park."

So that's right folks, the park by our house is what is left of the Garden of Eden....I think I should go write some Bible Historians an say they got it all wrong ;))

(and no one in our family knows where she got that idea from, but there is no convincing her otherwise ;)) )
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

PreviousNext