This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 01, 2013 7:18 am

Anna wrote:You didn't get much snow last year Digs? We got more than usual, but all in late winter. It was very welcome after the drought.

No, it was very bizarre! I can remember you and your sister's facebooks being lit up with status updates about the snow though ;)). Last winter we got a good deal of freezing rain, slush, and regular rain, but very little powdery snow. Very bizarre indeed.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby GlimGlum » Aug 03, 2013 11:03 am

It's been a little cooler here lately, below 90F/32C and even close to 60F/15.6C in the mornings. That helps to save on the air conditioning. :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby johobbit » Aug 07, 2013 10:54 am

wagga wrote:but those [around 14C/57.2F] are currently early morning winter temperatures down here. :( Although it is nice to have such a mild winter this July,

Wow, that is mild for winter! Hoping your summer isn't tooo hot, wagga.

coracle wrote:Today is the first day of August, and this is the month I used to look forward to in July, as I knew there would be some early blossoms, some early spring flowers, etc.

:) Enjoy the anticipation, coracle. As for our area, we are looking forward to the first colour-changing tinges of leaves. That will not be for awhile yet, though, but as we're in August now, it's closer than it was in July. ;) ;)) And I am keeping a weather eye on any and all sumac bushes. :D

DiGs wrote:It's been plenty cold in our winters (except this past winters. . . .) but just without much snow.

I'm hoping that that changes this year ;)

Throughout our past winter the snow was quite abundant around here, and long-lasting (well into spring). Hoping it will be the same this year! And more! :D It was the year before that sucked. :P

Yes, indeed, Puddleglum, the weather has been very conducive, overall, for gardening. B-) And I still can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use our hose to water. Thankful for continuing precipitation on a regular basis this year. This is the first summer in a few years where the grass has not turned brown/gone into dormancy at all. Unusually nice. :) And tonight is bringing in more storms, some very heavy, with potential flooding ... again.

Ara wrote:Ironically, I like writing about the weather and the changing light and moods during the days and seasons more than "interesting" things like people and grand events.

*Likes* :D

Glad you're getting some relief, Glim, so that the A/C doesn't have to be on so much of the time.

The clouds have moved in, and it is somewhat mildly sticky today (27C/80.6F), 'though not nearly the 44C/111F heat index of a few weeks ago. #:-s The forthcoming rain tonight should break this short-lived humidity.
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 07, 2013 8:47 pm

We had a bit of thunder the other day, with reports of power out in the twin cities for a few thousand homes. the news also showed a police car with it's back window broken by hail. thankfully there were no reports of injuries.
Today was actually quite cheerful. Sunny, light wind, low humidity. Picture perfect. As a Marsh-Wiggle I would have to think the other shoe has to drop sometime.
Guess what's in the forecast for tomorrow? 8-|
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 08, 2013 10:03 am

I'm loving this cool (for August) weather. Looks like it'll be a great weekend for camping.

I have friends in the area of the Twin Cities hit by that golf-ball size hail the other day. Apparently they will be getting new siding and a roof due to the damage.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm

It's been insanely humid here today. Fog lasted until noon, and we had MASSIVE showers come through multiple times this afternoon. My sister and I were trying to go some garage sales, but it was raining so hard that we couldn't see the road.

Hoping that this humidity bubble pops before too long. . .
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Aug 12, 2013 6:02 am

We have had rain, rain, and more rain here. Last week the flood waters finally crossed the farm road at my in-laws' place and filled up their property. Thankfully unlike in 2007 they didn't get any flood water in their houses. We had a break from the rain over the weekend but it's raining again this morning. :P My plants look fabulous. We had a jungle taming day in my backyard yesterday. :P ;))

The more notable weather news from here are the temperatures. :-o It's Summer! And the highs have been in the 80Fs almost constantly the past two weeks with a day or two hitting 90F. These are typically the hottest days of summer though I've been thoroughly enjoying the lack of crazy temps we've had the past two summers. The trade-off is that with all the rain, it's been Louisiana humid here a couple days. And 89F + high humidity is a lot more miserable than just straight up 100F.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Glad to hear the houses weren't flooded fantasia. It sounds like you've had the nonstop rain we had earlier this summer, except even more of it. It's actually been relatively dry here the last few weeks, though everything remains lush and green.

Agreed about humid weather being worse than dry weather with higher temps. Unfortunately, summers here tend to be pretty humid (at least by northern standards), with dewpoints commonly in the 70s. And while we've had some of that, I think we've also had more cooler, less humid weather this summer than is usual.

We're in the 'dog days' of summer but even those are cooler and drier than usual. 80F today felt uncomfortably warm. ;)) But the days are becoming noticeably shorter now as we approach my favorite time of year weather-wise: September with its crisp cool days, pleasant evenings full of stars, and fewer bugs and the promise of fall color soon to come.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Indeed. . . this weather is putting me in the mood for foggy, damp afternoons that come after crisp, cold, frosty mornings, all while the fiery trees disrobe in the howling breeze. . .
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 14, 2013 6:42 am

So the weather for the past two days has been brilliant! It's incredibly fall-like. Today's high is only 69 degrees! Overnight lows have been in the mid 40's, which is perfect sleeping weather!. It feels great to break out some of the fall clothing once again.

