This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Seven Lords!? Coracle!? Other Cool Stuff! *spoilers*

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Seven Lords!? Coracle!? Other Cool Stuff! *spoilers*

Postby icarus » Nov 20, 2009 4:09 pm

I was half tempted to post the following in the rumours section of the forum, but in the process of saving the photos to my harddrive for closer analysis my level of doubt decreased quite considerably, and im now 80-90% certain of these being what i think they are. That said, there is no guarantee that i am correct on this:

Anyway, on my usual internet narnia searches i came across the CV of a man called Chris Martin who stated that he did some prop construction on Voyage of the Dawn Treader. So i headed on over to his website to look at some of his work - and wow! :ymapplause:

There are several props that are definitely from VDT, the most notable being the helm of the dawn treader, which is absolutely stunning up close.

http://www.chrismartin.org/uploads/2/3/ ... 3_orig.jpg

The level of detail and craftsmanship in it is amazing. Also there is a lamp, and some sort of storage boxes, both of which can be seen in photos on board the Dawn Treader itself.

Then there are a couple of pieces which are quite probably from VDT - the most notable being an odd chair thing, which in one photo can be seen in an outside storage area, with some treasure chests and stuff that i swear look identical to the ones we saw in the potential Dragon Cave set photos.

http://www.chrismartin.org/uploads/2/3/ ... 6_orig.jpg

Also, the swirly shell, and the spiky shells on sticks i both belive can be seen in the Lone Islands Wharf photos - the spiky shells on sticks seem to be some sort of street lamps running along the wharf side.

Then there are the two super cool ones....

The first one, well, even if it isn't from Dawn Treader, the only way i would ever choose to describe this item would be a mouse-sized Coracle! Go check it out, it is really really sweet. :D

http://www.chrismartin.org/uploads/2/3/ ... 9_orig.jpg

Then the second one. It took me a while to realise the significance of the handdrawn profile pictures he had drawn..

http://www.chrismartin.org/uploads/2/3/ ... 0_orig.jpg

But then i noticed one had a picture of what looked very much like a Telmarine Lord costume next to it....

http://www.chrismartin.org/uploads/2/3/ ... 0_orig.jpg

then i saw another photo, of a room which looked very much like a ship's cabin, with a desk that looked very much like a ship's cabin desk, with a map, and sextant, and other related nautical stuff.... and in the background, a pinboard with hand-drawn portraits of SEVEN men....

http://www.chrismartin.org/uploads/2/3/ ... 2_orig.jpg

Someone please go look at this and tell me that's Captain Drinian's office with pictures of the Seven lost Lords on the wall.. :D.... (note If you look at the picture of the cabin door from the outside (which is definitely onboard the dawn treader) and compare it to the design of the door seen in the background of the potential cabin photo, i am certain they are a perfect match!)

Go see them all here:

http://www.chrismartin.org/portfolio.html

Not sure how long those pictures will be there for, so take a look while you can!
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Seven Lords!? Coracle!? Other Cool Stuff!?

Postby bkey » Nov 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Great find, icarus. You never cease to amaze.

Looking at the pictures of the presumable 7 lords, the one on the top left definitely looks a lot like Terry Norris (Lord Bern) in my opinion.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Seven Lords!? Coracle!? Other Cool Stuff! *spoilers*

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 20, 2009 5:13 pm

All of the art is beautiful!Thanks so much icarus!
I'm especially psyched about the coracle. It looks perfect except it's not round, but you can't have it all. The wheel is great. Will the portraits be used as sort of "wanted" pictures by the Narnians or are they just concept art?
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby bkey » Nov 20, 2009 6:28 pm

It looks like the portraits of the lords will actually be hanging in Drinian's cabin, which really makes sense. They've got to have some method of identifying them.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ForeverFan » Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Wow! The detail is indeed amazing- thank you for sharing icarus! :) I especially love how the helm looks. :D (Although everything looks great, of course!) :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Nov 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Wowsers! Great find Icarus. This man has true talent.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Nov 20, 2009 8:56 pm

wow! these pictures are SO cool! the wheel for the ship is awesome! so beautiful! wow! I cannot wait to see the movie!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Adeona » Nov 20, 2009 9:02 pm

Wonderful discovery Icarus! Thank you! Have you ever considered being a detective? ;)

Well, that sure looks like a coracle to me! And the helm is beautiful, probably my favorite of the pieces.
That old wooden chair is pretty strange. What on earth could it be for?
And those seven men on the pin-board - what else could they be! One little note about that one; can anyone tell what the two words on the little banner at the top of the pin-board say? It looks like the first one is Sun... or Son.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby fantasia » Nov 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Amazing... absolutely amazing. Craftsmen are so underappreciated. Just LOOK at that coracle. It's adorable! And the seven lords!?!?!?! I also loved the fact that we got our first look standing on the deck of the Dawn Treader. You can see some of the work done on the floor of the ship.

