This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Nov 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Meanwhile, up here we're closing in on winter. Our average high for today is 37F/3C but we're not going to get close to that for the next few days. Lows this weekend may reach 0F/-17C here in the Twin Cities, with lows reaching -5 to -10F/-20C to -23C in the northern part of the state.

Perfect weather for an afternoon fire outside. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Nov 22, 2013 12:36 pm

The fire sounds lovely, stargazer!

Today we are on the balmy side, sitting at 8C/46.4F, with rain, but a cold front is coming through tonight (although not as cold as the Twin Cities!), dropping to -4C/24.8F, with flurries tomorrow and some potential accumulation over Saturday night. However, that -4 is going to feel like -7C/19.4F.

But the area to which we are moving, an hour and a quarter away to the west, has a major snow squall watch. Luckies. ;)) It is in one of Ontario's snowbelts, often getting the strong lake effect bands off Lake Huron, so even though it's not far how the crow flies, its weather sure is more dramatic compared to down here below the escarpment. Can hardly wait to get there!
johobbit

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

johobbit wrote:
Today we are on the balmy side, sitting at 8C/46.4F, with rain,

Balmy is right, LOTS. :D ;) For a Canadian yes, but not for a Southern Californian.

We finally got some rain yesterday and today; only .50 inches for both days but it is cold out right now (relatively speaking) at 47.8F/8.8C.

Should be snow on the local mountains though. We'll see tomorrow. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm

We got some snow yesterday! It was pretty scattered, but a pretty white dusting is still covering the ground.

*hums "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." *

It's supposed to be below normal temperatures all week long, but I don't think we're due for any more snow :(
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby johobbit » Nov 27, 2013 10:08 am

The snow would be gorgeous on the mountains, Glimmie. Hope some came. :D

The day you received that snow, DiGs, we only had flurries with skiffles lying around. But last night, the snow came! Only an inch or two, but this morning I awoke at 5 to a winter wonderland. And then had the privilege of walking in that beauty a short time later. The silent stillness of the laden trees and bushes was magical. I expected to see a Faun with an armful of packages pop out from the trees. ;)) And it's supposed to stay well below freezing until Sunday, so, nice! Methinks this is the first time in a few years that we have received snow in November that has not melted within 24 hours. Very cool (literally). I am a happy hobbit. :D Although there are patches of ice around, so one has to be quite careful navigating.
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 27, 2013 10:22 am

Yes! We've been getting secondary lake effect snow all day long. It started yesterday afternoon, and has been snowing steadily ever since. Now it's more on-and-off, but we've got a good 2 inches on the ground.

So beautiful to see the snow clinging to the trees.

It is quite chilly though. Our wind chills are about 12 degrees :D
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Yep. Snows falling, and ice is melted under it. Can't think of a better reason to stay home.
After I finish going back out to shovel off everything that is. Thankfully it's only a couple inches, and the wind isn't blowing. Or it could already be a high of -1 F, like the weather channel is saying for Friday.
Anyone from a warmer climate have good news?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Dec 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Our weather is so confused. ;)) It has been warmer than average lately, with temperatures around 38F/3C. During my drive today, it actually rained, but soon mixed with, and then turned over to, those big snowflakes. By the time I arrived in the Twin Cities it was snowing heavily, but we ended up with little accumulation.

By this weekend, as Puddleglum noted, it will be colder than average, with lows around -15F/-26C and highs around -1F/-18C. Ahhh!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 03, 2013 3:36 am

I am very surprised at the lack of hot weather. It is usually hot by this time of year but the weather is actually very nice. If it were like this the whole summer I would be happy.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Dec 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Yesterday and today was just lovely. Highs in the mid-60Fs/17C. But the massive super cold front is about two hours away and then temperatures are going to plummet. High tomorrow: 36F/2C. High Thursday: 23F/-5C. *dies*
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Similar situation here, Watchful Admin. Starting tomorrow we are expecting rain and 30'sF/-1C for the lows. For us in California, that will be wet and cold. :-o
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby stargazer » Dec 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Meanwhile, the Weather Channel (based in sunny Atlanta) has sent one of its meteorologists to the shores of Lake Superior in Duluth, which has received some 10 inches (255mm) of snow today. Two Harbors, about half an hour northeast of Duluth, has received over 22 inches (560mm) of lake-effect snow today with more on the way.

Then the big chill will be on, with temperatures staying below 0F/-17C all weekend.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm

We had about six inches as of today. It looks like it's over, but we are still under a watch due to the high winds. the are talking wind chills below in the double digits tonight into the morning. Just right for waking me up in the morning on the way to work.
Watched channel 9 news tonight. They also had someone, obviosly not their senior reporter, in Duluth. Poor lady was not looking well. She was reporting 40mph winds off the lake. Anyone for surfing?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Puddleglum wrote:Anyone for surfing?

Yes, I'll just get out the old virtual surfboard, take it to Cronulla, Bondi Beach or some place where there is a decent surf to surf with, hang five and see how I get on in crowds and the traffic along the way. ;)) Up in Minnesota, I guess it would be a bit quieter and far less competition. On the other hand, there is also snow surfing, skiing, grass or water skiing, skating, tobogganing and much else up your way to look forward to, isn't there? Down under we are zany enough to have boat races in the middle of the desert. =))

Down under we've had some really hot days but it goes in waves. At the moment it is mild with the threat of thunderstorms that peter out with a whimper rather than a decent size bang or three.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi, nice to meet you. :)

SarahHighland wrote:The really hot days in southern mainland Australia are usually in January and February. That's when children and the elderly are most at risk from the high temperatures, and we have the worst bushfires.

I don't know which part of Oz or NZ you come from, but we in Sydney have been getting bushfires and high temperatures this year as early as October, which you might have heard of. It's early days in summer yet, and I am dreading what January and February might bring.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Dec 05, 2013 12:10 am

It's interesting to read of hot summer days when the wind is howling outside, driving today's 7 inches of fresh powder with windchills already below 0F. I dug out my car earlier today but it looks like I'll need to brush it off again in the morning.

The Weather Channel had one of its correspondents up in Duluth, which got around 27 inches (685mm) of snow, with big waves off Superior and wind blowing the snow sideways. Temps in Duluth this weekend are expected to fall to at least -20F/29C.

The big winners appear to be towns farther up the North Shore, with several reporting snowfall in excess of 40 inches (1015mm). The ski areas love it!
stargazer

PreviousNext