This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Melted Crayon Art

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Melted Crayon Art

Postby emeraldcityofoz » Nov 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to share something I made this weekend. I've attempted melted crayon art several times before, including using duct tape to mask off designs or spray painting the designs on. Neither of those methods worked very well, but I recently found out that making the designs out of vinyl works perfectly.

The image can be viewed in a larger format on my Etsy site here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/167973133/narnia-the-lion-the-witch-and-the?ref=related-0

I've also made Game of Thrones and Hunger Games pieces which can also be viewed on my Etsy site.
"I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."
emeraldcityofoz
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: Melted Crayon Art

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Wow, that is really amazing! The color hues chosen are beautiful. How exactly do you do that? Are the silhouettes painted on, or pasted on, or? Really fascinating work!
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby wild rose » Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm

That's an amazing job, I never heard of crayon melting before, but it looks really neat. My favorite of the three is the first one with the lion, but they are all super nice. I second Bella, how did you make the sillhouettes?
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby emeraldcityofoz » Nov 05, 2013 5:35 am

Thank you both so much for the feedback!

Previously, I've hand cut duct tape to mask off the silhouettes before melting the wax and it didn't really work. Then I tried hand cutting stencils and spray painting the silhouettes on, and that didn't really work either. I finally bought an electronic cutting machine, which can cut the silhouettes for me, and I make the silhouettes out of vinyl, which has an adhesive backing. So it's basically like stickers, except I have to use something called transfer tape to pull the vinyl off the backing it comes on while preserving the spacing between all the pieces.
"I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."
emeraldcityofoz
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby johobbit » Nov 05, 2013 10:26 am

Beautiful work, emerald! I remember we did some crayon-melting art in art class in school, but mine turned out nothing like yours. ;)) The silhouettes are so finely distinct. So interesting to read of the process. How long would it take you to make one of these pieces?
johobbit

Postby emeraldcityofoz » Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

The step that takes the longest while making them is actually picking out which crayons to use. I like to get the big 120 crayon boxes because of the huge array of colors, and it takes a really long time to go through and find the ones I need. Gluing them to the canvas is also a bit time consuming. Melting one of them takes me about 15 minutes because I'm very particular about how I want the wax to melt. Cutting and applying the vinyl silhouettes is probably the quickest step. Doing both the Narnia and Hunger Games sets over the weekend took me around 5-6 hours to do, but a good chunk of that time was spent picking out which images I wanted to use for the silhouettes.
emeraldcityofoz
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby wild rose » Nov 06, 2013 5:53 am

wow, sounds like a painstaking effort, but the end result is really amazing :)
if you don't mind me asking, how do you melt the crayons? It sounds like a really interesting technique and not one I've heard of before :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby emeraldcityofoz » Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm

I used to use a blow dryer to melt the crayons, but I've found that using a heat embossing tool melts the wax more evenly and doesn't splatter as much.
emeraldcityofoz
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm

I really like what you did with the silhouette's, I hadn't thought of that before.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby You Will Find Me Bigger » Apr 04, 2014 2:57 am

Very cool looking. :)

So when you melt the crayons, do you hang the paper vertically and let the wax run down?
You can call me Willow if you want to.
You Will Find Me Bigger
NarniaWeb Regular