This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Harry Potter!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Harry Potter!!!

Postby ChristProclamer » Nov 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Just finished the books for the first time on friday. Loved them! Snape is also my favorite character, though I like Lupin and Neville and Percy too (not sure why I like Percy; I just do). My favorite book was probably GoF.
Tirian12: Do post your essay; I'd be interested to read it. Now that I've read the books I see the issues there, but I don't think that they are so very evil as a lot of people make them out to be.
Still looking forward to VoDT more, though, because I haven't seen the HP movies yet...
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Nov 29, 2009 9:42 pm

I LOVE Harry Potter!!! My favorite HP books have got to be a tie between book 5, 7, and 3 because I can't choose which one is best. :p

I already pre-orderded the HBP dvd ages ago and the whole family is anxiously waiting for it to come out and arrive to our house so we can watch the whole movie again but this time, with special features too! :D ;)

I am getting too excited now. Less than 12 months until Deathly Hallows part one comes out!! My family has already agreed that we're going to go see it in theaters, of course not on opening night though. :) We don't usually go watch movies in theaters that often so that's why i'm super happy that we get to see DH!!!! :ymapplause: :D

My favorite character is Hermione. :) I also like Ginny and Dobby a lot too. :)
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Nov 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Yes, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2 should be great movies. The book was amazing, in my opinion it was the best of the lot.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince had some great scenes but it was ultimately a disappointment. The emotional crux of the story was left out. Not good.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 29, 2009 11:57 pm

I'm sure they will be tremendous films, and I am looking forward to them. But even JK Rowling said that HBP felt like the first half of a two book series.

I'm disappointed they never showed where the Potions book was hidden. And I suspect a few alterations in the final movie.

In the film to come it may be Ginny, not the Grey Lady, who is key to finding and destroying the Diademcrux
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Tirian12 » Nov 30, 2009 10:00 am

where do you get that waggawerewolf27? how could that work?
Image avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lark » Nov 30, 2009 10:20 am

My sister actually got me hooked on Harry Potter. :ymblushing:
Awesome books! Snape is my favorite character,and then Fred Weasley. why did he have to die?!? :(( But Fred's death was pure genius when you look at it from an author's point of view.

The first DH movie comes out on my b-day,so it's pretty obvious what I'll be doing that day. ;)
Haven't seen HBP yet. :( I've read all the books except for OoTP (which I'm almost finished with) and HBP.

After reading SS, I felt horrible for jumping to conclusions about Snape, so I took his mostly took his side for the rest of the series
Lark
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Tirian12 » Nov 30, 2009 12:36 pm

glad you enjoy them Lark. i think they're best if read in order, but :ymblushing: i am guilty of reading OotP before GoF.
Image avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Tirian12 wrote:where do you get that waggawerewolf27? how could that work?

Remember that ever since Dobby was in the COS film, that he has been studiously left out of ensuing films. Kreacher also only made a token appearance in OotP. Whenever a house-elf was needed in the films it was Neville Longbottom who appeared instead, to give Harry the gillyweed, to find the Room of Requirement etc. In HBP the movie, Neville serves guests at Sluggy's Christmas party instead of house elves, and neither Dobby nor Kreacher make an appearance

Similarly the ghosts that were in the first two or three movies, don't seem to appear in the later movies. Unlike in the book HBP, the film Ginny actually takes Harry along with her to hide the book in the Room of Requirement where Draco had been fixing the Vanishing Cabinet. Remember that in the book HBP, Harry hides the potions book in a cupboard on which there is a stone bust which Harry crowned with the Diademcrux, and that in DH, Ginny is one of the last people out of the Room of Requirement before its transformation into the Room of Hidden things.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby decarus » Nov 30, 2009 1:40 pm

The diadem in DH.

I have read that there was a scene where draco sees the diadem in the script of HBP. I wonder if he will be involved in finding the diadem, but that would suggest that other people know about Voldemort's horcruxes while in the book they do not. I sort of wonder whether Bellatrix will mention the cup to the trio while they are being held at Malfoy Manor and she is trying to find out if they have been in her bank vault.

The change in introducing what the horcruxes may be in HBP is i think the biggest problem for Deathly Hallows.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Have you seen the movie yet? I agree that there was so much clutter in the Room of Requirement Draco seeing the Diademcrux in HBP is quite possible. But would he have recognised it for what it was? Harry certainly didn't.

In HBP the movie,
even Harry doesn't seem to know what the Horcruxes might be, though we definitely know there are seven of them. And I don't remember seeing such a scene. We are shown the two that are destroyed, and it is safe to assume the next step will be looking for the real locket. But we are not shown Hepzibah Smith, or that interview Dumbledore has with Tom Riddle, and the snake isn't mentioned at all.

I suppose it will be Ginny, rather than Harry, who goes to Ravenclaw common room with Luna.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby decarus » Nov 30, 2009 3:21 pm

I have seen the film more then once.

Like i said there was a scene in the HBP script with draco and the diadem. I don't think it was in the film though i look for the diadem every time they show the Room of Requirements. I am saying that the diadem is supposed to be in there and draco sees it or is looking at it in the script, so it may be possible that they thought about having Draco look for it in DH2. This would, of course, suggest the possibility that the death eaters knew about the horcruxes which is a departure from the book.

I agree though having Ginny go with Harry to find it might be the easiest thing to do.

Leaving the listing of the horcruxes in HBP out of the film is the biggest problem that they need to work out in DH.

The snake isn't mentioned in HBP, but when Harry touches the ring and does the neck twist like he is seeing in Voldemort's mind he sees a flash of the rocks, the cave, the drawing, Voldemort, and the snake. At least that is a small mention of the connection to the snake. They could just have Harry see that Dumbledore told Snape to kill the snake in Snape's memories.

Really the easiest way is to have Harry see into Voldemort's mind throughout the films. I am just not a big fan of that idea.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Fair enough, but that would be likely and it isn't new. In GOF Harry wakes up from a dream of Voldie in Tom Riddle's mansion. The snake is there, as is Wormtail. In OotP the snake is also there, attacking Mr Weasley, during Harry's dreams.

The snake dominates Godric's hollow in the next film, but we don't know if that will be shown. Where did Dumbledore tell Snape to kill the snake? In HBP, Dumbledore tells Harry that the snake is a horcrux, which should have been a hint that Harry is one also.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Tirian12 » Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

hmmmm. good points, i'll have to think about that
Image avie/sig by me
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby decarus » Nov 30, 2009 8:02 pm

I just dislike them using Harry seeing into Voldemort's mind as a crutch. In the book the trio sort of figure out where to look for the horcruxes. They sort of learn information as they go along that fits together and they eventually find one horcrux after the other. I think that is more interesting then having Harry just see into Voldemort's mind each time then need to figure out where to go.

The Godric's Hollow scene is all but confirmed. Daniel Radcliffe said in an interview that he was doing a scene where he was fighting of the snake, nagini, with a chair. The snake was being played by a guy holding a stick with a boxing glove on the end. The glove hit the chair accidentally in such a way that the chair hit Dan in the face and he fell over. As far as i am concerned this could only be the scene with the snake in Godric's Hollow though it seems as if Harry will not be polyjuiced which is all the better as far as i am concerned.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslans Country » Dec 01, 2009 3:02 am

Ahh.. my HBP DVD came a day early!! :D :D
Sorry for ignoring all the discussion.. but I just needed to share my hyperness with the world. :p
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Dec 01, 2009 11:14 am

I think they are going to make more of an effort to stick with the book for HBP as they have two films to put all the info into. Yates has said as much in interviews. And I think some of the missing info from HBP (such as more about the Horcruxes and Voldy) will be inserted in some way.

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext