This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby coracle » Apr 06, 2013 3:31 am

Same here. We've had a long drawn-out dry summer, and finally it's been cold enough to wear warmer clothes and put the heaters on. Tonight I even used the logfire. (I'm going to miss having it, in my new home, which I move into in 3 weeks. So let's see how many nights I can light the fire, and use up most of the remaining wood.)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 06, 2013 5:00 am

And here in the wild lands of the north, spring is finally starting to. . . well. . . spring. It's been a long time coming. This past March was the coldest March I can remember, and starting off April with morning temperatures in the teens is insane.

We're supposed to get a good deal of rain this week with temperatures ranging from the upper fifties up to seventy! (Time for shorts!!!)

And our boat went in the water yesterday. . . . a sure sign of spring's arrival.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Aslanisthebest » Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm

^ hearty ditto. :D

I couldn't believe how warm it was today. It felt like it was in the 60's. I didn't need my sweater; there really was no different between indoors and outdoors. There were powerful gusts of wind predicting rain, which was really what made it slightly unpleasant out and only because I was trying to put my greenhouse together. We've put away our winter hats and scarves and brought out our brighter clothes! Yay! :D
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Adeona » Apr 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Too bad about moving away from your fireplace, coracle. :(

Sorry to hear that you're having cold weather still, too, DiGoRy.

That sounds lovely, Aslanisthebest!

It's been snowing up here in Alaska all weekend. The unexpected comeback of winter. :p 8-| Most of our snow had melted before this started. Now who knows how long we'll have to wait for this stuff to go. Our area's had about seven inches in the past two days.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Adeona, how's the sea ice up your way in Alaska? Or are you too south or east for that? I thought that Northern Alaska, at any rate, would be pretty much permafrost.

coracle wrote:Same here. We've had a long drawn-out dry summer, and finally it's been cold enough to wear warmer clothes and put the heaters on. Tonight I even used the logfire. (I'm going to miss having it, in my new home, which I move into in 3 weeks. So let's see how many nights I can light the fire, and use up most of the remaining wood.)

A log fire sounds nice, but we aren't in need of any heaters just yet. Thankfully, not the power-munching sort that send electricity bills skyrocketing. I'm just grateful to be able to stop running around the house lowering shutters and drawing the curtains to keep use of power-munching air-conditioners and fans to a minimum.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Apr 08, 2013 8:32 pm

After three days of nearly perfect mid-70F weather, there is a chance of snow tomorrow night.

....... 8-} /:) :-o

Oh, and a chance for tornadoes most of the day tomorrow as the cold front moves through. Yay.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Speaking of snow...I stepped out earlier today to sleet, which soon became heavy snow. It didn't last long however. But the forecast hints that this is the calm before the storm, with 6-10 inches forecast here over the next couple days as this storm passes.

But Rapid City, South Dakota has already received 7 inches with up to 18 expected. And parts of southwest Minnesota have already closed schools early as 12-18 inches are expected there as well.

Ah, spring... ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 09, 2013 3:58 pm

High of 82 degrees here in Columbus today (that's 28 degrees Celsius). Thankfully, it's heinously windy, so it doesn't feel very hot. That being said, I've had to run my air conditioner all day long.

Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow :P
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Kansas made national news yesterday when Goodland KS was 17F and Topeka KS was 74F. ;))
We didn't end up getting any snow. Instead we have a layer of ice all over everything. :( :P My husband ran out last night and moved a lot of our potted plants back into the greenhouse, and we threw a black trashbag over our little cherry tree and tied it on with duct tape. Looks kind of funny but I don't care. :P
I'm hoping that the herbs and flowers we uncovered over the weekend turn out ok. It wasn't predicted to get this cold.
Sadly, the fruit trees in the area are likely done for the season. They were all blooming. :(

Of course, we're supposed to be in the 70Fs again by the weekend.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm

WA has had the hottest April since 1974 and this disappoints me, i was looking forward to cooler weather. It isn't extremely hot.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am

I saw those Kansas reports on the national news. Ah, spring.

Rapid City ended up with a record-setting 27 inches (685mm) of snow from this storm. Towns in southwestern Minnesota received over an inch of ice which brought down power lines and trees before another 6 inches of snow fell on them.

We only got about 6 inches of snow here since it was warm enough for freezing rain overnight. We did have very heavy snow here this morning, with thundersnow (which always sounds pretty cool). We could get up to 5 inches more over the next day or so. It's that wet, heavy 'heart attack snow' but it's still rather pretty outside. Sure beats swatting mosquitoes like we were last year at this time!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Just got cleaned up from chasing the snowblower around AGAIN #:-s
We had some 6 to 8 inches fall in a couple hours. I guess we are still earning the nick-name "Minnesnowta". As stargazer said, it's "heart attack" snow, nice, and heavy. I had to stop, and clear the chute about a half-dozen times.
The frustrations not just in our receiving such a late snow, but the fact that it won't be here long. If the weatherman is right, ( and he always is ;) ), then we should see all this melt off in a few days. At least you would think it would stay long enough so you could do something with it, build a snowman, stockpile some snowballs for the neighbore.
I was thinking about a catapult, but I think there might be some objections from the Mrs.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm

As stargazer said, it's "heart attack" snow, nice, and heavy.

Why is it called "heart attack" snow? Just asking. 8-}
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Apr 11, 2013 5:38 pm

wagga, unlike light, fluffy powder snow (which usually falls in the dead of winter), this sticky end-of-the season stuff is much higher in moisture content. So it's very wet, heavy, and dense, and people shoveling it have been known to have heart attacks.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Ah, now I see! Thank you for your explanation. I'd get such a surprise that it might result in a heart attack if it snowed properly at all where I live, let alone the type of snow you get.

So far the weather has been as idyllic as you'd expect in the South Seas. IloveFauns said it had been hot, but on tonight's news they said it was raining over there. Brisbane is getting more but we don't expect anything untoward until Monday.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Hard to think about hot weather when it's still snowing. ;))

We ended up with about 12 inches (310mm) from this storm, though it's compressed down to about half that due to melting. This morning we had more of the wet, heavy snow but it has turned over to sleet and rain. We still have snow everywhere.
stargazer

PreviousNext