I'm hoping that this is a harbinger of what is to come this fall and winter. . . if it is, we polar bears are in for a real treat!!! :D
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Aslanisthebest » Aug 14, 2013 9:36 am

My weather is about the same as yours, Digs, and I'm just as thrilled!
It is very fall-like, but you know, there's still that scent in the wind that is missing, the one chill that comes and you know it's fall. Greatly anticipating that!
The weather has been very lovely lately - not too hot, not too cold. And it feels great not having to turn the air conditioning on. I'm just hoping for a few more days of warmth sunshine to ripen everything in the garden. After that, though, I am anticipating fall and winter! I hope this means we'll get many decent snowfalls.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 15, 2013 4:35 am

43F / 6C this morning. . . . . this is brilliant for August! Lots of places here in Ohio broke the record for the low temp. If I didn't know better, the ground looks a little "frosty" (but I know it's just an illusion created by the mixture of dew and fog).

*sigh*

If only it was gonna stay like this, but we're going to be back up in the eighties later this week.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 16, 2013 2:32 am

johobbit wrote:Wow, that is mild for winter! Hoping your summer isn't tooo hot, wagga.

Yes, it has been an extraordinarily mild winter, this year. Almost like having all four seasons in the one day, with midday temperatures like spring/summer, and autumn/winter only in the evening and at 5.00 to 6.00 am in the morning -no heaters either when getting out of a nice warm bed. :shivers: However, we have been told our winter weather is yet to come with icy conditions predicted for next week.

stargazer wrote:We're in the 'dog days' of summer but even those are cooler and drier than usual. 80F today felt uncomfortably warm. ;)) But the days are becoming noticeably shorter now as we approach my favorite time of year weather-wise: September with its crisp cool days, pleasant evenings full of stars, and fewer bugs and the promise of fall color soon to come.

I'm dreading summer, which may be every bit as horribly hot as anything I can ever remember here Down Under. :( We've even had the the first blow fly of the season buzzing around our back door, even if it is only August. September sounds delicious Up in the Attic, but September in Australia is sometimes nice, too.

Meanwhile, what exactly are the 'dog days'? I'm so curious about them I even asked that question in the 3 questions thread in Games and Blogs. I'd also like to know what is meant by the High days of summer. Why aren't there High days of winter?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Aug 17, 2013 12:35 pm

I cannot imagine the heat you have in an Aussie summer, wagga. But I suppose our talk of snowstorms and -35C temperatures probably are a bit odd to you. :)

I've heard two explanations for the expression 'dog days of summer.' The first is just that August tends to be hot and humid in mid-northern latitudes, and so dogs pant a lot and lazily lie around.

The other, which I find a lot more interesting, is that the Dog Star Sirius (brightest in the night sky) is more or less in the same direction as the sun in July and August (technically, heliacal rising), and the ancient Greeks and Romans said its blazing heat was added to the sun's to make the weather hotter.

I'm not sure why it's 'high summer.' Perhaps it's because the sun is highest then?
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Aug 20, 2013 11:09 am

Sounds like quite the storm you had, dear friend Wiggle!

And I thought we have had a lot of rain this summer, fantasia, but it's 'nothing' to what you and your extended family received! :-o Glad the houses were not flooded this time, at least.

stargazer wrote:But the days are becoming noticeably shorter now as we approach my favorite time of year weather-wise: September with its crisp cool days, pleasant evenings full of stars, and fewer bugs and the promise of fall color soon to come.

DiGs wrote:Indeed. . . this weather is putting me in the mood for foggy, damp afternoons that come after crisp, cold, frosty mornings, all while the fiery trees disrobe in the howling breeze. .

Bella wrote:It is very fall-like, but you know, there's still that scent in the wind that is missing, the one chill that comes and you know it's fall. Greatly anticipating that!

Indeed! :D

wagga wrote:However, we have been told our winter weather is yet to come with icy conditions predicted for next week.

Have those icy conditions arrived yet, wagga? Take good care!

So, for a couple of weeks we had a glorious mixture of cooler temperatures—sun, rain, clouds ... very manageable! But the humidity is building in again now, with a humidex tomorrow of 37C/98.6F, which, although too sticky and hot, is still 'better' than July's brutal humidity. Thunderstorms on Thursday should break this thick air, thankfully, so we're back to seasonal temps on the weekend with clear skies (25C/77F). Noticing so much how the sun is rising later and setting earlier. To us, this has always seemed especially pronounced in August, after hours and hours of daylight in July.
johobbit

Postby GlimGlum » Aug 20, 2013 11:41 am

Sounds like you have a variety, LOTS. Here, for the past week, we have been consistently between 95f/35C and 100F/37.8F. And only low 70Fs/21.1Cs in the morning.

Looking forward to an occasional "cooler" (below 90F/32C) day). :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

PreviousNext