This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite illustration in the books?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Favorite illustration in the books?

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Oct 21, 2013 1:20 pm

What's your favorite ilustration in the narnia books, courtesy of Pauline Baynes?
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Favorite illustration in the books?

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 22, 2013 6:57 am

MOD NOTE:

All of the images for The Chronicles of Narnia are copyrighted. Please don't post any images in this thread, lest NarniaWeb get into legal trouble with the C.S. Lewis estate.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby coracle » Oct 23, 2013 12:37 am

Try making a virtual 'link' to your favourite picture - by naming book and chapter, and quoting the starting words of a paragraph, or describe what is happening at that point.

All of the Narnia works are copyrighted, including the Baynes illustrations.
As NarniaWeb does not have the permission of the copyright holder, we do not print chunks of text or copies of the illustrations.

This is because of our stance of respect for the books, the stories, the author and the Estate.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Reepi » Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:MOD NOTE:

All of the images for The Chronicles of Narnia are copyrighted. Please don't post any images in this thread, lest NarniaWeb get into legal trouble with the C.S. Lewis estate.

I find this somewhat strange, how is that different from making screencaps from the movies, for example?
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 05, 2013 4:34 am

All I know, is that the C.S. Lewis estate is very, VERY, picky about this sort of thing, and other sites who have posted Bayne's illustrations got into pretty hot water with them. I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense, but the rules are the rules, and it is the moderator's jobs to enforce them.

If you want to talk about the rules some more, feel free to PM a moderator or an administrator. As far as this thread goes, let's get things back on topic, or I'll have to lock this thread.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby coracle » Nov 05, 2013 11:22 am

Reepi wrote:I find this somewhat strange, how is that different from making screencaps from the movies, for example?

They are the professional work of an illustrator. They have been published in the books. They are copyright items.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lilygloves » Nov 12, 2013 11:09 pm

My favorite illustration is probably when Lucy is with Mr. Tumnus for the first time and he's describing Narnia in the spring. There are the four depictions of what he's talking about and I thought it was a nice touch and really shows the reminiscence of the scene.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Mar 21, 2014 12:18 am

I also really love the one of Aslan and the witch talking. I love how Aslan is on his hind legs, with his hands behind his back. It shows another side of him.

I personally consider it canon. Although I picture him to primarily walk on all fours, I personally believe that he stood up and walked on his hind legs during his conversation with the witch, and then dropping back down to all fours after they were finished talking.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aileth » Apr 01, 2014 11:06 pm

So hard to choose! Just one?

I think I'd have to pick the treasure chamber in PC. That was one of the first to jump to my mind.

Of course, there is the hunt for the White stag and rediscovery of the lamp post. That's a good one, too. And... and... and... oh dear.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby narnia fan 7 » Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm

That is a hard question all of Pauline Baynes illustrations amazing but if I had to pick one as my favorite is would be the one of dragon Eustace crying in the Valley.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Hmm, yes. . . that one is very emotion-provoking, isn't it! The sadness in Dragon Eustace's eyes always got to me.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 29, 2014 1:33 am

It's really between two. I love the illustration of Caspian and RD in VODT and the illustration of King Tirian meeting the friends of Narnia in LB.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 05, 2014 11:00 am

Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair have some of my favorite illustrations. I'm finding it very difficult to narrow it down and pick just one.

But maybe the one where Shasta and Bree meet Hwin and Aravis while being chased by a lion... that one sort of sets up the feeling of terror we get later in the story.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Oh my, there are so many. I really like the one with the beech dryad from The Last Battle; the tragedy of the moment is sketched so beautifully. I also love the illustration of the Lady of the Green Kirtle when she's playing her mandolin. Oh, and the coronation of King Frank and Queen Helen, surrounded by their Narnian subjects! I really like that illustration, along with the one showing the river god, the elephant, the oak tree, et cetera, that were to be part of Aslan's council. I also love the drawings of Fledge transforming; Pauline did a wonderful job bringing that to life. Another great one is the illustration of Jadis standing on top of the cab. That one is pretty incredible.

There are so many favorites. ;)) I've read MN recently, so a lot the illustrations from that book are standing out in my mind. I may have to come back and add to this list a few times. :P

I'm not sure if this really counts as an illustration, per se, but I also love the drawing of Lucy and Susan and Aslan on the cover of (at least some editions of) LWW. It's the one where they're dancing around with the string of flowers, right after Aslan has returned. It really captures the joy of that moment beautifully and I love to look at it. I think it's probably my favorite out of all the covers.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby fledge1 » Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am

My favorite is the picture of Lucy walking with Mr. Tumnus in the wood. You just see the back of them. As a kid I had horrible bad dreams. My older brother would read The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe to help me sleep. This part of the book always gave me a sort of peace. Sounds crazy I know. My brother explained it as "Look, Lucy must have been terrified, but Mr. Tumnus befriended her. (I was to little to understand what was happening haaha) but this picture became my favorite. Even have it as a tattoo. Great thread, wish more have responded, I like to read these.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Next