This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby stargazer » Apr 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Yup, the snow just keeps on coming. ;)) We'll chuckle at this when the temps are in the 90s and the dewpoints are in the 70s.

...which may not be that far off after all. It'll snow tomorrow but by Friday we should have the first 60F (16C) reading of the year - about a month late - with 70s possible over the weekend. That's one disadvantage of a late winter - we skip over spring and go right into summer.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

The weather here has had a really split personality these past few days. Thursday our high was 80. Friday was 45. Saturday was 50. Sunday was 60. Yesterday was 60. Today was 75. Tomorrow is 45. Crikey. . . it makes the heat feel hot and the cool feel cold at the same time. Stinkin' fluctuations! I just want nature to make up its mind already.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Apr 24, 2013 4:54 am

There's snow... on the ground... in late April. Snow.... 8-} We definitely set a new record low overnight last night. That's ok though, it's going to be in the mid 70Fs again here in a couple days, now that all the plants are dead. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Apr 24, 2013 9:37 am

6 inches of fresh, wet heavy snow here yesterday morning - but a lot of it melted during the day. Highs remain stuck in the low 40sF/around 5C, but will jump into the season's first 60+ reading Friday and even warmer over the weekend. It may start turning green around here next week.

I saw some coverage of the Kansas snow. Amazing!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Apr 25, 2013 5:26 pm

stargazer wrote:The Twin Cities snow season extends to May 28. Hey, as long as we're doing this, what say we break that record too!
Wow. That late. The snow looked so beautiful Tuesday morning that I quite forgave the weather for snowing in April. Apparently, this is the 3rd snowiest April in the Twin Cities.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby stargazer » Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

...And Duluth has notched its snowiest month ever - in April, no less, with 51 inches (1290mm) - and 95 inches (2410mm) just since February 1.

It's not even 11 am local time and the Twin Cities has finally notched its first 60F reading of the season (about a month late). But so much for spring...we are expecting to reach 70F/21C later today.

Reminds me of that old weather joke told around these parts: "Sure, I remember last summer [spring in this case] - it came on a Tuesday and I had to work."

*rimshot*
stargazer

Postby GlimGlum » Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Our cool season appears to be over. Saturday was 90F/32C and Sunday 92F/33C. Also, our rainfall is below normal: Season: 6.68", Normal: 12.03".
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby stargazer » May 01, 2013 3:52 pm

That's just too hot, Glimmie!!

It was close to 80 here over the weekend; a walk in a nearby park showed budding trees and plants ready to burst into life. Now, it's 45 degrees cooler and snowing. ;))

May snow isn't all that rare here (maybe one in every 3 years) but we're looking at potential May records - 5 to 7 inches expected here by tomorrow. Don't put those shovels away quite yet!
stargazer

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 01, 2013 5:20 pm

stargazer wrote:May snow isn't all that rare here (maybe one in every 3 years) but we're looking at potential May records - 5 to 7 inches expected here by tomorrow. Don't put those shovels away quite yet!

If we are going to have May snow, we might as well break the record. ;)) It has snowed off and on here but nothing has accumulated ... yet. Yesterday I was outside without a coat and today I was back in a coat and gloves. :P
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby stargazer » May 02, 2013 1:34 pm

That 5 to 7 was wrong! 12 inches of snow on the ground here in far southern Minnesota (Albert Lea) to welcome the month of May...some tree branches fell on cars in the parking lot, and we were without power for a while today. And Owatonna ("Owl City") got at least 15.5 -a new all-time state record for May.

This photo seems appropriate. ;))
stargazer

Postby fantasia » May 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Here in Kansas we're setting more records. Western Kansas has had accumulating snow later than this date before (1915 :P ), but central and eastern Kansas have not. I don't know that we'll set any snow records here in the southeast, but central Kansas likely will. It was almost 90F/32C here two days ago so no snow accumulation for us. It melted on contact. :P

I ran both the A/C and the heater yesterday. Ah, the midwest in the spring... it's so fickle. :P

However, we are starting to have some issues with these late really cold temps. I know it's doing a number on the wheat in Western Kansas, I don't know about here... It's supposed to get down to 30F/-1C tonight so we'll see what happens.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » May 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Snow days in May... I'm starting to believe the White Witch is real! The snow here is not the light, fluffy kind; it's heavy! I actually made a snowman for fun. :p
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » May 02, 2013 3:29 pm

0.0 *reads all these posts about snow*

and we've had highs in the 60's and 70's (F) all week here on the shores of Lake Ontario... I'm surprised it's this warm... and dry...

See if it snowed here in May or in the Adirondacks I wouldn't be surprised, though it'd be on the rare side especially as of late... But not in Kansas... and not like that o.0 We've had a few flurries in late April but it melted on contact with the ground...

But spring has arrived (I think :P if a season ever truly ever does arrive here) for the time being... I'm enjoying the grass, and the flowers, and the sweet call of the loon... I will admit I did miss it a little ;)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Puddleglum » May 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Indeed, this is a fickle piece of weather we are having. While the southern edge of the state is digging out, ( take care with all that heavy stuff stargazer, I don't want to hear of a strained back ) we are awaiting 70's by next tuesday. The lawn is turning green, and unfortunatly it's not all grass. Yardwork. Oh Joy :((
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 03, 2013 12:50 am

Meanwhile, despite some scattered showers we have been enjoying surprisingly mild weather. Even at night it isn't always that cold. Just a chilly night here and there. Today's maximum and minimum was 13° - 23° C. We've got a way to go before the weather properly breaks for winter. And on today's news there is a good picture of a sun flare.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

I haven't had a chance to post in here since mid-March :-o—and have missed it, 'though I have kept up with everyone's weather stories. However, I'm getting back into the swing of things now. :)

A summary: our March was a typical March—cold nights with the days not being utterly frigid anymore—making for a grrreat maple sugar season here in Ontario; our April was cooler than average with a mixture of rain and snow throughout (gracious, the first spring flowers were utterly confused ;)); our May has begun a bit warmer than usual (early 20sC/early 70sF), although that is changing on Friday when our daytime will drop to 9C/48.2F and nighttime? 5C/41F. Back to great walking temperatures again. \:D/

wagga, your bird paragraph made me drool with near-envy. Fantastic!

On my early morning walks about a month ago when the spring birds were first beginning to awaken the morning with their calls, the most common ones I heard were cardinals (oooh, how I love their songs), robins (commonplace, but still pretty), woodpeckers (tap-a-tap-tap-tap), and mourning doves (so hauntingly beautiful).

stargazer, thanks for that informative post and link (page 97) about the astronomical and meteorological seasons. :)

After over a week of completely blue skies and sunshine, we are now anticipating a few days of rain, which are needed. Through Sunday, I believe, but with the cooler temperatures continuing into next week. I'm not complaining. :ymsmug: My perennials have responded to that warm sun over the past few days, and are bursting at their seams. :D

And :)) at the rodent-not-meteorologist photo, 'gazer!

I see others here have had snow late into the season this year as well, especially the MNers! What a very bizarre spring it has been for many.
johobbit

PreviousNext