This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Oct 05, 2013 7:02 pm

I've experienced 42C but didn't enjoy it at all. I'm sure I'm one of those who would melt under your hot weather, IloveFauns. ;)) Give me 50F/10C anytime of the year!

The big winter storm west of here just gave us lots of needed rain rather than the white stuff. Places like Lead and Deadwood (in the Black Hills but not really mountainous) reported impressive snowfall amounts around 48 inches/1220mm. That's amazing by any measure, I think, especially early in October!

Here, the rain and high winds are knocking down a lot of the leaves. Normally our fall color peaks right around this time, so I'm still hoping for a bit of nice weather to go leaf-peeping and orchard-hopping before winter settles in for good.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 05, 2013 7:08 pm

I would hate it if it was 42c all year round( I do not enjoy such hot weather either). At least it is only a couple of days in January I prefer 15c-25c anything in that range is nice.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Haven't been on here, so I figured I should check in.
stargazer is right about this usually being peak for looking at fall colors on the trees. For many around the dry summer has made it more brown than anything else. I do have a sugar maple that has one branch with a vivid red to it while the rest of the tree is still holding on to it's green.
Weather generally is getting cooler with highs projected to be in the 50's tomorrow, and not topping 60's all of next week. Add to that the windy days we have been having, and I think it's getting close to time to be firing up the furnace.
We just had a bit of a storm blow through rather quickly. thankfully nothing bad, though the weather channel suggested the possibility that there were funnel clouds spotted in North Dakota from the same system.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 11, 2013 10:31 pm

In australia summer just comes at you. No warning. You will have a really nice day( a few clouds and 28c) and suddenly a week of 40c which starts about mid December. I am pale so when December comes, I will avoid going outside between 10-4. I haven't managed to get sunburn in 3-4 years and I do not wish to change that.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Oct 12, 2013 1:20 pm

The average temperature in my state for the month of October should be 60F quickly dropping into the low 50's around the middle/end of the month. We are now rapidly approaching the middle of October... what is the temperature? 75 degrees!

My house is covered in ladybugs, and I'm being constantly bombarded by wasps every time I go outside. In fact, a colony of them just built a nest in the front of the house, so we need to get the exterminator to come out again, the second time this month! Two wasps just got into the house today, one of which got into my bedroom. X(

Mother Nature is so confused now. Trees were changing colour and grass was drying up last week. Now while the leaves are still falling, dandelions and grass are starting to grow again. Ughh.

Is it bad that I'm eagerly awaiting the year's first snow flurries? :p
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am

Well it's definitely Fall in KS today. ;)) After a cold front moved through last night with a beautiful rain, it's quite crisp today. High of 64F I believe. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 15, 2013 9:54 am

Ditto here. After Sunday's spectacular autumn beauty, we got about an inch of cool rain overnight. Now it's a cloudy 55F/12C.

Our first frost comes October 7 on average; this year it will be a bit later. First frost is expected this upcoming weekend.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Oct 16, 2013 8:26 am

Good to know you don't readily get flooding, IlF.

IlF wrote:Saying that I would freeze to death during the uk winter.

Or in a Canadian one. :P No worries: we'd make sure you were warm and cozy. ;))

stargazer wrote:I've experienced 42C but didn't enjoy it at all. I'm sure I'm one of those who would melt under your hot weather, IloveFauns. ;)) Give me 50F/10C anytime of the year!

Hear-hear! :D And, you know, I have often wondered if I would be as much of a polar bear if I had grown up in the deep south. Who knows? ;))

Our friend Wiggle wrote:I do have a sugar maple that has one branch with a vivid red to it while the rest of the tree is still holding on to it's green.

We have some like that here. The trees I especially love are the ones who have such a lovely shape, whose colour begins to turn at the very top, and almost daily we can see the beauty move down its fullness. Simply gorgeous! As I am typing here, there are two outside my window now doing just that. ♥

Sounds beautiful, fantasia!
:D

Gen wrote:We are now rapidly approaching the middle of October... what is the temperature? 75 degrees!

Yep! Since what we had of spring was so late this year, our autumn timeline has been pushed back as well. And while it has not been quite that warm here recently, Gen, the temperature is, on average, 5° warmer than usual. So, we have not yet had any number of those really crisp fall days that are so grand. Like my MN friends, we here in southern Ontario have usually experienced the peak of colours by now. It's close, but not quite yet. Looking at the Niagara escarpment, there is still a beautiful mix of green in all the reds, yellows, and oranges. From the Fall Colour Report, anywhere from 35 - 75% colour change has taken place, whereas places in the Bruce Peninsula a few hours north of us have just passed the peak. We are hoping to travel up there next week, so there should still hopefully be a bit of autumnal beauty left. :)