Again, we haven't heard back yet about the Ramandu's Island concept art, and I CERTAINLY won't be posting this on the front page without permission. I'm sure things like the helm wouldn't be an issue, but a lot of this other stuff.... I'm sure that Chris Martin never in the world have thought us Narnia fanatics *cough*icarus*cough* would find his stuff if he didn't label it.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Great finds icarus. I wonder if the coracle is meant to be a model for the digital version of Reepicheep's coracle (most likely it is the real thing), or it might, slightly possible, be a miniature model for the group coracle when they sail to the very end of the world (only time will tell). I'm not too impressed with the one close-up image of the skecth of one of the seven missing lords (I'm assuming that's what it's for). However, all seven look good posted on the wall, just not in the close-up detail. The ship cabin with all the sketch portraits really is fantastic. It definitely feels like it belongs with the DT. Again, nice finds.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bookwyrm » Nov 20, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm am amazed by how good all of that looked, especially the helm. Absolutely gorgeous work! :D
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 20, 2009 11:31 pm

icarus wrote:Someone please go look at this and tell me that's Captain Drinian's office with pictures of the Seven lost Lords on the wall.. .... )

The 7 Lords have been found by icarus; no need to release VDT now. ;)
More good stuff by our #1 finder of hidden treasures.

I echo the previous sentiments about the craftmanship and detail work done. VDT is in exceptionally good hands, it would appear. If the quality of the movie as a whole matches these individual items, get ready for The Silver Chair. :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby ceppault » Nov 21, 2009 6:45 am

Thank you, icarus. I almost got as giddy as when a new location is found. :p I think you can very safely say that would be Drinian's cabin, icarus. The dimensions fit nicely.

Indeed. Amazing, rich details. This should put to rest that only Weta can create such amazing details for Narnia.

It would nice to see this topic stay below Fox's radar. Not sure how possible that it.

Drawing of a lord on the lower left: looks like a young Bruce Spence.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnialover101 » Nov 21, 2009 8:22 am

What an amazing find! Thanks so much for sharing, icarus! Couldn't agree more about the details; everything looks fabulous! Really exciting to see Reep's little coracle; can't you just picture Reep rowing away in that? :ymapplause:

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 21, 2009 8:31 am

You really are amazing, icarus! :ymapplause: I have a terrible time finding anything on the internet.
The pictures are amazing.
GlimGlum wrote:The 7 Lords have been found by icarus; no need to release VDT now. ;)
=))
Adeona wrote:One little note about that one; can anyone tell what the two words on the little banner at the top of the pin-board say? It looks like the first one is Sun... or Son.
The first one does look like Sun or Son. At least I'm pretty sure the first letter is an S. I tried enlarging it but I couldn't make any more out. The first letter in the second word might be a D but I'm not sure.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby icarus » Nov 21, 2009 1:23 pm

The amount of CVs and crew member websites i've looked through in the past few months, just looking for even a scrap of something Dawn Treader related with no luck... i almost had a heart attack when i saw all this stuff! :D Its all so absolutely beautiful!

ceppault wrote:Amazing, rich details. This should put to rest that only Weta can create such amazing details for Narnia.

Weta who? ;)

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:
Adeona wrote:One little note about that one; can anyone tell what the two words on the little banner at the top of the pin-board say? It looks like the first one is Sun... or Son.
The first one does look like Sun or Son. At least I'm pretty sure the first letter is an S. I tried enlarging it but I couldn't make any more out. The first letter in the second word might be a D but I'm not sure.

I thought the first letter was definitely an S as well, but i can't make it fit with the rest of it to form anything logical.

That said, i'm half wondering whether it doesn't say "Cair Paravel". The wall behind the seven pictures looks to be a map, and that could possibly be a label on the map face pointing to the position of Cair Paravel.

Aside from that first letter, i can kind of make the rest of it fit with "Cair Paravel" in terms of the word lengths and shapes.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next