This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's Daughter in SC

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Ramandu's Daughter in SC

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 03, 2013 2:39 pm

It has recently come to my attention that this is an overlooked costuming possibility. :p

There is at least one canon scene, the one where Ramandu's daughter and her Narnian court go a-Maying.

So far this necklace and this crown (thanks, De_De!) have been proposed as fit for a queen of Narnia.

I'm liking the mix of pale blue and pale green as a color palette. But how do you see her dress? Is it like this? Or would it draw from the heavier styles established for the Telmarines? What do you think? :D

And what other scenes with her do you think might show up in a movie version of Silver Chair? Perhaps a flashback or prequel with her and Caspian's wedding?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Ramandu's Daughter in SC

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Oh! Very, very beautiful costume combination right there! It looks very Narnian. It would blend right in with the other Narnians who are dressed, especially royalty.

Yes, I think a flashback to Caspian and her wedding would be a likely scene. I'd also like to seen a scene with young Prince Rilian, just to establish that the two had a son together. I can't really see any other reasons for flashback scenes other than the two listed above, but you never know what movie adaptations can do.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 04, 2013 4:04 am

Yes, the outfits for Ramandu's Daughter look very nice, and I'd hope we did see something of her as a young Queen and as Caspian's bride. The tiara you showed was nice, but I didn't like the three sprigs sticking up. I thought they made the tiara look too tall. I don't know what these pointy bits are called precisely - not arches. I'd think that Ramandu's Daughter would wear a tiara that from afar looked a bit like this one, called the Halo Cartier Tiara, but I'd prefer to see something that retained the leaves, foliage and colour of the one you've already shown, but definitely not a tiara that looked too intimidatingly tall.

There are other types of tiaras such as the tiaras on this website. Anything that looked as heavy as what the Queen wears would not be suitable in my opinion. These tiaras, on exhibition in London last year, which the Queen often wears on coinage and stamps, seem nowhere near as tall and complicated as those worn by her sister, grandmother and sundry other real life royalty. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has one called the Midnight Tiara which is supposed to gleam "lustres of lights and shades, like a starry, moonlit sky at midnight" and she has another one with oakleaves and rubies, both of which I thought looked a bit like Narnian jewellery but still too heavy.

Of course you don't do the real thing for a film.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 04, 2013 1:53 pm

I think the dress is nice, and I think the crown/tiara she's wearing with it is better than the one you suggested, Mel! I really like the necklace, though.

From that other site that was mentioned, I quite liked the Diamond and Pearl tiara - only I'm not sure it is Narnian enough for Ramandu's Daughter. If suitable, it would be because of the glittering starlight connection.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 04, 2013 9:48 pm

I don't know too much about dresses, but I would imagine her dress being something of a mix between what she wore in VDT and what Susan wore in the final scene of PC.

As far as the crown is concerned, I would imagine a design that directly references her celestial ancestry. -Something silver and shiny.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 05, 2013 3:01 am

This picture shows you Crown Princess Mary of Denmark's most noted tiara. I've often thought of this as the nearest thing to a proper Narnian tiara I've seen before that Midnight tiara. It certainly suits an Australian-born princess who is to be Denmark's future queen.

If you are discussing how to costume Ramandu's daughter in SC, shouldn't we be also discussing LOTGK? Yes, subtle shades of blue/green for her dress would be wonderful for Ramandu's daughter, as is shown in the illustrations at the head of this thread. But how do we costume the Lady of the Green Kirtle to compare and contrast with Ramandu's daughter as Queen? I'd want her to have a high sort of crown, but not at all like anything the White Witch wore. And definitely she would be wearing green of some sort. I wouldn't want her to wear the same subtle green shades as Ramandu's daughter.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 05, 2013 8:31 am

I was thinking along similar lines myself, Movie Aristotle, though I admit to trending a bit more toward how I wanted her to be costumed in VotDT.

Oooooh, that is a very good point about drawing a similarity between LotGK and Ramandu's daughter, wagga, especially in the first few scenes where she is the green lady in the wood. I've always pictured her in more vivid hues of green myself. If her gown is reminiscent of Ramandu's daughter's it would give a visual cue as to part of Rillian's fascination with her. Perhaps if the dress were constructed from heavier fabrics? I'm not getting any good mental images of a tall crown (okay, except Thranduil's from the upcoming Hobbit movie :p ) that would be fantasy-ish and different from the White Witch.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby starkat » Jul 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Blues and greens would make a good color palette, but I would think, since they were out Maying it would be something a little more vibrant than something pale. Maybe something in royal blue, but in a lighter weight material so that it flows. Then have the tiara and any other accessories like a belt in silver. Or maybe in yellow. Something to play off the green grass and tree coloring. Green would just blend in too much.

It would be spring and even though she is the daughter of a star, she'll have been in Narnia for some time at that point and likely would have adapted to the customs of her adopted home.
starkat

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 05, 2013 3:33 pm

I do like blues and greens for her costumes, but kat's point about nothing too washed out is a good one. Her Maying outfit should be light and fresh and Spring-like, flowing and somewhat informal (as fitting for a picnic outdoors), but it would be nice for her outfit to be something very strong in a way. I think it would be good to have something bold that makes her look very strong and alive, so that the paleness from the poisoning is a great contrast. Maybe? ;))

I would think it not unlikely for a scene of her funeral to be shown, but I don't have any ideas for what that outfit could look like besides being rather formal.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby starkat » Jul 05, 2013 3:37 pm

For a funeral outfit, I would go with something similar to what she wears when she meets Caspian on her father's island. Not necessarily the same dress, but something at least cut in the same style. That way it hearkens back to her initial introduction in the series. Definitely silver for the accessories for that. Maybe a light tiara, something more ornate for a necklace (a clear gift from either Rilian or Caspian), and a ring with a stone set in it.
starkat

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 06, 2013 3:50 am

How the funeral would be done and what she would wear depends very much on how how you'd imagine Ramandu's Daughter would be buried and where. Would the funeral arrangements include fire, water, earth or air, for example?

Even if it was earth, I'd imagine that Ramandu's Daughter would be buried in the same outfit in which she died, since apart from cleaning her up a bit, they might feel uncomfortable at doing more than that. Anywhere else but Narnia I'd have reservations about any sort of jewellery to be buried in, due to grave robbers etc. Even in Narnia, I'd be wary of the likes of that snake turning up again, maybe to do something nasty with the silver jewellery.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 06, 2013 9:17 am

starkat wrote:Blues and greens would make a good color palette, but I would think, since they were out Maying it would be something a little more vibrant than something pale.

Admittedly, when I think of a-Maying party I think this image rather than this one which is more what you're describing, kat.

A lot of the images I turned up in image search come from the turn of the century imagining of the custom (which was an aesthetic Isis Mussenden drew on for LWW) and were pastel and white. But there is this one that mixes it up a bit...

Perhaps the funeral dress could be a dark blue version of what she wore at her introduction; that would provide a stark contrast... A watery burial would be an interesting and fitting twist but might make the scene with Caspian at the end confusing. Or maybe it'd be a nice symmetry.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby starkat » Jul 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes, but based on the existing Telmarine and Narnian color palettes, I could see her style evolving into something much more colorful than she would have worn prior to her marriage to Caspian. The palette for the Narnian clothing even in VDT was much richer in tone than the Telmarine colors.
starkat

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 06, 2013 11:49 pm

That is in the Walden VDT, I take it. The BBC VDT Ramandu's daughter's dress, if I remember, was a glittery light blue, with some weird sort of matching headdresses worn by both Ramandu and his Daughter at a wedding scene at the end.

Yes, a darker blue would be better for Ramandu's daughter as a Queen, since she would have become more human. In the BBC editions of both VDT and Silver Chair I get the idea that the costuming had a distinctly Renaissance feel to it, especially in SC. Would you continue this trend into a new production?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Even in the BBC LWW there was an Italian Renaissance feel to the Narnian outfits. I don't think I'd stray too far from that time period but I might head into Germany for inspiration.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Eustace » Jul 07, 2013 1:19 pm

I really love the dress Meltintalle mentioned. It was a nice green color. I think greens and blues go nicely with her blond hair. But I also think white gowns go nicely with her, especially since she is the daughter of a star. I think that this gown would go well with the Midnight Tiara.

http://armstreet.com/store/clothes/medieval-white-cotton-dress-chess-queen
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next