Rain has been plentiful, along with sunny days. Everything is so lush! The only time our grass had a hint of brown in this summer was in early September when we had our longest spell with no precipitation. Usually that comes in July, but this year was a vastly different story. On Friday our temperatures are dropping to seasonal (yay) with great hiking/campfire/stargazing/apple-picking/leaf-colour enjoyment weather firmly in place. :D Hoping for a frost soon (none as yet, which is unusual), but that also means I have to keep a close eye on all my plants, especially the hibiscus, which will not tolerate that cold nip, so need to be removed indoors as soon as there is any hint of Jack. ;)
johobbit

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 17, 2013 3:31 am

Bush fires over east and and it has gone back to winter weather where I am. Honestly yesterday was fantastic as was the 2 days before. Please decide on the season already. Today it was windy and raining. I would of gave New south wales our rain if I could.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 17, 2013 3:40 am

Thanks ILF, we need it out east. Yesterday was beautiful, but there is only so much beautiful anyone can take. We went for an excursion on Sydney Harbour at its most picturesque. There was even one of those tall ships being led out of the harbour by a tugboat, a leftover from last week's navy jollities with Prince Harry as guest speaker.

Today was horrendous, with bushfires surrounding Sydney, in the Hunter, Blue Mountains, Central Tablelands and Illawarra regions. Everything is so dry that it isn't funny. No rain much since winter. :( At least Perth in the west isn't drought-stricken for once. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 17, 2013 3:49 am

Wagga wrote:There was even one of those tall ships being led out of the harbour by a tugboat

Whew! What a sight to see! That must have been very impressive. Did you get any photos?

It's FINALLY starting to feel fallish here. Our high for today is 57 degrees (about 13 Celsius). Gonna break out the scarves for the first day of the season today :D
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 17, 2013 2:56 pm

No, unfortunately, Digory Kirke. Or, at least, I took a couple of photos on my mobile phone, which I'm awkward with, and so they didn't come out very well. The tug & the ship were framed by Sydney Harbour Bridge from where we were, some distance away. There were no sails on the masts of the Tall ship. I'd have loved to have seen the flotilla of warships and all the sailing ships the previous week, but both hubby and I have been ill, so we didn't get to go, after all. The week before that, husband had been in hospital with suspected heart trouble, whilst I have been in a lot of pain with arthritis, which makes it harder for me to walk.

We did get to see some of the festivities on TV. As well as a fireworks display, there was a laser show commemorating the centenary of the Australian navy, & using the sails of the Opera House as a screen. Prince Harry represented his grandmother, and both the Governor-General, Quentin Bryce, and the Prime Minister were present, on HMAS Leeuwin. There were Australian ships, of course, but there were many from several other countries as well, according to the lift-out in the Daily Telegraph. It seems there were ships from New Zealand, UK, France, Spain, Papua Niugini, China, Japan, Singapore & Indonesia, and yes, there was one ship from USA.

The group we were to go with the previous Wednesday, didn't go to the Botanical gardens as planned, originally. Instead, they got a very good view of all the ships by catching one of the Harbour ferries, and having an impromptu harbour cruise.

Yesterday's bushfires have died down, as have the higher temperatures we have been having. But still there is not even a hint of rain. Meanwhile I'm worried about people we know who live in some of the worst affected parts of the Blue Mountains, not at all far away. At one point, the bushfires leapt over the Nepean River, coming within 6 km from where I am now.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Oct 18, 2013 7:55 am

Oh my, those bush fires are awful, wagga. :( In an opposite vein, though, your excursion to Sydney Harbour sounds delightful!

IlF wrote:Please decide on the season already.

;)) We can relate to that here in the past few weeks, although finally we have reached the turning point. Any mugginess has disappeared and the air is filled with that glorious autumnal crispness. Up until today, we had been 4 or 5° (Celsius) above average, but now we're hitting normal temperatures, which are around 11C/nearly 52F, but at night, down to 4 or 5C/39 or 41F. \:D/ Now, that's living! ;))

Loving my early morning walks with the brilliant starry sky above.

And, just heard this morning we could be receiving wet flurries next week! Very cool. Literally. ;)
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Oct 18, 2013 10:13 am

Unbelievably, it's snowing! :-o Well, sort of. ;)) There are clumps of snow mixed in with the rain, and it's certainly not sticking to the ground. It's not unusual for us to not see snow til January, so this is kind of funny. We'll be back in the 60Fs again tomorrow.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am

Wow. . . lucky you! I wish we had some snow. We're still in the heinous stretch of infernal sunshine. Where are my nice cloudy, cold, dreary autumn days?
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 18, 2013 10:59 pm

People from small countries. Sometime don't understand the vast spaces between places with in the same country(like we have in Aus and the USA). I have people asking me if my house survived the bush fires and it is pouring outside. This goes with travelling distances. They are so surprised when I saw I live close to perth and than say I don't when I say it is an hour and a half away.

Yes Wagawaga we are not in drought here in south-west for once. It is great for the farmer I guess. I am not a huge out door person so I don't mind at all.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext