This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Why 2018?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Why 2018?

Postby jewel » Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm

What is taking so long for the next Narnia film? Will some of Narnia's fans fade out by then?
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Why 2018?

Postby Rilian The Disenchanted » Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm

C.S. Lewis estate doesn't want Walden Media to make more Narnia movies. They prefer to make it independent or with other studios. But they have to wait till 2018. Until 2018 they can only resell the rights to Walden Media.

Narnia (books) has had fans before the Walden movies and has endured for 60 years. So i think there will still be interest in 2018.
Rilian The Disenchanted
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Sep 11, 2013 2:51 pm

For the record, 2018 is an estimate made by us, not an official date.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby jewel » Sep 14, 2013 10:50 am

Yes not an official date. But what I really mean is why will the film be 2018 or later? That's what I was trying to get at in this post.
:)
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Sep 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Because there had to be a seven year moratorium between movies - this may mean when they can release one or when they can begin filming.
Look at our news area - there are a few items about this.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Annastar-2013 » Sep 20, 2013 10:57 am

I just hope they will start filming/showing us some sort of progress soon!

Thanks to DamselJillPole for the Signature and lover of narnia for the Avatar!
Annastar-2013
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Here's our Narnia 4 info page...
http://www.narniaweb.com/narnia-4/
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 28, 2013 6:46 pm

I agree that it would be great to hear more news and some sort of progress on a new Narnia film even though we all have to still wait out that moratorium of seven years. Even though now I consider it to be almost 4 years now since filming wrapped on VDT. It wouldn't hurt to hear something by now.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Oct 05, 2013 10:39 pm

I looked at some other information from a reliable source recently and it indicated that the moratorium required seven years between releases. This would allow a release in Dec 2017.
If that is any sort of encouragement?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby icarus » Oct 06, 2013 12:01 pm

coracle wrote:... This would allow a release in Dec 2017.

That makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the timing of this announcement.

Looking at FantasiaKitty's Production Timelines of the previous movies, LWW took around 4 years from announcement to completion. If Silver Chair were to follow a similar production timescale (and i would expect it would, given that we are pretty much starting from scratch on this one) then that would bring us up around the end of 2017.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Well, Dec 2017, then. But what about the other three movies to do? Mark Gordon company might have the options for Silver Chair, but does it have the options for the other three?

Walden did want to do Magician's Nephew, and didn't want to do Silver Chair. Is it possible that Walden might agree to let Silver Chair go in return for keeping Magician's Nephew?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby thephfactor1 » Oct 06, 2013 5:23 pm

I think perhaps Walden "let go" of all the Narnia properties as a result of moving away from feature films, but I don't really have any proof or anything.
thephfactor1
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Oct 09, 2013 11:24 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Walden did want to do Magician's Nephew, and didn't want to do Silver Chair. Is it possible that Walden might agree to let Silver Chair go in return for keeping Magician's Nephew?

No. We have official word that Walden will not be making any more Narnia films.
(and see earlier http://www.narniaweb.com/2012/05/gresha ... rnia-film/)

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Oh, I thought when we got the news about Silver Chair, that there might either have been an end to the moratorium Walden put on the Narnia series, or there might have been some sort of agreement, because of their not doing movies any more, not just Narnia ones.

If the moratorium is still in place, wouldn't that affect the hiring of actors, such as Liam Neeson, the CGI content, such as the way Aslan was done, etc? I know that Will Poulter is probably too old to play Eustace Scrubb in Silver Chair. But ideally, where a character returns from the 3 previous films, I would have liked to see the same actor again, if possible, even though most of these, even Trumpkin, are bit parts. The ones I have in mind, besides Peter Dinklage's Trumpkin, are Ben Barnes' Caspian, Gary Sweet's Drinian, and, perhaps, Laura Brent's Lilliandil.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby jewel » Oct 19, 2013 9:23 am

I agree with DamselJillPole here. More news about the next Narnia would be good to hear again. But it looks like right now, we are starting to here more.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Jul 26, 2014 12:40 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Well, Dec 2017, then. But what about the other three movies to do? Mark Gordon company might have the options for Silver Chair, but does it have the options for the other three?

Walden did want to do Magician's Nephew, and didn't want to do Silver Chair. Is it possible that Walden might agree to let Silver Chair go in return for keeping Magician's Nephew?

Good question. If they do good with SC hopefully they will have the rights to the rest.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Next