This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Douglas Gresham Visiting the US for 3 Free Public Events

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Douglas Gresham Visiting the US for 3 Free Public Events

Postby DJKuo » Aug 30, 2013 10:14 pm

So, my awesome school, Asbury University, has invited Douglas Gresham to the states for 3 public events. Here are the details:

As a gift to the community — admission to all events will be free and open to the public — and in conjunction with the release of “C.S. Lewis: A Life Observed” by Lewis scholar and Asbury University Professor Devin Brown, Asbury is flying Gresham to the U.S. for three evening events Sept. 23 (7 p.m. at Asbury), Sept. 24 (7 p.m. at Vineyard Community Church in Cincinnati) and Sept. 25 (6 p.m. at Walnut Street Baptist Church in Louisville).

I've actually just recently graduated from Asbury University majoring in Media Communications. On display at the campus are some of the actual props used in Prince Caspian. At the bottom of the article linked there is info on interview requests. Should NarniaWeb send someone for an interview of Mr. Gresham?

For more information on any of the three events — including media credentials or interview requests — please contact Asbury University Director of Marketing and Communications Brad Johnson at bjohnson@asbury.edu.

Here is the article source: http://www.asbury.edu/news-events/news/2013/08/28/19991

Needless to say, I'll definitely be going to at least one of these events. :)
DJKuo
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Douglas Gresham Visiting the US for 3 Free Public Events

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 31, 2013 8:00 pm

Which US state is Asbury University in? It is hard to tell from this distance on the planet, but if anyone on NarniaWeb does live close by, and has the spare time, it would be great if we could be represented at these functions.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DJKuo » Aug 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Asbury is located in Wilmore, KY along with Louisville. Cincinnati is located nearby in OH just across the Ohio River from KY.

Also, not only will Mr. Gresham be speaking in the evening event at Asbury on Sept. 23rd but he will also be the speaker at that day's morning chapel service. Asbury posts all their chapel service on iTunes via Podcast for anyone interested in taking a listen when it comes out. :)
DJKuo
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Sep 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Now wouldn't it be great if we could have someone attend who could greet him afterwards and give him our best wishes?
(at least greet him in Aslan's name!)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Erulisse » Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I was there! I too attend Asbury University and was there to hear all three of the talks he gave at the University and later got to take a picture with him and get a book signed. Unfortunately I had not seen these posts before then and did not think to greet him for the forum. It was so cool though!

"The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm" (Exodus 14:14)
Erulisse
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Sep 27, 2013 3:28 am

Did you take any notes?
If you have pictures, can you possibly upload some to here?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Erulisse » Sep 27, 2013 9:53 am

Unfortunately I did not take any notes, but his first talk was in chapel and was recorded. If you wish to hear it you can find it on the university's website:
http://www.asbury.edu/podcasts

I only had my phone to take pictures so they weren't the best quality, but I will see if any of them were good enough to post.

"The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm" (Exodus 14:14)
Erulisse
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DJKuo » Oct 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Here are some photos I took from the event at Asbury.

Slideshow before the event.

Douglas Gresham being interviewed by Asbury professor, Dr. Devin Brown, author of the book, A Life Observed, a spiritual biography of C.S. Lewis. Douglas Gresham wrote the forward for the book.

Conclusion of the interview.

Mr. Gresham busy book signing.

My turn to get a photo with the man himself.
DJKuo
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Oct 03, 2013 12:26 am

Thank you! It's good to see this 'brought to life' by photos.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie